Truth and Reconciliation... Legitimacy

Why would they build it in the reserve and not in the population centre?

Well in the case of Walmart their application had already been denied by city hall. Theres also cost savings, and saving in red tape. White folks make too many stupid little rules and regulations.

And the piece of reserve land is pretty much right in the middle of the population center, as is often the case.

The principles involved in making a reservation economy work are no different than any other economy... you need to limit the flight of dollars. Even the poorest of people spend money... so the key is to make sure natives dont need to leave reserve to spend it. They need to be able to buy food, gas, liquor, cash checks, etc etc. This is where the focus should be. And if at all possible they need to be luring more dollars into the community by setting up or allowing businesses to operate that sell products and services to people off reserve.

Edited by dre

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the piece of reserve land is pretty much right in the middle of the population center, as is often the case.

I've spent a lot of time on reserves, and I've yet to encounter one that was that conveniently located. Things must be very different in your area.

Please show proof of Harper, and Canada supporting genocide.

Dude... get lost. We have had 70 pages of discussion in this thread about the definition of that word, and whether or not what Canada did meets the definition. Go back and read it for gawd sakes.

Jesus.

Please show proof of Harper, and Canada supporting genocide.

Ample proof of Canada supporting genocide exists because it continued for over a century. Harper supports genocide by providing cover for those who perpetuated it.

You're either a supporter of genocide or one who is against genocide. Odd how the Nazis were the devil incarnate, but when one becomes just like the Nazis in kind, "reconciliation" becomes the new buzz word.

Edited by Je suis Omar

Dude... get lost. We have had 70 pages of discussion in this thread about the definition of that word, and whether or not what Canada did meets the definition. Go back and read it for gawd sakes.

Jesus.

lol.

Dude, get lost. Classic. How about, uh, no.

I've read it. Still don't see it.

You may be fine with comparing our democratically elected prime minister and the rest of the citizenship of Canada with nazism, but I'm not.

If that is his argument for the statement, I'll ask for clarification each and every damn time.

You don't like it?

tgdfbah

lol.

Dude, get lost. Classic. How about, uh, no.

I've read it. Still don't see it.

You may be fine with comparing our democratically elected prime minister and the rest of the citizenship of Canada with nazism, but I'm not.

If that is his argument for the statement, I'll ask for clarification each and every damn time.

You don't like it?

tgdfbah

Go away.

lol.

You may be fine with comparing our democratically elected prime minister and the rest of the citizenship of Canada with nazism,

You're way too emotionally invested in the bs, DD, "democratically elected".

Democratic, rule of law countries don't hide their genocides, their government and societal nazis. You know, having been steeped in democracy, what is supposed to happen in those situations.

The FN people stay on the reserves because they're given money to do so. They are manipulated by their own bands and chiefs to stay. If they all decided to leave the reserve, the band/chiefs would get no money, and the FN's people would have to work. It's a sick cycle.

The white man isn't holding them back, their own people are.

Cite?

:/

The FN people stay on the reserves because they're given money to do so. They are manipulated by their own bands and chiefs to stay. If they all decided to leave the reserve, the band/chiefs would get no money, and the FN's people would have to work. It's a sick cycle.

A century long Canadian government genocide (supported to this day by many Canadian "citizens") set up and is responsible for this sick cycle.

What have you done to end the cycle?

I can't give you a source. What I can tell you from direct experience spending time in the suburbs, the inner city, and near or on a reserve, and from having direct involvement with emergency and social services and the statistics that come with, it's not the same level.

The reason is simple - the lack of purpose that is most prevalent on northern reserves.

The issue is that when a stereotypical suburban housewife is hooked on prescription drugs and drinks too much, she silently goes to rehab and she doesn't become a statistic. When a banker on Bay St. is hooked on cocaine, he typically ends up in rehab or pulling strings to stay out of jail and off the official statistics. When indigenous peoples disproportionately living in poverty use drugs and drink too much they end up in jail or other social service networks and become statistics.

The issue is that when a stereotypical suburban housewife is hooked on prescription drugs and drinks too much, she silently goes to rehab and she doesn't become a statistic. When a banker on Bay St. is hooked on cocaine, he typically ends up in rehab or pulling strings to stay out of jail and off the official statistics. When indigenous peoples disproportionately living in poverty use drugs and drink too much they end up in jail or other social service networks and become statistics.

cite please.

Ppl other than aboriginals are indeed statistics.

You want me to cite those problematic statistics? There are people other than aboriginals who are statistics in this case. Poor people of other races too. Except that aboriginal peoples are disproportionately impoverished, as I mentioned in my post.

I've spent a lot of time on reserves, and I've yet to encounter one that was that conveniently located. Things must be very different in your area.

No kidding. That's not my experience or any version of reality.

Residential School Survivor Stories are not ancient history.

If you were Native, these would be your parents and grandparents stories, and perhaps your own.

I am a grandmother.

I have an 11 year old grandson.

While I was 11, living a safe happy life in small town Ontario, Charlie was running away from brutal beatings in a residential school:

Another warrior, Charlie, 48, has a soft and slow voice that can be difficult to follow, but his stories are worth the effort. He was put in residential school at the age of seven and escaped several times, each time getting sent to a school further from home.

Four years and six escapes later, he was in a school near Sault Ste-Marie, where the nuns beat him unconscious with hockey sticks. He still has the scars. "I knew that if I stayed, they'd kill me, so I escaped again. I made it to Winnipeg [1,450 kilometres away] on foot through the bush, living off the land, fooling the police dogs in the woods. They didn't catch me that time until I was 21," he says.

The other men his age have similar residential school stories. Nothing can happen to them in jail or in a gunfight that's worse than what already has.

http://grannyrantson.blogspot.ca/2008/07/indigenous-peoples-and-canadians-must.html?m=1

I was at a film/speaker night about residential schools. One Indigenous man in the film from the west coast spoke of boys being lined up each night to await their turn to be raped.

Afterwards, an Indigenous man in his 60's near me wiped his tears and said

"It was the same in Ontario. They lined us up. It was ..."

"systematic?" I said.

"Yes. It was the same everywhere across the country ... like it was ... "

"planned?" I said.

He nodded.

Rape is a weapon of war, terror ... and genocide.

Edited by jacee

<facepalm/>

I'll see your facepalm and raise you a nuclear facepalm.

Cigarettes are deadly enough, but at least the variety store variety are somewhat overseen to ensure what is being used to grow and make the product. Smoke shacks, not so much.

Also, when you buy your smokes off reservation, you actually pay tax...a lot of tax..which helps offset some of the staggering real and social costs associated with smoking.

Jesus.

So in your mind the issue is settled and you and the other uber lefties will continue to use the word and then get indignant whenever challenged? Have I got that right?

So in your mind the issue is settled and you and the other uber lefties will continue to use the word and then get indignant whenever challenged? Have I got that right?

No not at all. Clearly the issue is NOT settled, and isnt going to be settled no matter how much time is wasted on it. People can call it what they want... in any case its not a word that Im throwing around myself.

"uber lefties" :D:lol:

Funny how this is now harpers fault when the dam catholic church is the guilty party. Harper has done more then any other government. So what did the liberals do under chretien ,nothing and at one time chretien was the minister of native affairs and did nothing. So harper tries and get nothing but grief.