Put your hands together for Elizabeth May!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/elizabeth-may-goes-off-the-rails-in-awkward-press-gallery-dinner-speech-1.3068674

This will work against the Greens getting invited to the debates later this year.

Delivering funny speeches in front of a room full of politicians and journalists at the annual press gallery dinner is a tough thing for any party leader, but it was especially tough for Green Party Leader Elizabeth May on Saturday night.

After a longwinded and meandering speech, which included a few funny jabs, May ended with a shout-out to Omar Khadr, who was freed on bail in Edmonton last week.

"Omar Khadr, you've got more class than the whole f-----g cabinet," May said, referring to the Conservative party, as Conservative MP and Transport Minister Lisa Raitt tried to usher her off the stage.

Usually, party leaders deliver light-hearted, mainly self-deprecating speeches that include the odd barb thrown at the media. But May went on at length about being the only female leader and having to claw her way into televised leaders' debates.

HAHAHAHAHA A convicted terrorist is more classy than the entire Conservative cabinet. So Clever!

Edited by Boges

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think she had one to many. And in her last debate, she was just plain arrogant and rude. That is why she does not get invited back. And yes black dog she is wrong. The hate from the other sides is despicable, and just because harper won. People just cant get over the country is doing great under this government and their pick in leaders blew up in their faces.

Edited by PIK

Yes she is right when one compares the Tory party to Khadr. First of all, Khadr had to plead guilty to get out of the prison and I bet even the Tory MPs would have done the same thing, anyone would! As a young boy, he had been torture down in the prison and he's had more life experience than any of the MPs. We have seen the scams, schemes, cover ups, bribing, and liars this party and the PMO are. In my view, May and Khadr have more respectability than this party and until Khadr does anything against the law, the Tories should leave him alone and worry more about their next jobs!

Yes she is right when one compares the Tory party to Khadr. First of all, Khadr had to plead guilty to get out of the prison and I bet even the Tory MPs would have done the same thing, anyone would! As a young boy, he had been torture down in the prison and he's had more life experience than any of the MPs. We have seen the scams, schemes, cover ups, bribing, and liars this party and the PMO are. In my view, May and Khadr have more respectability than this party and until Khadr does anything against the law, the Tories should leave him alone and worry more about their next jobs!

Just to be clear, you think a convicted terrorist has more class than democratically elected public officials?

So, I hate the Liberals, with their scheming, thieving ways (never mind the multiple billion dollar boondoggles) and yet I still hold them in higher esteem than a person who cowardly killed and maimed people

I'm hoping you're just spewing abhorrent, contemptible rhetoric.

She's not wrong.

Personally, I find it perplexing how one can call a fundamentalist Muslim 'classy'. Fundamentalist Muslims don't believe in equality for women, or any sort of womens rights, don't care about the environment, and believe gays should be executed. Are these the sorts of beliefs Elizabeth May admires and wants to see more of in Canada?

Personally, I find it perplexing how one can call a fundamentalist Muslim 'classy'. Fundamentalist Muslims don't believe in equality for women, or any sort of womens rights, don't care about the environment, and believe gays should be executed. Are these the sorts of beliefs Elizabeth May admires and wants to see more of in Canada?

And you know for a fact Omar Khadr believes these things?

She

She was clearly drunk. Not sure why she won't admit it.

She was sleep deprived. I get that. I've done some pretty stupid things when I was sleep deprived. I believe I was even arrested once for being sleep deprived.

One thing about "classy". If we go by the "it takes one to know one" saying, May has ruled herself out of any credibility on the issue.

Well yeah. They've made a folk devil out of Omar Khadr. So who gives a crap what he actually believes. Let's just label him with a bunch of hysterical nonsense we've made up. Nationalists need an enemy and Omar Khadr personifies.

Is there some lack of clarity in the social beliefs of fundamentalist Muslims? Because their social beliefs based on the koran, seems fairly clear. If you're even an observant Muslim, never mind a fundamentalist, then you believe in what the Koran teaches. I don't think it's a giant leap to look at what the Koran says and suggest a fundamentalist Muslim supports that too. If you look at laws and surveys of public attitudes and beliefs among Muslims there is very little variation from the Koran in terms of social beliefs.

Edited by Argus

Is there some lack of clarity in the social beliefs of fundamentalist Muslims? Because their social beliefs based on the koran, seems fairly clear. If you're even an observant Muslim, never mind a fundamentalist, then you believe in what the Koran teaches. I don't think it's a giant leap to look at what the Koran says and suggest a fundamentalist Muslim supports that too.

I believe the question was about Omar Khadr, not the Koran.

Has he shown remorse, no. Has he denounced his terrorist ways, no. And he was not a child soldier, he was trained to kill, our people. Even the Geneva convention does not class him as a child soldier. And maybe you were to stupid as a 15 yr old to know the difference between right and wrong, but does not mean the rest of us were.

Is there some lack of clarity in the social beliefs of fundamentalist Muslims? Because their social beliefs based on the koran, seems fairly clear. If you're even an observant Muslim, never mind a fundamentalist, then you believe in what the Koran teaches. I don't think it's a giant leap to look at what the Koran says and suggest a fundamentalist Muslim supports that too. If you look at laws and surveys of public attitudes and beliefs among Muslims there is very little variation from the Koran in terms of social beliefs.

So I take that as a no, you don't actually know where Omar Khadr stands on these things.

Has he shown remorse, no. Has he denounced his terrorist ways, no. And he was not a child soldier, he was trained to kill, our people. Even the Geneva convention does not class him as a child soldier. And maybe you were to stupid as a 15 yr old to know the difference between right and wrong, but does not mean the rest of us were.

Apparently you are another who didnt listen to, or chooses to ignore the actual press conference but continues to opine about it. The UN conventions list the age of a child for purposes of recruitment as 18. I guess you can choose whichever protocol suits your purpose.