Jon Stewart's Replacement: Trevor Noah

Boges

I swear the internet is both the most vile thing ever and at the same time the most sensitive thing ever.

Take the case of Jon Stewart's replacement Trevor Noah, a South African comedian. People scoured his Twitter feed in search of reason's to be outraged.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/31/politics/trevor-noah-the-daily-show-jon-stewart-jews-israel-women/

Did anyone not watch the Justin Bieber Roast?!?!?!?! Or any Roast for that matter? It's on the same network the Daily Show is on.

It was full of racist and sexist jokes and everyone seemed to love it. But this guy makes some "blue" tweets and the Outrage police go into overdrive.

I don't know anything about this guy, I'm sure he'll do great. I don't think Larry Wilmore is AS good as Stephen Colbert, but it's still worth watching. Shows like these evolve overtime.

Thoughts on the naming of the replacement and the faux outrage of his past tweets?

There is something really strange about the arrival of a new medium that throws the moral scale into fun-house-mirror mode. The feeding frenzy just seems to start... arbitrarily.

It doesn't really seem to follow political lines either.

Ted Nugent adopted an underage girl so he could marry her. Gets a pass.

Kat Von K calls her new lipstick 'Underage Red'. Outrage.

Rob Ford does crack cocaine... would have won the election.

Adam Giambrone cheats on HIS GIRLFRIEND... has to drop out of the election.

Thoughts ? If he can't take the heat...he is not the right guy.

I'm sure he can take the heat, this is the gig of a lifetime for a comedian. That show has made several comedians household names.

Just asking if the outrage is warranted and trying to start a broader discussion about the outrage police on social media, specifically Twitter. I've never joined Twitter and the longer I go without a Twitter handle the more I think it's a good choice.

See Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets

Twitter can be so vile.

Then see the lives that are ruined by jokes they've tweeted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=0

There is something really strange about the arrival of a new medium that throws the moral scale into fun-house-mirror mode. The feeding frenzy just seems to start... arbitrarily.

It doesn't really seem to follow political lines either.

Ted Nugent adopted an underage girl so he could marry her. Gets a pass.

Kat Von K calls her new lipstick 'Underage Red'. Outrage.

Rob Ford does crack cocaine... would have won the election.

Adam Giambrone cheats on HIS GIRLFRIEND... has to drop out of the election.

I think Rob Ford got a fair amount of outrage for his behaviour. Just sayin'. Not saying it's not warranted either. But he didn't even come close to getting a pass.

I think Rob Ford got a fair amount of outrage for his behaviour. Just sayin'. Not saying it's not warranted either. But he didn't even come close to getting a pass.

And neither did Ted Nugent, who by all accounts, left and right, is a total douchebag of the highest honour.

Only uber righties invoke Ted, frankly they must be too stupid to check his past. He has plenty to be embarassed about (except the money he made in recording)

I'm sure he can take the heat, this is the gig of a lifetime for a comedian. That show has made several comedians household names.

Just asking if the outrage is warranted and trying to start a broader discussion about the outrage police on social media, specifically Twitter. I've never joined Twitter and the longer I go without a Twitter handle the more I think it's a good choice.

See Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets

Twitter can be so vile.

Then see the lives that are ruined by jokes they've tweeted.

The very concept of a hosted comedy / entertainment show has to evolve to stay relevant. Kimmel's producers have specifically embraced all things new in social media as primary show content. Vile is good !

Noah wouldn't be the first comic to go down in flames.

He would have won the election, though...

That's speculative. His Crack problems happened well into his term.

He did get elected comfortably after it came to light he was arrested for a DUI and pot possession in Florida.

He didn't lie about that though.

These are the Tweets that provoked outrage? ok. I think Jon Stewart says edgier stuff in a typical opening monologue. I have a hunch that people who found these Tweets offensive probably aren't Daily Show viewers anyway.

I think that if a comedian hasn't offended somebody, they're probably not doing their job right. Today's "Tumblr feminists" would probably be offended over the old "Take my wife-- please!" bit.

To me, the question isn't whether Trevor Noah is funny-- I've seen some of his stuff, and I think he is-- it's whether he'll be able to do interviews. I think that some of the best moments of Jon Stewart career have been in interviews. Blowing up CNBC's "Fast Money" guy Jim Kramer, and smacking the bow-tie off Tucker Carlson are two that come immediately to mind. Hopefully Trevor Noah will be able to bring not just the funny but also the smarts to go with it.

Here's Trevor giving the ADL more to worry about:

-k

{"Aiiiieee!! De SchwartzeHitler!!!"}

I think that if a comedian hasn't offended somebody, they're probably not doing their job right. Today's "Tumblr feminists" would probably be offended over the old "Take my wife-- please!" bit.

Further to this, character-actor Patton Oswalt has taken to Twitter to help lay down some ground work for comedians who want to use social media without destroying their careers. It's a 53-tweet series, consisting of 1 joke and 52 clarifications, apologies, and explanations.

(1/53) Q: Why did the man* throw* butter* out of the window*? A: He wanted to see* butter fly*! — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(2/53) "Man" in my previous Tweet should not be construed as privileged, misogynist or anti-trans. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(3/53) Nor should there be ANY assumption of said man's race or religion. It could be an African American man, Asian, or any one — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(8/53) And the choice of "butter" as the object being thrown was in NO WAY an insult to those with a strict lacto-vegan diet or — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(9/53) ANYONE who may be lactose intolerant, might KNOW someone who is lactose-intolerant (or knows someone who is ka to-vegan) or — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(12/53) hormones, pesticides or other contaminants. Also, PLEASE accept this pre-emptive apology if the word "butter" was a trigger — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(13/53) for any time in the past the joke recipient may have been called a "butter face" or knows someone who was insulted in such a — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(14/53) fashion. Aesthetic shaming is real and bullying hurts us all. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(16/53) "Out the window" was NOT meant as any sort of insult to the homeless population, in that the phrase "out the window" — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(17/53) could EASILY be construed as placing the butter-thrower in a house which — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(18/53) the butter thrower owns. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(19/53) The triggering potential for "out the window" is not to be underestimated. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(37/53) "See" is, we all know, VERY POTENTIALLY TRIGGERING to any seeing impaired or blind people hearing the joke — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(38/53) And, again, a pre-emotive apology is meekly offered. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(39/53) And the fact that Twitter does NOT offer a Braille version of its website is part of a larger problem — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(40/53) which the joke was IN ABSOLUTELY NO WAY making light of. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(51/53) A simple series of clarifying post-joke Tweets like the ones I just sent out will insure EVERYONE a gentle, comforting chuckle. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(52/53) Welcome to comedy in 2015, @Trevornoah! — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

(53/53) Also, the "come" part of "welcome" shouldn't be construed in a "faggy" way. — Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) April 1, 2015

https://archive.today/hAZLd

-k

{TRIGGERED}

Regardless of how good he is with interviews, Stewart is a native New Yorker who could draw on years of shared history with many of his guests. Noah or any other outsider comming into this job will have to build that.

Stewart wouldn't smack the bow tie off a guest he had never met before.

Edited by Wilber