Afghanistan Lessons

Big Guy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you expect...Canada never does any leading.

Now look here. Ok so Justin's wife Sophie leads when they do the Waltz-come on he's metrosexual. As for Mr. Harper, there is nasty gossip in Ottawa his wife is being lead by a female RCMP officer but that is another story.

In terms of leadership we do have the other Justin, you know tatoo boy Bieber.

Ah yes, the old Canadian peacekeeping myth. Examining Canadian military history points to a much different reality. WWI, WII, Korea, etc.

We skip over that and Canada does not have a miliatry in the mind space dimension of the people you address until Lester B. Pearson created peacekeepuing forces for the Middle East and Cyprus.

Welcome to the world where Canada is everyone's friend and we never swear, fart or lose our temper. We just say good day, apologize constantly and offer people water.

Its a nice world based on the premises that only bad things happen to bad people, and if we are nice, no one will hate us.

Yes its very deep. Never mind what happened in Afghanistan, the former Yugoslavia, Korea, WW's 1 and 2.

Guess what. We are nice people and should remain nice. You know when Canada was founded we had men with pill box hats who wore cute scarlet uniforms with butch riding boots and matching leather gloves. I mean it was right out of Vogue Magazine. Colour coodinated and oh so rugged in its own way authoritarian nudge nudge tie me up baby kind of way.

Our boys of the NWMP never had to shoot any swarthy peoples. We just offered them tea and moved them away with not too much fuss until that loud mouth angry drunk Louis Riel caused a bit of a rukus but even then it was a mere blip or cold sore to our reputation and he soon was a statute of a naked man with a large penis put on display and when he was moveed to Queen's Park caused an uproar with one person putting a diaper on him and then eventually someone with Freudian issues actually cutting off his penal representation but I knew a new one was attached because I ran into him back in Winnipeg one summer relieved to see him still standing at attention.

Ah Canada- home of the brave, the politically appropriate holier then thou I know what is morally correct practitioners.

Fear not our nation will save the world. Our beloved Justins one with tatoos the other with one year of teaching Drama in a high school will be our leaders and show us the way.

God Bless.

Edited by Rue

How many European countries are larger than Canada I wonder. Both France and Germany contributed more forces than Canada did.

They contributed forces, but refused to patrol dangerous areas. They didn't do any of the heavy lifting.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this thread need a revival? It began under the premise that the U.S. engagement in Afghanistan was ending. Since Obama has announced a halt to the planned U.S. troop withdrawal....that new Afghan guy really wants America to stay! So, the scorecard for Obama will end up that- not only has he started new wars and something close to wars....Yemen, Somalia, northern Pakistan etc., he hasn't even closed the wars he inherited and promised to end! Does anyone believe they are going to be out before the next election?

Whatever you say, Jesus. America produces whatever the hell it wants. That's why it is the "elephant".

We know that, G. America produces myriad war crimes the world over. It produces terrorism on a scale that outmatches the totality of all other terrorism combined.

That's not why it's the elephant at all. The elephant is the one prancing around within every discussion of this type that those who know better ignore. But you knew that. Obfuscation and diversion.

Edited by Je suis Omar

We know that, G. America produces myriad war crimes the world over. It produces terrorism on a scale that outmatches the totality of all other terrorism combined.

That's the idea, J. Canada's biggest trading partner wouldn't have it any other way.

Now go drop a few more elephant made bombs with elephant made strike fighters for Uncle Sam.

• 3 months later...

New good and bad news from Afghanistan. The good news is that Mullah Omar, the leader of the Taliban is dead. The bad news is that he has been dead for a couple of years and the Taliban is still gaining without him.

A new leader has been elected; Mullah Akhtar Mansoor. So another mole on our whack-a-mole game pops up.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/taliban-elects-leader-mullah-akhtar-mansoor-mullah-omar-150730115835426.html

The really bad news is that the negotiations between the Afghanistan government and the Taliban have been only temporarily suspended. The Afghanistan government continues to proceed to an eventual political solution where the Taliban will form part of the governing structure.

Anybody still think it was worth 170 Canadian lives and multi $billions to get involved in this civil war?

Anybody still think that these other civil wars in which we have stuck our noses will not end the same way?

New good and bad news from Afghanistan. The good news is that Mullah Omar, the leader of the Taliban is dead. The bad news is that he has been dead for a couple of years and the Taliban is still gaining without him.

A new leader has been elected; Mullah Akhtar Mansoor. So another mole on our whack-a-mole game pops up.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/taliban-elects-leader-mullah-akhtar-mansoor-mullah-omar-150730115835426.html

The really bad news is that the negotiations between the Afghanistan government and the Taliban have been only temporarily suspended. The Afghanistan government continues to proceed to an eventual political solution where the Taliban will form part of the governing structure.

Anybody still think it was worth 170 Canadian lives and multi $billions to get involved in this civil war?

Anybody still think that these other civil wars in which we have stuck our noses will not end the same way?

It was never a civil war. As we have seen the east and west both stick their noses into Afghanistan over the decades.. to what end?

But that also puts into question the death of Bin Laden. Rumoured to have died years before the US 'got him' in Pakistan.

If Canadian blood is to be spilled, I'd like to see some politicians seep some patriotic red out their veins for the cause. But as you know, that won't happen.

Ghost before you accuse others of being arm chair warriors, i.e., Harper's regime, take a look in the mirror. You put up a lot of talk. At what price do you think was paid by soldiers so you can? You think your ability to state what you want and walk the streets in freedom you have did not come at a price?You think it is an automatic entitlement and it just exists and you were born into it? Is that it? Is that it the bubble of privilege you live in just existed?

How long do you think someone like you would be able to walk the streets and pop off at the mouth about war if soldiers did not die so you could have that right?

At what price do you think was paid by soldiers so you can? You think your ability to state what you want and walk the streets in freedom you have did not come at a price?

I generally see mapleleafweb.com as too smart for simplistic and superficial foxnews style jingos.

Our soldiers do not have to be in some other country for us to have our freedom and security. In fact, we increase our security by not invading other countries.

Edited by marcus

I generally see mapleleafweb.com as too smart for simplistic and superficial foxnews style jingos.

Our soldiers do not have to be in some other country for us to have our freedom and security. In fact, we increase our security by not invading other countries.

Exactly. Having spent the better part of 2 years in either Iraq and Afghanistan I saw quite clearly what a waste of blood and treasure they both were. And in all likelihood made the/our world less secure.

Ghost before you accuse others of being arm chair warriors, i.e., Harper's regime, take a look in the mirror. You put up a lot of talk. At what price do you think was paid by soldiers so you can? You think your ability to state what you want and walk the streets in freedom you have did not come at a price?You think it is an automatic entitlement and it just exists and you were born into it? Is that it? Is that it the bubble of privilege you live in just existed?

How long do you think someone like you would be able to walk the streets and pop off at the mouth about war if soldiers did not die so you could have that right

I am not following you, maybe a nice long rant of accusations against other members on the forum might be in order.

Big guy:

When i first read this question, it left a bad taste in my mouth....it was like it questioned every soldier's contribution to this mission.

but i knew that is not how you intended.

Do i think that the Canadian contribution was worth it. every dollar, every drop of sweat, and every drop of blood. Canada spent some of its treasure on improving Afghanis lives, major projects like the improvement of the dam, building much needed paved road networks, to the little projects like the digging of hundreds of wells, improving of airports, .....you see for me and many soldiers it has to be worth it, not only for the sacrifices we made our blood ,sweat, and tears, time away from our family and loved ones, or the fact that this mission was borne on the backs of our soldiers, most of the mission was paid out of DND coffers, which meant no new procurement projects, training cuts etc....it was all about sacrifice for our soldiers.....for the majority of Canadians all it meant was a few sound bits during each night, that was it.....Canadians for the most part had nothing invested in this mission, they had swept that responsibility under the carpet long ago. Had they had something invested, in this mission, i think it would of turned out different....