North Korea Muzzles Sony

Big Guy

Your father's mother would probably think it's a stupid idea to choose to release a comedy that enflames international relations and threatens war, having gone through one.

No, my mother hand her mother had bombs dropped on them and saw their men go off to war. They knew that the life we enjoy is not an entitlement. Someone had to earn it for us.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cite an example of a country trying and succeeding to silence the media of another country.

I wasn't talking about countries and other countries. I was talking about media adapting their content in response to controversy.

Similar examples to this instance, however, include The Last Temptation of Christ, which was pulled from many theaters after a terrorist attack from fundamentalist Christians. Georgia even legislated that it not be shown. More recently, the movie Closed Curtain went pretty much unreleased because of fears of reprisal from Iran.

Edited by BubberMiley

No, my mother hand her mother had bombs dropped on them and saw their men go off to war. They knew that the life we enjoy is not an entitlement. Someone had to earn it for us.

Okay, you have to call bikers morons or else your relatives died in vain. Now I understand. Thanks for that eloquent clarification.

This does set a bad precedent. It shows that you can silence the media by threatening them if they are saying or doing something you don't like.

This is an unprecedented event in some ways. I'm sure Sony execs never expected NK to attack them, but again, it's an insane dictator. Maybe use a little judgement? Is this really the hill worthing fighting over, Sony? At the same time, I agree that it sets a bad precedent.

At the same time, I agree that it sets a bad precedent.

According to the dictionary, a precedent is "any act, decision, or case that serves as a guide or justification for subsequent situations." Why would this situation govern how people are going to react to future situations?

So, you are all in favour of censorship when something stands to offend a tin pot dictator of a backwards, isolated and impoverished country, but you oppose it when it comes to publishing cartoons that could offend many of the worlds Muslims. Also, where were you when the South Park movie came out a few years back?

Holy crap, let me get this straight. You go through EIGHT YEARS OF MY POSTS TRYING TO FIND CONTRADICTIONS?

You really, really need to get a life. Do you even have a job? What are you doing posting all day? My excuse is I'm sick at home. What a strange person you are, I'm glad I've put you on ignore. It's actually creepy.

Edited by sharkman

You go through EIGHT YEARS OF MY POSTS TRYING TO FIND CONTRADICTIONS?

This is the internet. You can search by word and member name. All you need is a vague recollection of what someone said and you can find the post in seconds.

But it was funny watching you adapt your position to fit better with what you thought when it involved muslims. :lol:

According to the dictionary, a precedent is "any act, decision, or case that serves as a guide or justification for subsequent situations." Why would this situation govern how people are going to react to future situations?

Why wouldn't it, the tactic worked. Are the same people suddenly going to grow backbones?

Why wouldn't it, the tactic worked. Are the same people suddenly going to grow backbones?

Yes, the tragic result of this is Sony might reconsider if faced with a similar situation involving a film about assassinating a sitting dictator. But I thought by "precedent" he meant how people in general would react, and I don't see how this would have any effect on that.

Yes, the tragic result of this is Sony might reconsider if faced with a similar situation involving a film about assassinating a sitting dictator. But I thought by "precedent" he meant how people in general would react, and I don't see how this would have any effect on that.

Why limit it to a sitting dictator? Why would they not react the same way to any threat? Others will be paying attention to what happened yesterday and looking for ways to duplicate it. Why? Because it worked.

Here's a strange twist to the story.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest confirms reports that administration officials had reviewed the controversial Sony film “The Interview” that features the death of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.

Earnest stressed that “there’s no policy of the administration for screening films before they are released” but the administration did so at the request of Sony executives.

What I heard on the news was that Sony is a Japanese company and Japan is either in talks or about to have them with N.Korea about some prisoners NK is holding , so Japan, Sony didn't have much of a choice BUT in the US, they have a different view about this and they probably don't know about the prisoners situation. I'm sure some how it will end up on video or on TV, where Sony can't be held responsible, if someone should hijack the film.

Why limit it to a sitting dictator? Why would they not react the same way to any threat?

Uh huh. Sony is free to react to threats any way they want to. If they feel it's not worth it to risk people's lives over a crappy film, I think it's reasonable of them to decide to scrap it. If you want to take on North Korea, you have the free speech to do so. Unfortunately, you just want to sit behind your computer and goad others into taking the risks.

Uh huh. Sony is free to react to threats any way they want to. If they feel it's not worth it to risk people's lives over a crappy film, I think it's reasonable of them to decide to scrap it. If you want to take on North Korea, you have the free speech to do so. Unfortunately, you just want to sit behind your computer and goad others into taking the risks.

Any risk is very slim. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go and see this thing. I would make a point of it. The LA police have said they don't believe North Korea has the ability to attack theaters. Their hackers may be good but they don't have boots on the ground and a physical attack would be asking for retaliation from the US. The film is not the issue here, it's a foreign nation's (make that one tin pot dictator's) ability to dictate what you can say, watch and listen to.

Edited by Wilber

You would risk nothing on a principle? Oh, well in that case.

Sure, but it depends on the principle. Seth Roger movie = bad hill to die on. Sony agreed. You still have the freedom to start your own war with NK if you think Sony isn't doing enough though. Keep me updated.

Sure, but it depends on the principle. Seth Roger movie = bad hill to die on. Sony agreed. You still have the freedom to start your own war with NK if you think Sony isn't doing enough though. Keep me updated.

So now we are starting a war with North Korea. Pathetic. You got your privileged position on this planet because other people were willing to stand up and sacrifice for your right to free expression, now matter how stupid or offensive it might be. It didn't just happen. You seem to put little value on it.

Edited by Wilber

Oh God, not you to. With all the other junk Hollywood puts out, what makes this one so special other than it offends some nut case in North Korea?

That is exactly my point. This is junk. Let's focus on films that provide substance and if they piss off NK, so what. At least the films provides substance and meaning and we don't need to back down. Let's take a stand and provide support to creative film makers and producers who dare to expose human degradations in NK and elsewhere around the world.