North Korea Muzzles Sony

Big Guy

The Sony corporation had financed, produced and created a film called "The Interview" which took a comedic look at the assassination of the leader of North Korea by two Americans. Apparently, North Korea did not think this was very funny or appropriate so it hacked Sony computers and published all kind of personal correspondence very embarrassing to Sony.

Somebody continue to leak more and more information and finally they posted a warning making reference to 9/11 in New York.

A few major theatre chains decided to postpone or not show the film which was due to be released on Christmas. The few turned into most and Sony has decided to not release the film at this time.

Cyber terrorism?

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-cancels-release-for-the-interview-on-christmas-1201382032/

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, when a tactic works then it is repeated until it doesn't work. This works only because the theater owners are liable for any damages if they ignore the warnings, show the film and a bomb explodes in the theater.

Perhaps this signals the end of the movie theater. A production company might release a film through Netflix or another personal distributer where the general public or extortionist does not know where it will be watched.

Maybe not.

Maybe Sony should release the movie for free on the Internet and make sure it is available to everybody in North Korea.

I know it's abhorrent to suggest a movie about killing a real leader is a bad idea, but why did such an idiotic plot get past the cutting room floor? Yeah, let's make a movie about a dangerous real life dictator getting assassinated, he won't mind, he's only insane. It's not like the American government can protect the movie industry from shooting itself in the foot.

I know it's abhorrent to suggest a movie about killing a real leader is a bad idea, but why did such an idiotic plot get past the cutting room floor? Yeah, let's make a movie about a dangerous real life dictator getting assassinated, he won't mind, he's only insane. It's not like the American government can protect the movie industry from shooting itself in the foot.

So, you are all in favour of censorship when something stands to offend a tin pot dictator of a backwards, isolated and impoverished country, but you oppose it when it comes to publishing cartoons that could offend many of the worlds Muslims. Also, where were you when the South Park movie came out a few years back?

Edited by Black Dog

It reminds me of the mohammed cartoons from 10 years ago. Yes, you have a right to print the cartoons, but is it really worth it to poke a stupid and vicious dog? They have every right to make their movie, but why would you risk seeing people die over a Franco/Rogen film that isn't Pineapple Express?

Edit: Hey, Black dog scooped my analogy while I typed.

Edited by BubberMiley

It reminds me of the mohammed cartoons from 10 years ago. Yes, you have a right to print the cartoons, but is it really worth it to poke a stupid and vicious dog? They have every right to make their movie, but why would you risk seeing people die over a Franco/Rogen film that isn't Pineapple Express?

Edit: Hey, Black dog scooped my analogy while I typed.

Yes it is worth it, unless you want to live in a world where stupid vicious dogs tell you what you can and can't say.

Yes it is worth it, unless you want to live in a world where stupid vicious dogs tell you what you can and can't say.

But isn't what you say already governed by common sense? I don't call bikers idiots when they irritate me because I weigh the potential consequences of my actions and determine whether it's worth poking the stupid dog or not. And I don't feel like my free speech is compromised when I don't call them idiots.

But isn't what you say already governed by common sense? I don't call bikers idiots when they irritate me because I weigh the potential consequences of my actions and determine whether it's worth poking the stupid dog or not. And I don't feel like my free speech is compromised when I don't call them idiots.

Never seen The Great Dictator I guess. So you are saying no one should make movies or TV shows about the Hells Angels cause they might get mad. Sony and the theater chains did Neville Chamberlain proud yesterday but I guess all those millions also fought and died for the right of movie executives to act like a bunch of gutless panzies when it comes to freedom of speech.

Never seen The Great Dictator I guess. So you are saying no one should make movies or TV shows about the Hells Angels cause they might get mad.

No, they can make whatever movies they want. Are you saying that no one should refrain from calling bikers that irritate them "idiots" because that would mean the millions that fought and died for free speech did so in vain?

No, they can make whatever movies they want. Are you saying that no one should refrain from calling bikers that irritate them "idiots" because that would mean the millions that fought and died for free speech did so in vain?

I wouldn't call a bunch of bikers a idiots to their face and I wouldn't go to North Korea and insult its leader but that doesn't mean they aren't dick heads and criminals and everyone should be afraid to say so. All that does is encourage and enable them. How else do you think they maintain their power over people?

I was being hard on Chamberlain. He learned from Munich and didn't make the same mistake again.

At best, vicariously but even thats a stretch.

In the US they would have to defend themselves in a lawsuit. This costs money even if they are eventually vindicated. I see this with home insurance providers in Canada. Many will not insure homes with a home based business if that business is exposed to lawsuits from the US even if the policy explicitly excludes business related claims because defending invalid claims still costs money. Edited by TimG

I wouldn't call a bunch of bikers a idiots to their face and I wouldn't go to North Korea and insult its leader but that doesn't mean they aren't dick heads and criminals and everyone should be afraid to say so.

So you're saying you wouldn't release the film but it's an affront to free speech if someone else decides not to release the film?

In the US they would have to defend themselves in a lawsuit.

The insurqance company will take care of that, thats why they buy it. SOP.

I see this with home insurance providers in Canada. Many will not insure homes with a home based business if that business is exposed to lawsuits from the US even if the policy explicitly excludes business related claims because defending invalid claims still costs money.

Not really, not as written.

Insurers cant deny defence claims just because someone from the US is suing.

What they may not get on risk for is home based businesses with operations that extend into the states .

A legal home based business is not a concern to any insurer unless the business is high risk....in which most jurisdictions dont allow any high risk biz to operate in a home neighbourhood which solves that dilemma for them.

Not saying that at all. You really don't get it.

I guess not. Why wouldn't you go to North Korea and call the leader a dickhead? We agree he's a dickhead and you have a right to call him that.

I agree that Sony has the right to release the film but I have no problem with them deciding not to if they feel doing so might instigate unnecessary violence. Freedom of speech includes the right to not speak if you feel you don't want to bear the possible consequences of your speech.

I guess not. Why wouldn't you go to North Korea and call the leader a dickhead? We agree he's a dickhead and you have a right to call him that.

I agree that Sony has the right to release the film but I have no problem with them deciding not to if they feel doing so might instigate unnecessary violence. Freedom of speech includes the right to not speak if you feel you don't want to bear the possible consequences of your speech.

Freedom of speech is not letting others tell you what to say or do and allowing them to engage in criminal acts in order to stop you. What if all the airlines had decided they weren't going to fly after 9/11?

One of the reasons they may have delayed the release is that the industry buzz indicates the movie is a giant turkey anyway, just in time for Xmas.

in any case, the movies publicist deserves a big bonus.

If it is so bad, why were they promoting the crap out of it? Don't they know good movies from bad ones? It may be a turkey but I'm not buying it as the reason for delaying release. It will be interesting to see where they go from here. The Koreans are bound to find out that they aren't the only ones who can leak stuff.