Judgement day for Del Mastro

Topaz

Today, the MP will find out if he will spent some time in jail and pay a fine. I can't see him spending time in jail since Doug Findley was found guilty of his crime but paid out money to stay out of jail and being a very close friend to the PM is a good thing too. http://www.canada.com/news/national/Dean+Mastro+will+lose+seat+House+convicted+Friday/10339618/story.html

And arrogant:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/dean-del-mastro-found-guilty-in-election-spending-case-1.2818920

Re the judge's decision:

"That's her opinion. My opinion is quite different."

Re "Anyone convicted of having committed an offence that is considered to be an illegal practice under the act is not entitled to be elected or sit in the House of Commons for a period of five years from the date of conviction,"

Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom, Del Mastro indicated that he has no plans to vacate his seat.

I listened to him and he's probably going to try to keep appeals going until the election but I think Harper may have other plans. Harper has to decide if this guy could get re-elected because the Tories are going to need Ontario to win. I say he's gone, as he should be and half his pension taken away.

His brother is accused of running a scheme that also broke election financing laws to help Dean Del Mastro.

It shows what kind of characters Harper will put up with. Del Mastro is only one in a long line... Duffy affair, Wright, Soudas, Brazeau, Wallin, Bruce Carson...

Harper's lack of judgement has gotten to be ridiculous!

Edited by The_Squid

I listened to him and he's probably going to try to keep appeals going until the election but I think Harper may have other plans. Harper has to decide if this guy could get re-elected because the Tories are going to need Ontario to win. I say he's gone, as he should be and half his pension taken away.

Del Mastro is already out of the Conservative caucus and sitting as an independent.

Apparently it's up to the House to enforce the law and remove him - a vote, I assume.

There is something about politics that after a while some of these folks start to believe that they are above the law and start to act like it. It is one thing to act like it and think like it and another to mouth off to the person judging you. His transgression would not normally entail jail time but I think this arrogant fellow will now be given an opportunity to review his ego while looking through the wrong side of jail bars.

Is it the Conservative 'culture'?

Entitlement?... Contempt?

/Opinion -More-contempt

Including the in-and-out scheme and the conviction of former Guelph campaign worker Michael Sona in the robocalls affair, this is the third time in just a couple of years that people connected with the Conservative party have been convicted of violating election laws.Its a trend that should make voters reel with indignation. If it doesnt, something is horribly wrong in this country.

Edited by jacee

Is it the Conservative 'culture'?

Entitlement?... Contempt?

/Opinion -More-contempt

Including the in-and-out scheme and the conviction of former Guelph campaign worker Michael Sona in the robocalls affair, this is the third time in just a couple of years that people connected with the Conservative party have been convicted of violating election laws.Its a trend that should make voters reel with indignation. If it doesnt, something is horribly wrong in this country.

Yes, those Conservatives are big believers in law and order - when it's applied to some poor schmo with a few pot plants.

Why should they be subject to the law - they just write them!

And arrogant:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/dean-del-mastro-found-guilty-in-election-spending-case-1.2818920

Re the judge's decision:

"That's her opinion. My opinion is quite different."

Re "Anyone convicted of having committed an offence that is considered to be an illegal practice under the act is not entitled to be elected or sit in the House of Commons for a period of five years from the date of conviction,"

Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom, Del Mastro indicated that he has no plans to vacate his seat.

I agree completely but they seem to think that they are entitled . After you let a pig near the trough its hard to get rid of them.

The P.M. should sweep this like everything else no big deal.

Who said anything about gods? Nice red herring.

He was found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of violating election laws. Your guy got caught...

....and he should pay whatever price is deemed appropriate. If you want to play fast and loose with the rules, Harper has made it clear to everyone that he won't be on your side.

It is fairly obvious that there a number of posters who do not believe in our form of deciding on the guilt or innocence of an accused. Maybe we should go back to those proven methods like Trial By Ordeal or Trial By Fire. It would certainly generate more public interest and we could actually watch justice in action.

I especially recommend the Ordeal of Boiling Water but there are other interesting methods of deciding guilt. The Ordeals by cross, ingestion, poison and boiling oil have their own interesting twists. While the trial by judge and jury seems to be the most popular method but do the accused really have a choice of using the other methods?

Who said anything about gods? Nice red herring.

He was found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of violating election laws. Your guy got caught...

Peoploe should be allowed to disagree with judges. But it must just burn people when the only scandals are people spending to much money during elections,instead of the regular stealing of millions.

Peoploe should be allowed to disagree with judges. But it must just burn people when the only scandals are people spending to much money during elections,instead of the regular stealing of millions.

I will believe an independent judiciary that looked at the evidence and came to a conclusion of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt before I believe Del Mastro pronouncing his own innocence after the evidence was heard and is clear that he cheated in an election.

I think stealing elections and stealing money should both be dealt with. We will get to the stealing money part when Duffy goes to trial...