Shots Fired On Parliament Hill

Not yet, atleast not at the unit level, but then again i'm not sure whats going on around the base and what additional measures have been put in place.Hav'nt left the office yet..... I have heard from other guys across the country that there are measures being placed upon them.

Guarantee you DND downtown is locked down.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, unlike complex attacks like 9/11 or larger bombings, both these less complex attacks, made-up of very few people, are much more easier to carry out........frankly, I'm surprised more haven't been carried out Post 9/11.

Oh i agree the score big pionts on the type of plan , it's the plan itself and execution portion that if they had any training at all,could have been alot worse.

Alot of emotion here, as we have pers from this unit doing cermonial guard in ottawa....I'm hoping the government takes a pause and thinks before they act...I'm sure that soon DND will not be a hard target, i just hope the bad guys remain focused on DND instead of taking on other soft targets....

Not sure what you mean by that. DND has very tight security, probably better than anywhere else in Ottawa insofar as armed guards.

Oh i agree the score big pionts on the type of plan , it's the plan itself and execution portion that if they had any training at all,could have been alot worse.

For sure, but hijacking airliners or setting off truck bombs, versus what is currently happening, will result in the same response........In essence, they receive a higher return on invested effort with attacks like these.

The soldier has died. Very sad.

Apparently standing guard at the War Memorial this close to Remembrance Day is an honour.

I didn't think he'd make it. Watching them still doing CPR while loading him onto the ambulance left me fairly certain he was gone.

The irony is that the guards on the Cenotaph were only fairly recently implemented because of minor vandalism. Their weapons are empty, of course.

Not sure what you mean by that. DND has very tight security, probably better than anywhere else in Ottawa insofar as armed guards.

I'm sure his intent is that he hopes they keep targeting "harder targets" like DND & Government, versus softer targets like schools, shopping centers, movie theaters etc....

Hell, no. I'm actually annoyed the cancelled Question Period. They should just go ahead with business and not let this little dweeb interrupt them any more than necessary.

That's the most sensible thing I've heard all morning but I suspect this little dweeb will result in a lot more than mere interruption of today's business.

I didn't think he'd make it. Watching them still doing CPR while loading him onto the ambulance left me fairly certain he was gone.

The irony is that the guards on the Cenotaph were only fairly recently implemented because of minor vandalism. Their weapons are empty, of course.

It disgusts me that the weapons were empty. All military personelle carrying out public duties should be fully armed.

Edited by Scared.In.Canada

I think what they did is probably sufficient to achieve their desired result. Now they will just sit back and hope that our reaction to it does 1000 times as much damage as the actual event like the US reaction to 911, etc.

I think Ottawa is the exception, there are alot of bases where you just drive onto , with no security.....just the other day some guy stopped me and asked for directions to the mall, said he was lost....

I think Ottawa is the exception, there are alot of bases where you just drive onto , with no security.....just the other day some guy stopped me and asked for directions to the mall, said he was lost....

Yes, my girlfriend is at Base Borden currently and I or anyone not enlisted can drive right onto it. That`s a training base but still, it`s wide open. They used to have a guard at the gate but not anymore. Now it`s unmanned and anyone can drive onto it.

To be fair, they may have intelligence that says more soldiers are going to be targeted. Military bases across the country closed to the public today and they're telling soldiers not to wear their uniforms when they're out and about.

My girlfriend just left base borden and it wasn`t closed yet but had heard that it was goig to be guarded at entrances. Their are two at that base.

It disgusts me that the weapons were empty. All military personelle carrying out public duties should be fully armed.

Why ? they were doing a ceremonial gaurd, the wpns are for show. We don't have the powers like police officers to use fire arms again'st any Canadian citizens. unless passed by government. And i hope it does not come to that.

To be fair, they may have intelligence that says more soldiers are going to be targeted. Military bases across the country closed to the public today and they're telling soldiers not to wear their uniforms when they're out and about.

The same was done, pre 9/11, during the First Gulf War........Or by the British military throughout the 70s and 80s (during the Troubles)