Future of Canadian TV

It is viewer funded, but the Corporation for Public Broadcasting gets millions of dollars each year from the federal government.

Guess the same could be said for people who watch Hockey Night in Canada on the CBC living in border States.

Then again Rogers is taking that over this season.

Canada is a tenth of the size of the US. To think that their respective media markets would be comparable is unfair.

....Canada is a tenth of the size of the US. To think that their respective media markets would be comparable is unfair.

Has nothing to do with what is fair...how is the CRTC suppose to put together a "skinny basic" package when so many foreign networks and channels are offered/demanded by Canadian viewers/market(s) ? OTA viewers on both sides of the border are a circumstance of geography and the range of VHF/UHF signals, but most of the U.S. cannot watch Canadian broadcast channels.

If we ignore all of the U.S. cable networks, there still seems to be a hue and cry for the "4+1"...e.g. PBS tonight and the Burns production on the Roosevelts. What is the CRTC suppose to do with that ?

Why do you care? Come on. GIve it up....

Why do I care ? Because I think American television is one of the principal cross border cultural conveyances, mostly one way in this case. As member MH once posted, some "Canadians think they are Americans" from watching so much Yankee TV. This is less of an issue in Quebec for obvious reasons.

It is absurd to think that the CRTC in its historical mission to protect "Canadian culture" has to deal with so much foreign programming as a "skinny basic" cable television package and the future of "Canadian TV".

Why do I care ? Because I think American television is one of the principal cross border cultural conveyances, mostly one way in this case. As member MH once posted, some "Canadians think they are Americans" from watching so much Yankee TV. This is less of an issue in Quebec for obvious reasons.

It is absurd to think that the CRTC in its historical mission to protect "Canadian culture" has to deal with so much foreign programming as a "skinny basic" cable television package and the future of "Canadian TV".

Don't believe everything MH says. Sounds like a very generalized statement.

CRTC's past mission was not so much to protect 'canadian culture' but rather to promote 'canadian culture' and canadian artists. There is a big difference between the two.

Don't believe everything MH says. Sounds like a very generalized statement.

I accept the statement as an informed observation from another member.

CRTC's past mission was not so much to protect 'canadian culture' but rather to promote 'canadian culture' and canadian artists. There is a big difference between the two.

How does including American broadcast networks ("4 + 1") promote 'canadian culture' ?

I accept the statement as an informed observation from another member.

How does including American broadcast networks ("4 + 1") promote 'canadian culture' ?

The good majority of the programming on those channels (except for PBS) are shown on Canadian Networks too. So take it or leave it actually.

I once got the Seattle Time-shifting channels for free with my cable subscription. They took it away from me and I called and demanded it back and the dude said they had to because of the CRTC, I guess having more American Networks is a bad thing. I liked having it for getting West Coast NFL games but meh.

The good majority of the programming on those channels (except for PBS) are shown on Canadian Networks too. So take it or leave it actually.

OK...but that is just rationalizing the preponderance of American programming for Canadian TV as inevitable, unavoidable, and very much desirable by Canadian viewers. On this side of the border, I can't imagine a scenario wherein the government would mandate carriage of foreign television networks.

OK...but that is just rationalizing the preponderance of American programming for Canadian TV as inevitable, unavoidable, and very much desirable by Canadian viewers. On this side of the border, I can't imagine a scenario wherein the government would mandate carriage of foreign television networks.

Take encouragement from it. American Culture isn't so reviled after all. Ever been to the UK, lots of US programming there too. My wife and I can't get enough of the Big Bang Theory.

As for mandatory carriage of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS. It's Free anyway, so why not? As you have said, the advertising for the programs that most Canadians care to watch is subbed in anyway.

Edited by Boges

In the US, Especially on AHC (formerly The Military Channel) there's a show called "Greatest Tank Battles". They may show it on History and NatGeo down there too. It's a Canadian product. It's shown on almost every channel that has even a remote historical bent. It must help channels fill the CanCon quota.

Take encouragement from it. American Culture isn't so reviled after all. Ever been to the UK, lots of US programming there too. My wife and I can't get enough of the Big Bang Theory.

Yes...I have..and many other places. However, the pervasiveness of U.S. programming does not seem to serve the CRTC's mandate.

As for mandatory carriage of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS. It's Free anyway, so why not? As you have said, the advertising for the programs that most Canadians care to watch is subbed in anyway.

Sometimes it is...sometimes it is not. OTA is "free", not tiered cable television or satellite bundles from Canadian service providers. I can understand how/why Canadians would want to keep that which has always been available since the beginning of television in the country. They probably know more about the American networks than any of the regional offerings.

I guess we can conclude that the "future of Canadian TV" will continue to include this (American) tradition.

In the US, Especially on AHC (formerly The Military Channel) there's a show called "Greatest Tank Battles". They may show it on History and NatGeo down there too. It's a Canadian product. It's shown on almost every channel that has even a remote historical bent. It must help channels fill the CanCon quota.

Never seen it....it's way down on the list of obscure offerings from my provider...basically filler.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sure, but what of the future of American TV? When these 4+1 Networks rarely produce award-winning programming anymore.

As said earlier in the thread. Lots of ConCon comes on Cable now.

Different topic....a majority of Americans still get most of their news and programming from the 4+1 networks by several distribution methods. I won't worry about CanCon until the U.S. has to implement similar barriers and protectionism.

Different topic....a majority of Americans still get most of their news and programming from the 4+1 networks by several distribution methods. I won't worry about CanCon until the U.S. has to implement similar barriers and protectionism.

So what? Like a tariff on CityTV buying the rights to New Girl? Good luck with that! I'm sure the makers are more than happy to take their money.

So what? Like a tariff on CityTV buying the rights to New Girl? Good luck with that! I'm sure the makers are more than happy to take their money.

I'm trying to understand the reverse scenario wherein U.S. broadcast networks would depend so much on Canadian programming. I guess it could happen...but not anytime soon.

I'm trying to understand the reverse scenario wherein U.S. broadcast networks would depend so much on Canadian programming. I guess it could happen...but not anytime soon.

Guess not. Slow Clap to the USA, they're a world leader in entertainment.

Most Americans would be happy that people enjoy their culture instead of bitching that other countries governments have have regulatory bodies to help protect TV jobs in their country.

Guess not. Slow Clap to the USA, they're a world leader in entertainment.

Most Americans would be happy that people enjoy their culture instead of bitching that other countries governments have have regulatory bodies to help protect TV jobs in their country.

Americans are happy....happy to laugh at the same people who hate 'merica and 'merkins only to be voluntarily consumed by American media to the point of mandating carriage. That kind of laughable scenario will make a lot of people "happy".

As for protecting TV jobs in Canada, how is that working out for 'ya and the CRTC ?

Americans are happy....happy to laugh at the same people who hate 'merica and 'merkins only to be voluntarily consumed by American media to the point of mandating carriage. That kind of laughable scenario will make a lot of people "happy".

Canadian's aren't one monolithic group. The fact that you might think that only enforces some stereotypes of Americans.

As for protecting TV jobs in Canada, how is that working out for 'ya and the CRTC ?

CanCon does get made, some of it even gets picked up in the US. The internet and being next the USA makes it harder, Also makes it harder in the US.

Canadian's aren't one monolithic group. The fact that you might think that only enforces some stereotypes of Americans.

..and my post does not make any such claim.

CanCon does get made, some of it even gets picked up in the US. The internet and being next the USA makes it harder, Also makes it harder in the US.

It doesn't really matter....content that is in demand will be made available because of market forces. Silly rules in Canada (or the U.S.) will not prevent access by people who wish to watch. Making it good is more important than making it "CanCon".

As an aside, one Canadian even opined that the domestic commercials suck !

..and my post does not make any such claim.

happy to laugh at the same people who hate 'merica and 'merkins only to be voluntarily consumed by American media to the point of mandating carriage.

Do you really think people who hate 'merica' are happy to watch American programming? They probably don't even subscribe to cable. They're the type of people who spend all day listening to CBC radio and think Little Mosque on the Prairie is clever.

Do you really think people who hate 'merica' are happy to watch American programming? They probably don't even subscribe to cable. They're the type of people who spend all day listening to CBC radio and think Little Mosque on the Prairie is clever.

Their happiness is secondary...clearly many do watch American media, if only to criticize it. A running joke here was how many people who hated Fox News could recite paragraph and verse from each of Fox's talking heads.

Look, I get it....Canada has been consuming American media for so long it is considered to be the status quo, regardless of cross border disputes. But the "optics" is very curious from my perspective in a foreign country.