Canada's Justice Minister - "No Compromise"?

waldo

IMO essentially it is something aimed at PM Harper and the federal Conservative government's reluctance to make to make good on Harper’s promise to repeal ALL of the C-68 Firearms Act.

The so-called 'gun culture' is really a left wing smear by smarmy anti-Americans. What the Americans enjoy is a culture that values civil liberties and places the rights of individuals ahead of the power of the state.

Most countries restrict gun ownership because of its potential to challenge power, Americans celebrate gun ownership as a symbol of freedom.

We could use a bit of that thinking in Canada. :)-

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO essentially it is something aimed at PM Harper and the federal Conservative government's reluctance to make to make good on Harper’s promise to repeal ALL of the C-68 Firearms Act.

The so-called 'gun culture' is really a left wing smear by smarmy anti-Americans. What the Americans enjoy is a culture that values civil liberties and places the rights of individuals ahead of the power of the state.

Most countries restrict gun ownership because of its potential to challenge power, Americans celebrate gun ownership as a symbol of freedom.

That's certainly not how the NRA looks at it. To them it's about that "challenge to power"

freedom? How's that working out for them... them... as in that component of Americans that subscribe to gunnuttery? I trust you realize you're not presuming to speak for ALL Americans, right?

The so-called 'gun culture' is really a left wing smear by smarmy anti-Americans.

are those American proponents of gun control, gun registry, etc., your "smarmy anti-Americans"?

What the Americans enjoy is a culture that values civil liberties and places the rights of individuals ahead of the power of the state.

yes, clearly the NSA, U.S. police militarization, the U.S. military industrial complex, etc., etc., etc.,... those are all shining examples of those rights you so pine over!

Nah it's about guns, which are deeply connected to the many of the great national myths (the revolution, the taming of the old west) and reflect the thread of paranoia and fear (of the government, of black people, of communists) that runs through the national consciousness.

FREEDOM!

It's also funny that the same people who make such a fuss about the right to bear arms as a symbol of freedom are silent or supportive of the state's ever-growing power and the militarization of the police. MRAPS and battle dress for the cops good! Background checks bad!

are those American proponents of gun control, gun registry, etc., your "smarmy anti-Americans"?

yes, clearly the NSA, U.S. police militarization, the U.S. military industrial complex, etc., etc., etc.,... those are all shining examples of those rights you so pine over!

When your tools in life are armoured vehicles and assault rifles, everyone starts looking like a terrorist.

And the NFA certainly play upon then Reform MP Harper’s near 20 year old promise to rescind the Liberal Firearms Act………Of course they are remiss in mentioning that they pine for full deregulation, which was certainly not the case prior to Bill C-68.....

And the NFA certainly play upon then Reform MP Harper’s near 20 year old promise to rescind the Liberal Firearms Act………Of course they are remiss in mentioning that they pine for full deregulation, which was certainly not the case prior to Bill C-68.....

Do they really want full deregulation, surely they are okay with keeping what we had prior to Bill C68

Do they really want full deregulation, surely they are okay with keeping what we had prior to Bill C68

Yes they do..........Some aspects of C-68 are certainly better than previous regulations, namely the current form of licences (PAL/RPAL) versus the previous FAC……..For instance, when we had the FAC, if I wanted to purchase a firearm, I would have to obtain a form from the store, go to the local police detachment, have a background check and return to the store……..If later I wanted to purchase another firearm, I would repeat the same steps etc.

Today with the current PAL system, I go through one background check on obtaining my licence. With non-restricted firearms, I can simply go into the store, present my licence, pay for my purchase and go home with my gun……….

Do you still have to make a store log book entry when buying ammo ? Or is that just Ontariario ?

Not legally.....Some dealers will record licence numbers for purchases for warranty purposes of firearms, likewise some sellers of ammo did record licence info as company policy (IIRC in Ontario and Quebec)…….As I’m sure you could imagine, their sales rapidly dried up until a policy rethink.

I expect the opposite........Gun owners are a large voting block and source of financial contributions to the CPC, which faced a prolonged pause in donations after the reclassifications of several firearms earlier this year……..

Gun owners aren't the reason the CPC got a majority but they could be a big reason they lose it.

Gun owners aren't the reason the CPC got a majority but they could be a big reason they lose it.

On getting the Majority that is open to debate, but I agree on them losing it without the support of gun owners, hence the reasoning behind the Government’s quick response to draft new legislation after the reclassification earlier this year…..And on the inverse, the Liberals voting down a resolution proposed during their policy convention that would have seen further “gun control”……..

Gun owners, here and in the States, are a very efficient voter block, that is typically politically active and financially stable, and in turn, can become a political porcupine.

On getting the Majority that is open to debate, but I agree on them losing it without the support of gun owners, hence the reasoning behind the Government’s quick response to draft new legislation after the reclassification earlier this year…..And on the inverse, the Liberals voting down a resolution proposed during their policy convention that would have seen further “gun control”……..

Gun owners, here and in the States, are a very efficient voter block, that is typically politically active and financially stable, and in turn, can become a political porcupine.

Actually I meant the opposite. Catering too much to gun owners will go a long way to losing their majority. Gun owners may have a strong lobby but they represent a minority of voters.

Playing to the base.

If you think McKay is making a blunder, then you are probably not the target of this latest conservative campaign and would probably never vote conservative anyways.

WWWTT

Playing to the base.

If you think McKay is making a blunder, then you are probably not the target of this latest conservative campaign and would probably never vote conservative anyways.

WWWTT

You would be wrong about that, however I'm not a mindless supporter who will stick with them no matter what, or any other party for that matter. I think I am more in the majority in that respect. That's why governments change. Edited by Wilber

Actually I meant the opposite. Catering too much to gun owners will go a long way to losing their majority. Gun owners may have a strong lobby but they represent a minority of voters.

I strongly suspect your are right on that. I think most of Canadians who need/want a gun whether they be a farmer or hunter etc', will happilly go through the hoops to obtain that gun with the trade off being that we aren't going down the road our neighbours to the south have chosen.

Catering too much is clearly subjective…….The new legislation to be tabled this Fall, is hardly controversial (or noticeable) to Canadians, well addressing several issues important to gun owners, a key base to the Tories. Does the ATT being rolled into an RPAL holders licence keep you up at night? What of requiring new applicants to complete a safety course, as opposed to challenging it? Returning several rifles that have been non-restricted for over a decade, back to non-restricted status? What of furthering restrictions placed against violent offenders from obtaining firearms…….surely you don’t feel that’s a bad thing?

Notice the Liberals have yet to publicly oppose the new legislation, likewise (as I mentioned prior) voted against their own party resolution seeking to further draconian gun laws………The Tories and Liberals have acted in such a way for a reason……..And it’s not because the gun owning constituency is immeasurable to the Canadian political calculus.

Edited by Derek 2.0