All They Need is a Handgun.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentally ill? Yes, but most likely driven to violence by an ill society with easy access to the weapons that are required to act out his violence.

Was a gun ban going to make Mr. Rodgers mentally well?

Am thinking it probably would have kept him from shooting people? It's not just access to guns that's the problem. As our resident Yankee troll unwittingly demonstrates, it's the culture of guns and their treatment as fetish objects, sacred totems, penis proxies that's part of the problem.

Am thinking it probably would have kept him from shooting people? It's not just access to guns that's the problem. As our resident Yankee troll unwittingly demonstrates, it's the culture of guns and their treatment as fetish objects, sacred totems, penis proxies that's part of the problem.

Banning guns would not have done much good for the people he stabbed to death, or the people he ran over with his BMW. I guess we need to start calling on the ban of knives and BMW's now as well.

I am thinking that proper diagnosis and tratment of mental illness might be a more efficient solution

Banning guns would not have done much good for the people he stabbed to death, or the people he ran over with his BMW. I guess we need to start calling on the ban of knives and BMW's now as well.

How fatuous.

I am thinking that proper diagnosis and tratment of mental illness might be a more efficient solution

tumblr_inline_n2dzf8LgOo1r1ign5.gif

Am I the "resident Yankee troll"? I hope not.

As we saw in a recent (yes, U.S.) incident a student went on a pretty serious knife rampage recently.

What I think this comes down to (and I may but can't promise a thread on this issue) is a need for people generally to keep better track of their neighbors and acquaintances. Someone, particularly the administration, faculty or other students at the "college" he was attending should have noticed this guy's spiraling decline. Likewise James Holmes, Jared Lochner and other recent mass killers. The Newtown slayer may have been genuinely inaccessible but most are not.

How so? Even his parents admit there were red flags overlooked and missed opportunities to intervene that would have prevented this. Banning guns however, would unfortunately not have.

Well, no one has spoken of actually banning guns for starters. Also your complaint about how no one wants to ban cars in spite of their damaging nature overlooks both the essential utility of cars over guns (the latter being specifically designed to kill) and the fact that cars are already heavily regulated, arguably even more so than guns.

Finally the mere fact that people will die by means other than guns is not a convincing argument against regulating guns.

No one has said that. But what gun control can do is minimize the amount of damage crazies can inflict.

How's that working out? Similar to the Lanza case, these firearms were legally obtained. Only difference is that it was Lanza's mother who owned the firearms and not Lanza himself.

But yet we see another incident and it surprises me this time to see the mental issue being pushed to the front as it should be with all these cases.

Finally the mere fact that people will die by means other than guns is not a convincing argument against regulating guns.

Also a government run operation like Fast and Furious. Weapons given to Mexican drug cartels to trace and track the guns and the people, only to find those guns crossing the border back into the US and used to commit crimes.

The gun control does nothing to address government negligence in this type of operation.

Yeah, and over 300 US children are killed each year in agricultural accidents, compared with how many potential starving related deaths?

That only makes sense if you don't understand the essential difference between farm machinery and guns. A subsistence hunter might use that argument but coming from anyone else it just sounds rediculous.

How's that working out? Similar to the Lanza case, these firearms were legally obtained. Only difference is that it was Lanza's mother who owned the firearms and not Lanza himself.But yet we see another incident and it surprises me this time to see the mental issue being pushed to the front as it should be with all these cases.

If you limit the number of guns lying around, you make it more difficult for the crazies to obtain them. It will never be impossible but Lanza's mother hadn't had that arsenal available to him, things might have gone in a different direction.

Well, no one has spoken of actually banning guns for starters.

Sorry, I must have missed something...

Am thinking it probably would have kept him from shooting people

Also your complaint about how no one wants to ban cars in spite of their damaging nature overlooks both the essential utility of cars over guns (the latter being specifically designed to kill) and the fact that cars are already heavily regulated, arguably even more so than guns.

I don't advocate for the banning of vehicles any more than I do the banning of guns.

How's that working out? Similar to the Lanza case, these firearms were legally obtained. Only difference is that it was Lanza's mother who owned the firearms and not Lanza himself.

Maybe that is a sign that it's too easy for people to get guns legally.

But yet we see another incident and it surprises me this time to see the mental issue being pushed to the front as it should be with all these cases.

You mean cases where the shooter is a white guy.

That only makes sense if you don't understand the essential difference between farm machinery and guns. A subsistence hunter might use that argument but coming from anyone else it just sounds rediculous.

I agree, it sounds ridiculous.

I guess it's not so much the tool used, but the intent to which it's used for.

If you limit the number of guns lying around, you make it more difficult for the crazies to obtain them. It will never be impossible but Lanza's mother hadn't had that arsenal available to him, things might have gone in a different direction.

These are LEGALLY obtained firearms.

Maybe that is a sign that it's too easy for people to get guns legally.

Even easier to get one illegally. Criminals will still find a way. This only hampers the overall right to own a firearm. Which is always in the cross hairs of the government.

You mean cases where the shooter is a white guy.

I don't care what colour of skin the guy has. It's not relevant overall. As in many other cases. Race is not something that needs to be brought into this gun debate thing. It's a really divisive item that does not get to the root of the problem.

The media was complicit in facilitating the racial issue with the Zimmerman shooting of Martin. We don't need it, it's not productive, it is more of a distraction.

Race is not something that needs to be brought into this gun debate thing. It's a really divisive item that does not get to the root of the problem.

The media was complicit in facilitating the racial issue with the Zimmerman shooting of Martin. We don't need it, it's not productive, it is more of a distraction.

I disagree - it's quite relevant, and I think a lot of African Americans would agree. Probably more relevant than having Canadians discuss an American issue, for that matter, since they actually live there.