Topic Creation

Shady

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's complete nonsense. It's proper posting procedure when beginning a topic to provide a proper link. If you don't like that, then post in a different forum. One where you have to read somebody's opinion, and then to a seperate google search to look up a source that they may or may not be referencing. And if Obama happens to stink it up, he's to be held accountable, just like every other president. And I do. Complete with links and references to reputable sources.

Well since you confirmed its all nonsense, is this thread finished now?

... I would like to see more personal opinions from Big Guy when it comes to his threads and what he personally feels about it. I don't particularly like someone throwing out a topic and not providing their own personal thoughts. It sort of feels like a lecturer throwing out topics to discuss and we are the students. I don't have a problem with no links being provided since his topics are usually of the mainstream media topics, so for those who want links, get over it!

I apologize for not having commented on this thread earlier. I have not accessed this part of the web page and options so I really did not know that it existed.

Since much of the discussion is based on my participation then I do owe those interested an explanation.

I have been allowed to be a recent member of the Mapleleafweb community. I have no intention of changing anything or of creating problems.

If most of my OP's appear "like a lecturer throwing out topics to discuss and we are the students" it is because that had been my successful academic approach in my productive years in trying to elicit student opinions . If you feel subordinated by that tactic then I apologize because that certainly is not my intent. I am only trying to draw out responses in the best way that I know.

There are issues with which I am comfortable with my opinion and there are many on which I have yet to make up my mind. Very selfishly, I post to popular public access bulletin boards to view other peoples opinions. Most boards are poorly monitored and supervised where an interesting and debatable issue disappears in a wave of personal attacks and electronic vandalism. I find this board to have avoided many of those weaknesses.

I do not include my personal thought once I create an OP because I do not have one at the time. If I already have an opinion then I would be posting what I think of this world. I know what I think, I want to know what others think.

Public access boards are easily dominated by the "nay sayers" and other unhappy individuals who use the medium to satisfy their frustrations based in the real world. I understand that but resent it when trying to get positive results from the time I spend on the keyboard.

The predominant atmosphere of these opinion boards is negativism and confrontation. That too is the nature of anonymous public access boards. It is human nature but does take away from the pleasure of gaining another's insight after having to filter out the cheap shots, teasing and some posters attempt to derail a thread that appears to be going in a direction which bothers a poster.

In most cases I can eventually end up with an opinion on an issue once I feel that I have the researched the background to make one based on adequate information. At that point I really no longer feel like trying to convince others. I used to get "big bucks" for that tedious and mostly unrewarding effort.

My opinions are the culmination of my education, experience, professional background, religion, ethnic culture, physical ability and health, financial status, friendships and age. I do understand that they are unique to me. I also understand that others have opinions based on their same influences but different conditions and their opinions are just as valid as are mine.

For those who have taken the time to read this rambling dissertation, I thank you for your patience and taking 4 minutes out of your valuable life to read my thoughts.

Edited by Big Guy

Yes, BG and WCR - we are eager to hear your opinions. I'm sure they are based on some facts, too, which can be the basis of a link you include in the OP. After all, our thoughts are usually a reflection on *something*. When we regard that thing, and your reflections on it then we have a full picture upon which to comment.

I do not believe it is lazy. Rather, I believe it is discriminatory --- I see it discriminating between people who are genuinely interested in the topic from people who are not. Regardless, that is neither here nor there.

I believe it is more foolish than it is lazy. Failing to provide a reference/link commonly provokes a slew of posts by people who ask for a link and add nothing more to the discussion. That is as predictable as clockwork.

The reason(s) you have stated, I couldn't disagree with more!

I see the knowingly willing omission of info source as a debate tactic to limit an debating opponents ability to counter.

In Canadian court of law, full disclosure must be granted when requested, failure to do so will result in dismissal!

WWWTT

If most of my OP's appear "like a lecturer throwing out topics to discuss and we are the students" it is because that had been my successful academic approach in my productive years in trying to elicit student opinions . If you feel subordinated by that tactic then I apologize because that certainly is not my intent. I am only trying to draw out responses in the best way that I know.

The predominant atmosphere of these opinion boards is negativism and confrontation. That too is the nature of anonymous public access boards. It is human nature but does take away from the pleasure of gaining another's insight after having to filter out the cheap shots, teasing and some posters attempt to derail a thread that appears to be going in a direction which bothers a poster.

My opinions are the culmination of my education, experience, professional background, religion, ethnic culture, physical ability and health, financial status, friendships and age. I do understand that they are unique to me. I also understand that others have opinions based on their same influences but different conditions and their opinions are just as valid as are mine.

Feel subordinated because of you ignorant/hostile/lame/feeble approach to debating??????

You still have not learned that any claim that you make of yourself is completely futile! You even state in the comment here that this an anonymous board, therefore you are fully aware of your intent! All you are trying to do is attempting to win influence.

Furthermore, we are all fully aware of how this forum works.

Good luck

WWWTT

At this point, the proper procedure is well established so let's just move forward, shall we ?

I agree, the matter is settled. But for the fact that some people feel that they're above the rules of the forum.

You seem to be seeing these ones just fine! :lol:

This is a post, which would require to put me to put you on ignore. Not a status update. Some of the status updates you post would actually be good threads. But yet you seem a little put off by going out on a limb. I guess dilution is the solution to pollution.

Some of the status updates you post would actually be good threads. But yet you seem a little put off by going out on a limb. I guess dilution is the solution to pollution.

We discussed this before. Sometimes a thread doesn't get the traction as an update.

WWWTT

Well, the good news is that Big Guy is using links. The bad news, he's spamming the forum with topics now.

I'd say ignore him and let his topics just slide down the board unless of course there are a few people who want to comment and then the topic goes back up. The problem is with those folks who respond.

It shouldn't be that way. Topics should be listed in order of the number of responses so the "popular" ones are at the top all the time so that ...

Besides, we should allow only "good" topics, the ones that ....

And furthermore, who does he think he is by providing all those OP's that people can ignore or comment upon?

I think it is time to boycott that guy or gal and restrict OP to issues that we are interest in. BTW what topics are we interested in? How do we find out?

This new guy is getting to be a pain. He doing things different. It's getting tough to insult or take cheap shots because he won't give us an opening. There is a right way of doing things and the wrong way. We all know the right way. Right!?! ;)

Seems to me, the more topics the merrier. If people aren't interested, they don't need to read or respond. Otherwise, we just get stuck in a rut of the same old Rob Ford update, Truth about Benghazi, and Should Justin Trudeau Resign? threads.