Jim Flaherty has died.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A funeral isn't a place to talk about a legacy? Well that's one opinion.

not when it's overtly politicized, as was done... not when it's sure to spark disagreement from others, particularly when delivered in such an overtly politicized manner. On those levels, Harper's words and actions detracted, rather than added. And yes, that's my opinion. Let's watch how the "Media Party" interprets it in the follow-up coverage.

He was a politician...a very partisan one.

...which is precisely why those things are glossed over or not mentioned in funeral eulogies. We come to celebrate the life of a man who was a staunch believer in Canada, protector of its economy, lover of its people, adversary to its opponents, whatever.

...NOTwhich particular budget cut did what benefit...... because that's when the people start seeing which cut did whatHARM...

NOT the place or time, Mr. Harper.

But that's what he believed in. I've never liked the way we all pretend that people are perfect after they die. The speech that Harper gave was a very real picture of who Flaherty was and what he believed in. That's the reality.

Harper was politicking on a grave.

QUOTE:

By November 2008, Jim and I had both concluded, not easily and certainly not what would have been expected, that the calamity befalling the global economic and financial system meant, among others things, that we had to run a deficit.

That is, not merely allow a modest deficit, but deliberately engineer as large a deficit as could be reasonably run, as a response to a collapsing marketplace.

So this, Jim did.

Canada announced one of the world’s larger stimulus packages and he engineered the money out the door far more rapidly than most.

This people remember well.

What they remember less well is that that was not all there was to it.

Jim knew that, in the past, even modest, short-term deficit spending had resulted in severe, long-term fiscal problems.

So, even as he pushed out stimulus spending, he made changes in longer-term expenditure policies that would reduce their growth path.

And then, there was what Jim did not do.

He did not use the crisis to build new bureaucracies, to create permanent new programs, to recklessly enhance entitlements or to reverse any tax cut that had been legislated.

He took other actions in housing and banking to ensure even greater long-term stability in our financial system.

And he put constraints on any excessive experimentations in monetary policy.

The result is this.

While, at one time, Canada was no better than middle of the pack, today in an uncertain world, Canada will have a balanced budget years ahead of others, with low debt and low taxes, and is recognized to be the best managed major developed economy.

UNQUOTE

Take that piece out, and you have a nice eulogy to a dedicated public servant.

With it,.... BAH.

Edited by Icebound

I doubt the entire media is paying attention to this funeral because Flaherty was a decent guy and a family man, it's because he was one of the nation's longest service finance ministers.

So I don't think talking positively about his legacy is offside, unless of course you disagree that his legacy was positive. ;)

It's like saying you can't talk about an actor's career at that person's funeral.

Edited by Boges

From watching pieces here and there of the funeral, noticed not many NDP/liberal MP's in the audience.

Also learned he had triplets!

Wonder if any of his son's are going to pull a Justin and pick up a political career after the death of their father?

WWWTT

I doubt the entire media is paying attention to this funeral because Flaherty was a decent guy and a family man, it's because he was one of the nation's longest service finance ministers.

So I don't think talking positively about his legacy is offside, unless of course you disagree that his legacy was positive. ;)

It's like saying you can't talk about an actor's career at that person's funeral.

Its one thing to talk "positively" about his legacy... ... but would you say... the way that he played John Doe in THIS movie makes it a lot better than all those OTHER movies... with the implication, of course, that all those other actors were useless.

No reflection on Flaherty, he is probably worthy as many who have received a state funeral in this country but I wonder what the criteria is. We tend to hold a lot of them in comparison to many countries. 40 since 1900. In comparison, aside from reigning monarchs, Britain has held only 5 state funerals in that period. Mountbatten being the last in 1979. Perhaps we need something in between a regular and a state funeral, like the ceremonial funerals given to the likes of Diana, the Queen Mother and Thatcher.

Edited by Wilber

Criteria:

State funerals in Canada are public events held to commemorate former governors general, prime ministers, members of theCabinet who died in office, and, at the Cabinet's discretion, other eminent Canadians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_funerals_in_Canada

Seems fine to me.

My problem isn't Flaherty, it's how liberal the guidelines are. State funerals should be rare and extraordinary events given in rare and extraordinary circumstances. They are the highest honour the country can give and too many of them just devalues their importance. Britain has had 3 since WW2 and one of them was a King.

We don't have Kings...at least, not in country....I suppose you could cut out cabinet ministers and just save it for PMs and GGs, but I don't think there have been too many of them personally.

Edited by Smallc

My problem isn't Flaherty, it's how liberal the guidelines are. State funerals should be rare and extraordinary events given in rare and extraordinary circumstances. They are the highest honour the country can give and too many of them just devalues their importance. Britain has had 3 since WW2 and one of them was a King.

Wouldn't think that when a cop gets killed!

Or how about when the first few dozen troops that died in Afghanistan coming home?

All kinds of media coverage and politicians making big talk.

This pissed me off because I work in the construction field, and I have known a couple people who have died/seriously injured. And I don't here squat nothing about the many more people who have died actually building this country doing an important job!

WWWTT

It would be if Cheech got up at Chong's funeral talking about all the great movies he was in. ;)

Wouldn't think that when a cop gets killed!

Or how about when the first few dozen troops that died in Afghanistan coming home?

All kinds of media coverage and politicians making big talk.

This pissed me off because I work in the construction field, and I have known a couple people who have died/seriously injured. And I don't here squat nothing about the many more people who have died actually building this country doing an important job!

WWWTT

Those are certainly out of the ordinary funerals but they are not state funerals.