PM Harper Shows Canadian Loyalty to Israel

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is the first Canadian PM to address the Knesset, expressing staunch Canadian support and loyalty for Israel:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper spoke fiercely in defence of Israel Monday, accusing critics of anti-Semitism, vowing to stand with the country, and drawing heckles from two legislators who eventually stormed out of his speech to the Knesset.

"Through fire and water, Canada will stand with you," Harper said in closing his speech to Israel's parliament, echoing a prayer that is said on Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

...Canada will defend Israel's right to exist, Harper said, because Jewish people deserve their own homeland after generations of persecution.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen-harper-vows-loyalty-to-israel-in-speech-to-knesset-1.2503393

How will this play in Canada...now...and at election time in 2015 ?

Should Israel become a Canadian province ?

image.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

I doubt it will have a positive or negative effect…….Folks likely to support Israel will also likely contiune to support the Federal Tories…….Folks that are likely opposed to this Governments support of Israel are already not likely to support the Federal Tories.

Should Israel become a Canadian province ?

Why do you ask? AFAIK, that's not under consideration........I'd think based on financial support, Israel would make a far more fitting State in the Union if that were in the cards……but it’s not.

Why do you ask? AFAIK, that's not under consideration........I'd think based on financial support, Israel would make a far more fitting State in the Union if that were in the cards……but it’s not.

That's why I asked....the "states" often hear this suggestion (usually as criticism) in the face of strong support for Israel. Why does PM Harper want a piece of the action ? What is the political strategy at play here ?

Guest Derek L

That's why I asked....the "states" often hear this suggestion (usually as criticism) in the face of strong support for Israel. Why does PM Harper want a piece of the action ? What is the political strategy at play here ?

Ethics and the willingness to verbally support Israel despite political expediencies…..

Guest Derek L

So he is firming up his base support. Harper haters we never going to come on side anyway.

In some regards......There is a very minute Jewish population within Canada, so small that they play very little into Canadian politics….I still contend that this is more so a demonstration of the Prime Minister doing what he feels is right.

I think this pandering is due to a combination of religious ideology of the hardcore base of the party and the 350,000 Jewish voters who are in key ridings, which mostly used to vote Liberal. With the resurgence of the Liberal party, the Jewish votes Harper had gained in the previous elections could be in jeopardy.

Guest Derek L

I think this pandering is due to a combination of religious ideology of the hardcore base of the party and the 350,000 Jewish voters who are in key ridings, which mostly used to vote Liberal. With the resurgence of the Liberal party, the Jewish votes Harper had gained in the previous elections could be in jeopardy.

Are you saying the Liberal Party of Canada doesn’t support Israel? I think Canadian Jewish voters have a far more nuanced political outlook on Canadian politics then you suggest.

I'd say correct on both counts. Harper has an affilliation with a pretty right wing evangelical religion "CAMA" and also, I don't think he rolls over in bed at night without thinking about where there might be a few more votes to eke out. Of course I get that all politicians rely on votes. However occasionally you'd like to think that the people we put in power would think of what's good for all and not just for their re-election hopes.

Ethics and the willingness to verbally support Israel despite political expediencies…..

Of course an anti Israel bias poster like Hudson Jones would answer you with the purile anti-semitic stereotype that all Jews in Canada vote for whoever favours Israel. It is exactly the kind of anti-semitic stereotype I expect from him, the myth that Jewish Canadians are all sheep who think and vote based on but one thing, support of Israel. What blatant anti-semitic bull. It is nothing more than the modern version of stereotyping all Jews as one cult with one mind.

Of course Hudson expects everyone to be an anti-semite using that Jew block vote myth and projects it on Harper.

I agree with you Derek. I don't think Harper gives a flying phack how many votes he does or does not get for being pro Israel. I think at most it may reflect his own personal Christian view. There are Protestants who feel strongly about Israel. Christians can be as strong supporters of Israel as anyone. It could reflect his own personal religious beliefs. Or as I suspect and you touched, he actually stands for what he says and someone like Hudson Jones who is so steeped in anti-semitism updated to politcally correct thinking that uses the pretext of criticizing Israel's existence to express his stereotypes about Jews, that he can't possibly understand.

Hudson Jones came on this forum accusing me of being tribal because I am a Jew and support Israel. That to him is tribal behaviour. In his world a Jew who supports Israel is tribal. If a Protestant does it, it must be because they are playing up to tribal votes.

Such barely disguised stereotyping of Harper, Jews, etc.

Harper on foreign policy is just that. He does what he believes. If he really wanted to suck up votes he would not do what he does. He could easily play a different tune.

He could be like Justin Trudeau and take into his inner circle anti-Israeli pro Hezbollah and Hamas supporters as Trudeau has done.

Do I vote for Harper blindly simply because he is a genuine friend of Israel and Jews and understands the root cause of anti-semtiism. No. However I support his foreign policy yes not just because of Israel but because of his stand on terrorism, Iran and other things.

It doesn't mean I do not criticize his failing to control coruption within his party.

I tell you this loud and clear. If its a choice between Trudeau and Harper I vote Harper nto simply because he is a friend of Israel but because he and John Baird have been principled and ethical on foreign affairs.

No he did not need our vote and anyone who knows how Jews vote know we do not blindly vote. Hudson Jones can stuff his anti-semitic stereotyping of how we vote.

Sigh.

Why is it antisemitic to state a politician is pandering to a group, whether its Tamils, Tibetans, or Israeli? The expectation is not to assume they are one block of vote but that you can appeal to a majority of the group by continually providing snippets to play to their hearts and minds. See Monument Against Communism. Its not antisemitism, its cynicism.

Just for perspective

No. However I support his foreign policy yes not just because of Israel but because of his stand on terrorism, Iran and other things.

Those (2) things I would argue are directly linked to Israeli matters. Please discuss what foreign affair matters beyond ME items which affect the security of Israel that the principled gov't is active on that you celebrate.

As a leader of a country, I think what Harper is doing is more for himself than for the good of Canada. Harper should be more balanced in his view, at least publicly because coming on strong for one side over the other only adds fuel to the fire. Harper , also, could have put himself and all the other with him in danger because after all its is the Middle-East.

As a leader of a country, I think what Harper is doing is more for himself than for the good of Canada. Harper should be more balanced in his view, at least publicly because coming on strong for one side over the other only adds fuel to the fire. Harper , also, could have put himself and all the other with him in danger because after all its is the Middle-East.

Harper is the prime minister and leader of the ruling party in Canada. Somebody voted for the Tories more than they voted for different choices. So this is Canada supporting Israel in a very clear and direct manner. That he would do so in the Middle East and be the first to address the Knesset means he is all in.

Harper is the prime minister and leader of the ruling party in Canada. Somebody voted for the Tories more than they voted for different choices. So this is Canada supporting Israel in a very clear and direct manner. That he would do so in the Middle East and be the first to address the Knesset means he is all in.

Good. History is on his side. This whole concept of rewarding terrorism with a seat at the UN and a Juden-Rein state is rather abhorrent to some Canadians...me being one.

hamassalute.jpg

Harper is once again mixing up his views for national policy. That said, I'm actually glad Harper spoke as he did in Israel. He revealed his true narrow-minded views and his questionable loyalty to Canadian values. I am concerned, however, that we, as taxpayers have to foot the bill for over 30 of Harper's posse who went to Israel to clap for him.

I'm not surprised that Harper has stayed silent on this - Further reflecting that his views do not reflect Canada's values:

B’Tselem headlined “Abuse and torture in interrogations of dozens of Palestinian minors in the Israel Police Etzion Facility.”
http://www.globalresearch.ca/testimonies-prove-israel-tortures-palestinian-children/5349509

UN report accuses Israel of child torture
http://www.smh.com.au/world/un-report-accuses-israel-of-child-torture-20130621-2om9x.html

I'm not surprised that Harper has stayed silent on this - Further reflecting that his views do not reflect Canada's values:

Please try to stay on topic and not derail this thread with the usual rants. Prime Minister Stephen Harper has publicly stated Canada's strong support for Israel as a matter of national policy and action(s).

Please try to stay on topic and not derail this thread with the usual rants. Prime Minister Stephen Harper has publicly stated Canada's strong support for Israel as a matter of national policy and action(s).

Canada's national policy states that the Jewish settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem are illegal, as according to international law. Here is a chance for you to learn something:

Occupied Territories and Settlements

Canada does not recognize permanent Israeli control over territories occupied in 1967 (the Golan Heights, the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip). The Fourth Geneva Convention applies in the occupied territories and establishes Israel's obligations as an occupying power, in particular with respect to the humane treatment of the inhabitants of the occupied territories. As referred to in UN Security Council Resolutions 446 and 465, Israeli settlements in the occupied territories are a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention. The settlements also constitute a serious obstacle to achieving a comprehensive, just and lasting peace.

This is why Harper's comments do not reflect Canada's national policy. They only reflect his personal values. Not only that, but Canada support human rights, especially when it comes to the rights of children. This is why Harper, as Canada's Prime Minister, should be condemning Israel's torture of children:

B’Tselem headlined “Abuse and torture in interrogations of dozens of Palestinian minors in the Israel Police Etzion Facility.”

http://www.globalres...hildren/5349509

UN report accuses Israel of child torture

http://www.smh.com.a...0621-2om9x.html

Edited by Hudson Jones

...This is why Harper's comments do not reflect Canada's national policy. They only reflect his personal values. Not only that, but Canada support human rights, especially when it comes to the rights of children. This is why Harper, as Canada's Prime Minister, should be condemning Israel's torture of children:

Thread hijacking...off topic.

i take it that your silence on canada's policy towards the illegal jewish settlements shows that you've learned something.

Thread hijacking...off topic.

we are talking about harper and its lip service and its support for israel. this is why HJ's comments on israel's policy, like torturing children, is NOT off topic. all you're trying to do is try to avoid the truth.

i take it that your silence on canada's policy towards the illegal jewish settlements shows that you've learned something.

we are talking about harper and its lip service and its support for israel. this is why HJ's comments on israel's policy, like torturing children, is NOT off topic. all you're trying to do is try to avoid the truth.

Thread hijacking...off topic. Start your own thread if you wish to discuss tortured children...maybe include Canada's residential schools.

The interesting thing about all this that I notice is how the various comment sections at Canadian news sites are lit-up with with what I'd term as antisemitic posts.

For example...the centre-right National Post...usually a sleepy place for comments.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/20/stephen-harper-heckled-during-historic-speech-to-israeli-legislature/

Some of those hacks have been posting for over 8 hours straight...lol.

The interesting thing about all this that I notice is how the various comment sections at Canadian news sites are lit-up with with what I'd term as antisemitic posts.

Yes, it looks like PM Harper has kicked a hornet's nest. I guess the Israel haters thought they were winning the propaganda war, only to have reality smack them right in the kisser.

Guest Derek L

Yes, it looks like PM Harper has kicked a hornet's nest.

What’s more, the Canadian media is making hay over the Prime Minister being heckled by several Arab-Israeli Knesset members…….Ironically, Israel is the only place in the Middle East that legitimately elects Arabs…..and allows them the right to heckle without fear of reprisal.

Yes, it looks like PM Harper has kicked a hornet's nest. I guess the Israel haters thought they were winning the propaganda war, only to have reality smack them right in the kisser.

If ol' Trudeau Jr gets into the driver's seat, I imagine there will be an abrupt about face on Israel. I give him about 60/40 if I was betting...but time will ultimately tell.