Michele Bachmann and End Times Foreign Policy

Guest American Woman

Because she's a nutbag. That's the view of the people who started this thread.

That doesn't mean it has to be the view of everyone responding.

Point is, she has some religious ideas that she speaks out about. Argus made the comment about Stockwell Day, whose "only issue was he was religious, and he had to tone that down drastically." How is that any different? So he "toned it down" publicly. I'd personally rather know where a politician is coming from, so I think it was likely better before he "toned it down." I think American politicians aren't pressured, don't feel pressure, to "tone it down," and I see that as a good thing. What you see is what you get.

At any rate, all of her views aren't 'crazy.' She makes a lot of sense here, IMO. I'm sure there are reasons why she was elected and i'm confident that the reason isn't that all of the people who voted for her are "wack jobs wandering around... screaming and howling and demanding God bring down his lightning on all their enemies." Do you think otherwise?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't mean it has to be the view of everyone responding.

Point is, she has some religious ideas that she speaks out about. Argus made the comment about Stockwell Day, whose "only issue was he was religious, and he had to tone that down drastically." How is that any different? So he "toned it down" publicly. I'd personally rather know where a politician is coming from, so I think it was likely better before he "toned it down." I think American politicians aren't pressured, don't feel pressure, to "tone it down," and I see that as a good thing. What you see is what you get.

At any rate, all of her views aren't 'crazy.' She makes a lot of sense here, IMO. I'm sure there are reasons why she was elected and i'm confident that the reason isn't that all of the people who voted for her are "wack jobs wandering around... screaming and howling and demanding God bring down his lightning on all their enemies." Do you think otherwise?

I agree with your first point, and I have said it myself in this thread despite the fact that someone is intent on ignoring it (the man with the surname of a former president and vice president in his username that is).

I also agree with your second point. I'd prefer Mrs. Bachmann and those like her keep their madness in the open. If any of them are too off the rails for my taste, then I take it into account either at the polls or when passing value judgments on them (because I'm just that high and mighty). It has been my aim to extract a condemnation for her 9/11 statements, and at least a nod of disapproval for her comments on Obama's foreign policy (whatever one thinks of said policy). I don't think that's too much to ask for.

I think I agree, at least in part, on your third point as well. She doesn't sound crazy in the linked article. However, I must point out that no one was taking umbrage because of her stance on the ACA (I'll also say that I'm inclined to agree with her statements made in the article). The thread is about her religious views, and how they're obviously "disagreeable" to put it mildly. She shouldn't get brownie points for occasionally speaking sense. Also in my defense, that isn't my comment you're quoting, and I don't think I ever condoned it either.

Edited by dickwhitman

Because they want to be, and it is their right to hold such views. Americans died for this option, starting with a violent boot to the ass of a monarchy and now fallen empire. That's why Canada watches America now.

I don't think anyone has a problem with her rights. I think what Canadians find interesting is that people like Bachmann and a Stop the World I Want to Get Off Party can get so much traction.

I don't think anyone has a problem with her rights. I think what Canadians find interesting is that people like Bachmann and a Stop the World I Want to Get Off Party can get so much traction.

Why ? The U.S. population is much larger and more diverse than Canada's and many other nations. The Tea Party caucus seized upon her notoriety and leadership. And Rep. Bachmann kept getting re-elected.

Sure. It's not strange that they exist, but that they have done so well.

Not strange at all....any constituency that is large enough can propel a leader to the fore. Ross Perot did it in 1992, despite being called a "nutbar" by his critics. Sometimes, the strategy of criticism backfires as free media attention highlights such candidates.

Point is, she has some religious ideas that she speaks out about. Argus made the comment about Stockwell Day, whose "only issue was he was religious, and he had to tone that down drastically." How is that any different?

It's different in that her politics were a lot more hateful than Stockwell Day's, a lot more shrill and venomous.

Pretty much all of them except for the first couple in this thread have the answer to your questions. You seem to be more interested in convincing Canadians to not to care about the US more than you seem to be interested in the reasons why Canadians are interested in the US. Every time they've given a reason as to why they're interested in the US, you've dismissed it for some reason (as if it weren't the real reason they're interested in the US) and every time I've given you an answer as to why Mrs. Bachmann ought to be recognized by everyone as a bag of nuts, you've said it doesn't affect her politics even though the article in the very first post makes it clear that it does.

And I trust that you've at least read the article in the OP.

In case it's not obvious, bush_cheney2004 is not interested in advancing discussion. He's here to troll. It's best just to ignore him.

In case it's not obvious, bush_cheney2004 is not interested in advancing discussion. He's here to troll. It's best just to ignore him.

I was unwisely optimistic about our conversation initially, and tried to find points we could agree on in the hope that his posts were sincere. I gave up after the first few "circles of what-might-be-called-thought" I followed him around. That is to say I have him on my ignore list now.

I was unwisely optimistic about our conversation initially, and tried to find points we could agree on in the hope that his posts were sincere. I gave up after the first few "circles of what-might-be-called-thought" I followed him around. That is to say I have him on my ignore list now.

If you only wish to read others parrot back your own views, then ignore is certainly the best bet. I probably know more about Rep. Bachmann than all of the haters here combined, as I live in the next MN district.

Open minded people are just that because they don't cloister themselves in right wing religious freakshow politics. I don't go to church, I don't care if you do, just keep that crap out of lawmaking.

Sure, just as soon as Canada takes religion out of its Constitution Act. Rep. Bachmann has no such power in the U.S., even if she prays real hard at church.

We have seperation of church and state here. For instance, if you have to testify in court here you don't have to swear on the bible.

Not required in the U.S. either. Some people watch too much American television !

Rep. Bachmann has never advocated for government funding to religious schools the way it is practiced in several Canadian provinces.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Hey if she likes to go to church and pray hard, I will be the last person to attempt to impede her, or anyone. But I will certainly fight hard against anyone who tries to trying to impose laws based on what they think their particular God is thinking

Not sure how you can do that from Canada if it involves U.S. federal, state, or local legislation. Rep. Bachmann is quite "mainstream" in traditional American practices for prayer, invocations, faith based initiatives, community programs, etc. You cannot chase God away from America by fighting hard from Canada.