Stephen Harper - Uncut

Left wing media sources and the opposition would have Canadians believe that Stephen Harper and the Conservatives are an embarassment on the world stage. Following is a link to a one-hour program from last week where Harper is interviewed and takes questions in New York's Council on Foreign Relations. Reporters of all stripes asking a myriad of questions on Climate Change, Aboriginal issues, the Mid-East, the world economies and more. How can Canadians NOT respect a man with as deep a knowledge of domestic and world affairs? If you like politics and world affairs, it's thoroughly entertaining - and you'll get a good idea for how Canada is moving forward. And you'll hear it straight from Harper - unfiltered by his partisan opponents. This is what leadership is all about.

Link: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/stephen-harper-uncut-harper-q-american-audience-201203081.html

Edited by Keepitsimple

Left wing media sources and the opposition would have Canadians believe that Stephen Harper and the Conservatives are an embarassment on the world stage. Following is a link to a one-hour program from last week where Harper is interviewed and takes questions in New York's Council on Foreign Relations. Reporters of all stripes asking a myriad of questions on Climate Change, Aboriginal issues, the Mid-East, the world economies and more. How can Canadians NOT respect a man with as deep a knowledge of domestic and world affairs? If you like politics and world affairs, it's thoroughly entertaining - and you'll get a good idea for how Canada is moving forward. And you'll hear it straight from Harper - unfiltered by his partisan opponents. This is what leadership is all about.

Link: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/stephen-harper-uncut-harper-q-american-audience-201203081.html

Harper must be schilling for a post-politics job down south or internationally: He never answers unscripted open question sessions here in Canada!

I hope he gets a new job ... soon.

Thanks for posting this, it's worth watching.

I watched most of that live and was favourably impressed. His answer to the health care question should put to rest the lies about him (PM Harper) wanting to do away with it, those lies don't wash. (among others). It should be required watching for anyone who cares about Canada.

a few porkies there, hey? How about a dose of KXL reality that both Harper and Oliver are failing on:

tarsand-v-budget-500x423.jpg

Do you have another chart that shows how much CO2 will be emitted in that time frame by all other sources? I'm curious as to how much difference to the global CO2 concentrations it would make if there were no oil sands.

What chance do you think we would have of avoiding that dotted line there?

Harper has made many promises only to break them and then say I'm sorry but we had to..... Canadians don't trust them anymore. Of course , he wants the pipeline, he has to accomplished something before then end of his era. besides, he probably owns many share of gas and oil as do most of the MP's.. Later down the road, he can go back to Alberta and run for Premier , and say, see what I did for the province!

Harper has made many promises only to break them and then say I'm sorry but we had to..... Canadians don't trust them anymore. Of course , he wants the pipeline, he has to accomplished something before then end of his era. besides, he probably owns many share of gas and oil as do most of the MP's.. Later down the road, he can go back to Alberta and run for Premier , and say, see what I did for the province!

Did you watch the video - the subject of this thread?

Do you have another chart that shows how much CO2 will be emitted in that time frame by all other sources? I'm curious as to how much difference to the global CO2 concentrations it would make if there were no oil sands.

This is pretty simple stuff to look up. The 'viable' tar sands reserve stands at about 170 billion barrels. The world consumption of oil is about 30 billion barrels a year.

If we burned all of that at once, that equals about the same amount of oil consumed in the last 6 years ONLY. Considering that oil doesn't even account for 50% of world CO2 emissions per year, and considering that the world has burned FAR FAR FAR FAR more oil than 170 billion barrels over the last 20 years alone, the chart seems like a steaming pile to me!

I've watched him before, last time it was a woman interviewer and he always tells the US how much he loves their country, gee just like Mulroney. Harper knows what and how to say things to make himself look good. He also knows that Canadians will be listening to what he has to say but Canadians know he says one thing and does another. If one believes everything he says, then believe, I don't and I don't think many Canadians do.

I've watched him before, last time it was a woman interviewer and he always tells the US how much he loves their country, gee just like Mulroney. Harper knows what and how to say things to make himself look good. He also knows that Canadians will be listening to what he has to say but Canadians know he says one thing and does another. If one believes everything he says, then believe, I don't and I don't think many Canadians do.

Does that mean you like what he says - but you just don't believe it? He covers a lot of ground in the interview - is there a particular area where you disagree with his assessment?

Does that mean you like what he says - but you just don't believe it? He covers a lot of ground in the interview - is there a particular area where you disagree with his assessment?

I'm wondering were is he really going on health care, he know it cost a lot but then he's cutting back on to the provinces down the road and the only thing will change that, if we get a new government seating. First impression are very important as a PM, and once you break your word, once, twice, you're dead.

I'm wondering were is he really going on health care, he know it cost a lot but then he's cutting back on to the provinces down the road and the only thing will change that, if we get a new government seating. First impression are very important as a PM, and once you break your word, once, twice, you're dead.

Listen carefully to what he says on Healthcare because he's taken the most important step in the history of Medicare - and people are still fooled by "the old days". The most important thing to understand is that the provinces are responsible for the delivery of healthcare - how hospitals are built and run, how much doctors make, how many nurses are hired or fired, what drugs are covered....everything - is the responsibility of the provinces - always has been. Yet for years, the Federal government - especially the Liberals, has allowed a facade/charade to continue as if they were the grand protectors of medicare - and every year, the Feds and the provinces would argue over how much money the Feds would give the provinces. As a result, the provinces would blame the Feds for starving Medicare - especially when Paul Martin severely cut back transfer payments to the provinces (balancing the budget on the backs of the provinces was the buzz phrase). Now, there's no more arguing - no more waffling. The provinces have been given a predictable source of funding - which will rise every year between 3 and 6%. Now the roles are clear and the provinces have to get on with it. If they can't run their healthcare efficiently, they'll have to fix it - or cut services, raise taxes or cut somewhere else....but the Provinces can no longer pin the blame on the Feds - they'll have to take action and learn best practices from each other......and you can strike another item off the "hidden agenda" - if there's going to be any privatization of medicare (a healthy mix like most European countries) - then it's the provinces who will move toward those options.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Harper must be schilling for a post-politics job down south or internationally: He never answers unscripted open question sessions here in Canada!

I hope he gets a new job ... soon.

At least he does answer questions,unlike Justin Trudeau who scurries off in a huff when he get's asked something tough.He's terrified of anyone from Sun News.

This is pretty simple stuff to look up. The 'viable' tar sands reserve stands at about 170 billion barrels. The world consumption of oil is about 30 billion barrels a year.

If we burned all of that at once, that equals about the same amount of oil consumed in the last 6 years ONLY. Considering that oil doesn't even account for 50% of world CO2 emissions per year, and considering that the world has burned FAR FAR FAR FAR more oil than 170 billion barrels over the last 20 years alone, the chart seems like a steaming pile to me!

Methane! Methane!

Listen carefully to what he says on Healthcare because he's taken the most important step in the history of Medicare - and people are still fooled by "the old days". The most important thing to understand is that the provinces are responsible for the delivery of healthcare - how hospitals are built and run, how much doctors make, how many nurses are hired or fired, what drugs are covered....everything - is the responsibility of the provinces - always has been. Yet for years, the Federal government - especially the Liberals, has allowed a facade/charade to continue as if they were the grand protectors of medicare - and every year, the Feds and the provinces would argue over how much money the Feds would give the provinces. As a result, the provinces would blame the Feds for starving Medicare - especially when Paul Martin severely cut back transfer payments to the provinces (balancing the budget on the backs of the provinces was the buzz phrase). Now, there's no more arguing - no more waffling. The provinces have been given a predictable source of funding - which will rise every year between 3 and 6%. Now the roles are clear and the provinces have to get on with it. If they can't run their healthcare efficiently, they'll have to fix it - or cut services, raise taxes or cut somewhere else....but the Provinces can no longer pin the blame on the Feds - they'll have to take action and learn best practices from each other......and you can strike another item off the "hidden agenda" - if there's going to be any privatization of medicare (a healthy mix like most European countries) - then it's the provinces who will move toward those options.

He only promised those increases until 2015, and only under extreme pressure from seniors who threatened to vote for the NDP.

Those increases are less than the cost increases due to aging population and price increases - ie, they are actually cuts in spending per person.

He only promised those increases until 2015, and only under extreme pressure from seniors who threatened to vote for the NDP.

Those increases are less than the cost increases due to aging population and price increases - ie, they are actually cuts in spending per person.

Jacee - are you lying, shilling - or are you just a bonehead? These are the facts - do you dispute them?

Flaherty said his government will hold the annual increase in the transfer to 6% until 2016-17, which is the current rate the federal government gives the provinces. But then it will begin linking the health care increases to the rate of the country’s economic growth including inflation — which is currently roughly 4%. The federal government is also promising that it won’t lower the annual increases to below 3%, even if economic growth dips below that level.

But that's not the crux of the move, as I explained in my post - it's to create clear roles and stop the incessant annual squabbling between the Provinces and the Feds. The Provinces are responsible for all elements delivering Heathcare - now they can get on with it.

Edited by Keepitsimple

I plan on watching later. But I did watch Justin Trudeau's interview by Peter Mansbridge. Harper has an obvious depth of knowledge and maturity. Trudeau, not so much.

Jacee - are you lying, shilling - or are you just a bonehead? These are the facts - do you dispute them?

Flaherty said his government will hold the annual increase in the transfer to 6% until 2016-17, which is the current rate the federal government gives the provinces. But then it will begin linking the health care increases to the rate of the country’s economic growth including inflation — which is currently roughly 4%. The federal government is also promising that it won’t lower the annual increases to below 3%, even if economic growth dips below that level.

But that's not the crux of the move, as I explained in my post - it's to create clear roles and stop the incessant annual squabbling between the Provinces and the Feds. The Provinces are responsible for all elements delivering Heathcare - now they can get on with it.

nice spin! What lack of stability??? The annual 6% increase has been in place for over a decade. Initially, Harper Conservatives said they would not extend it beyond the end of the existing accord... ending in 2014. It was only when, in the last election campaign, Liberals promised to extend it beyond the existing accord that, suddenly, Flaherty trots out the 2016-17 extension. What roles weren't clear... what elements of healthcare responsibility were, apparently, unclear???