Alberta Pleads Keystone XL Case in NYT Ad

How can Obama put more weight on what the environmentalists are saying when the State Department basically said that they're full of it? If the pipeline doesn't get approved, after that assessment, I'll be very surprised.

we saw the industry infiltrated bias in the first environmental assessment... given the resulting furor over the conflict of interest, who would have thought the same scenario would come forward with the second assessment!

State Dept. Hid Contractor's Ties to Keystone XL Pipeline Company --- A top expert who helped write the government's latest Keystone report previously consulted on three different TransCanada projects—a fact the State Department tried to hide.

Experts who helped draft the report had previously worked for TransCanada, the company looking to build the Keystone pipeline, and other energy companies poised to benefit from Keystone's construction. State released documents in conjunction with the Keystone report in which these experts' work histories were redacted so that anyone reading the documents wouldn't know who'd previously hired them.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alberta does in fact need pipeline construction to continue to develop our economic infrastructure. Having said that, the quick and dirty brute force business model that has been floating around since the Progressive Conservative government in Alberta first came to power. back in the early seventies has since proven to be functionally impaired.

Alberta needs to do far more than simply develop primary industry, we need to develop secondary industry as well. We have very little manufacturing infrastructure outside of the petrochemical industry, very much a one horse economy. Pipelines actually add to the problem unless they are moving finished product to retail operations.

Thursday night, I was listening the US Mike Savage, and he was running down the oil sands saying the Oil sand in Canada has high sulphur and one can see the sulphur from outer space. He was venting about lies the government tells it people and so on.

Alberta bitumen has much more sulphur content than sweet crude....they gotta put it somewhere:

elemental-sulfur.jpg

Dirty Alberta oil, that is funny! Clean coal, another funny one. Safe nuclear power. The list is very nearly endless.

Oil is a product bought and sold. The cost of production is reflected in the retail price, or it doesn't get sold. Its pretty simple really, buy it or do not its not too complicated.

When the wing nuts and moon bats are out, you can hear them sing. The song I would like to hear is the one about the CLEAN MONEY is making the world a better place, but the one song I hear all day is the holier than thou righteous outrage of one group of citizens telling another how to live. This should not be just about the money. It should not be just about the environment. It should not be just about the politics. It should be about how society can work together for mutual benefit, at mutual expense.

Alberta bitumen has much more sulphur content than sweet crude....they gotta put it somewhere:

elemental-sulfur.jpg

We ship this stuff by train to china all the time.... don't think of those big piles of yellow dust as waste or environmentally toxic, because they are neither , they are just really big piles of money that smell like rotten eggs ...... its used to make medicine and matches, I think you can actually use the stuff to help grow food... its quite the remarkable substance.....

We ship this stuff by train to china all the time.... don't think of those big piles of yellow dust as waste or environmentally toxic, because they are neither , they are just really big piles of money that smell like rotten eggs ...... its used to make medicine and matches, I think you can actually use the stuff to help grow food... its quite the remarkable substance.....

Oh sure...we love sulphur too...like to give it to the trick-or-treaters on Halloween...in kilo bags ! You guys have a train that goes to China ? Cool !

Oh sure...we love sulphur too...like to give it to the trick-or-treaters on Halloween...in kilo bags ! You guys have a train that goes to China ? Cool !

I would love to see that train too.

The Americans do love sulphur as you are the largest producer in the world with Canada being in second position.

Canada is the world's second-largest producer of elemental sulphur after the US. Sulphur production in Canada is mostly dictated by gas production and related market factors; as such, sulphur recovery in Canada is deemed involuntary or nondiscretionary. Most of Canada's sulphur activity occurs in the oil sands

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/sulphurhttp://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/sulphurhttp://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/sulphur

You produce the most but still have the kindess to buy ours. Look at all that sulphur you get from Canada.....80% of our exports to the US. What great neighbors.

http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commodities/minerals/sulfur/sulfur_t9.html

The price for a full page ad may be $30K, but the obvious and continued Kyoto FAIL is priceless !! biggrin.png

Well, enjoy that craptastic quality of the bitumen. Even at a reduced price, lots more energy spent extracting/refining/transporting than what is being taken out of the ground. A net energy loss.

But could you pay in something other than the greenback? We prefer getting a currency with some value attached to it.

After the recent jobs reports in both the U.S. and Canada, its time Obama finally approved the pipeline project. This is getting ridiculous. Especially after the recently released and completed environmental impact report. His delay is still costing thousands of manufacturing and construction jobs, and many spin off jobs from the project as a whole.

Well, enjoy that craptastic quality of the bitumen. Even at a reduced price, lots more energy spent extracting/refining/transporting than what is being taken out of the ground. A net energy loss.

But could you pay in something other than the greenback? We prefer getting a currency with some value attached to it.

We should ask for silver in return.

As always Shady ,, thinking small, i'd go for the gold and/or platinum.

I see your point, but silver is the best conductor of electricity, which is a necessity in all of our electronics, and cell phones etc. There's also a big shortage of silver right now. I say go with silver and hoard it.

Guest American Woman

You're probably right.

I would say so, considering it's your government trying to gain our approval; methinks greenbacks are looking mighty fine. :)

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be making sarcastic remarks about the value of our currency. Makes me wonder if y'all are aware of the value of your own. :P

Edited by American Woman

I would say so, considering it's your government trying to gain our approval; methinks greenbacks are looking mighty fine. :)

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be making sarcastic remarks about the value of our currency. Makes me wonder if y'all are aware of the value of your own. :P

Our banks send thanks your federal reserve for the bail out.

• 3 months later...

After the recent jobs reports in both the U.S. and Canada, its time Obama finally approved the pipeline project. This is getting ridiculous. Especially after the recently released and completed environmental impact report. His delay is still costing thousands of manufacturing and construction jobs, and many spin off jobs from the project as a whole.

Shockingly, that may not happen. Looks like we are at a tipping point!

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/touch/story.html?id=8745872

Democrats and independents would like to see a rapid move towards renewables and a rapid move away from fossil fuels and Republicans would like to see a rapid move towards renewables but a much slower move away from fossil fuels," he said.

Until recently, Obama's policy has been to support both renewables and fossil fuels with equal vigour. Maibach's polling, however, may have swung the pendulum over to clean energy."I actually think that the president is catching up with public opinion," he said.

This grassroots, green revolution has given Obama the voter support to claim in stark terms - as he did this week - that projects such as the Keystone XL pipeline do not automatically fit into America's vision of a greener future and job creation. It allows him to use Keystone XL as an anvil upon which he can pound out his message that jobs and economic revival are not to be found in a pipeline designed to transport "dirty oil" from Canada's oilsands for decades to come.

In other words, attacking Keystone suddenly makes political sense, Maibach said.

Edited by jacee

Guest American Woman

It's not exactly shocking as that's been the writing on the wall for awhile now. Evidently Canada sees it as a threat to U.S.-Canada relations:

John Ivison: Obama’s latest Keystone comments could foreshadow a crisis in Canada-U.S. relations

"It is hard to see how the relationship between the two men would recover if Mr. Obama blocks the pipeline."

This grassroots, green revolution has given Obama the voter support to claim in stark terms - as he did this week - that projects such as the Keystone XL pipeline do not automatically fit into America's vision of a greener future and job creation. It allows him to use Keystone XL as an anvil upon which he can pound out his message that jobs and economic revival are not to be found in a pipeline designed to transport "dirty oil" from Canada's oilsands for decades to come.

In other words, attacking Keystone suddenly makes political sense, Maibach said.

Sounds like the same polls McGuinty was reading in Ontario. And Ontario was all for green energy -- until they found out how much it was going to cost. Now people loathe him, and his green energy policies have proven economically disastrous while helping the environment not at all. Ontario could soon have the world's highest electricity prices.

It's not exactly shocking as that's been the writing on the wall for awhile now. Evidently Canada sees it as a threat to U.S.-Canada relations:

John Ivison: Obamas latest Keystone comments could foreshadow a crisis in Canada-U.S. relations

"It is hard to see how the relationship between the two men would recover if Mr. Obama blocks the pipeline."

What relationship? :)