New evidence Nixon did indeed sabotage peace talks in 68

BBC is reporting with the newest release of LBJ tapes that is now confirmed that Nixon and his team interfered in 68 Peace talks leading the deaths of more Americans. What a horrible man.

Chennault was despatched to the South Vietnamese embassy with a clear message: the South Vietnamese government should withdraw from the talks, refuse to deal with Johnson, and if Nixon was elected, they would get a much better deal.

So on the eve of his planned announcement of a halt to the bombing, Johnson learned the South Vietnamese were pulling out.

He was also told why. The FBI had bugged the ambassador's phone and a transcripts of Anna Chennault's calls were sent to the White House. In one conversation she tells the ambassador to "just hang on through election".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21768668

Someday in the future we will learn from some documents somewhere about Reagan and the hostages. Lesson from this is don't be an American over seas when a Republican is running for the Whitehouse. You are just a number to them and if they need to use you to get to the Presidency well they could care less.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There wasn't a chance in Hell of peace in 1968, anyways. That war was ON and Tricky Dick did not start it. Viet-Nam was one of those events where nobody was at fault but everyone else was to blame.

Doesn't mean if you are running for president you should spend your time sabotaging America......I guess unless you are a Republican.

Someday in the future we will learn from some documents somewhere about Reagan and the hostages. Lesson from this is don't be an American over seas when a Republican is running for the Whitehouse.

Can't wait to hear about Romney and Iran/Israel from 2012 election campaign.

I called that one while it was happening.

Whatever happened to the big,bad nuclear threat Iran anyways?

Oh ya,the republicans lost the election,that's what happened.

WWWTT

There wasn't a chance in Hell of peace in 1968, anyways. That war was ON and Tricky Dick did not start it. Viet-Nam was one of those events where nobody was at fault but everyone else was to blame.

America is a democracy so this is the fault of the American people and they have no one but themselves to blame for the things their governments do.

The lesson of LBJ's tapes are that recordings of government officials need to be released as they happen not 50 years after the fact.

Doesn't mean if you are running for president you should spend your time sabotaging America......I guess unless you are a Republican.

Meanwhile, LBJ upped troop strength in Viet-Nam to its highest levels of the war. Not to mention the Communists were a wee bit of a factor in the war besides US Presidents and their peculiar antics. Nobody was wearing a halo.

WWWTT

Try using the word Viet-Nam at some point, eh?

biggrin.png

Meanwhile, LBJ upped troop strength in Viet-Nam to its highest levels of the war. Not to mention the Communists were a wee bit of a factor in the war besides US Presidents and their peculiar antics. Nobody was wearing a halo.

LBJ was the democratically elected President at the time. The other guy was just a guy looking to kill peace talks because they might have gotten in the way of his ambitions. Lets not forget 20000-30000 Americans lost their lives after these talks were sunk.

America is a democracy so this is the fault of the American people and they have no one but themselves to blame for the things their governments do.

The lesson of LBJ's tapes are that recordings of government officials need to be released as they happen not 50 years after the fact.

After Nixon's tapes killed him no other President has recorded their conversations the way LBJ or Nixon did. They at least teach us their should be a law that all these conversations are recorded so we know what was happening at the time.

LBJ was the democratically elected President at the time. The other guy was just a guy looking to kill peace talks because they might have gotten in the way of his ambitions. Lets not forget 20000-30000 Americans lost their lives after these talks were sunk.

Ummmm...no he was not the democratically elected President. JFK was shot and voila...here's LBJ raising the right hand on Air Force 1. Plenty of US troops died on LBJ's watch as well as Nixon's...and Ford's....and Kennedy's...perhaps a few during Ike's term, too.

Ummmm...no he was not the democratically elected President. JFK was shot and voila...here's LBJ raising the right hand on Air Force 1. Plenty of US troops died on LBJ's watch as well as Nixon's...and Ford's....and Kennedy's...perhaps a few during Ike's term, too.

LBJ won one of the biggest landslides in Presidential History. It was literally the largest spread in popular vote in Presidential history and the 6th largest in terms of the electoral collage. You have to go back to 1820 when no ran against Monroe to find an election that a candidate who did better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1964

He won 61% of the popular vote. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts. He won by 15,000,000 votes.

Edited by punked

True enough. But, my point stands that LBJ was certainly no shrinking violet when it came to war.

Never said he was and maybe the peace talks would have fell apart on their own. Doesn't excuse Nixon from killing the Peace America wanted for his own gain. He had no business going to the South telling to kill the talks because he was going to bomb the North and get them a better deal. That was not America's best interest and it just shows if you are an American over seas when Republicans are running for government be careful because they will put your life in harms way to win an election.

Never said he was and maybe the peace talks would have fell apart on their own. Doesn't excuse Nixon from killing the Peace America wanted for his own gain. He had no business going to the South telling to kill the talks because he was going to bomb the North and get them a better deal. That was not America's best interest and it just shows if you are an American over seas when Republicans are running for government be careful because they will put your life in harms way to win an election.

Heh...again...you could say the same about the Democrats and war. A pre-1970s Democrat looked and smelled an awful lot like a Republican. Only with Carter and beyond did they become the polarized pair of parties we see today.

Heh...again...you could say the same about the Democrats and war. A pre-1970s Democrat looked and smelled an awful lot like a Republican. Only with Carter and beyond did they become the polarized pair of parties we see today.

Haven't seen any evidence of a Democrat meeting with international bodies to try and prolong war and American death to win an election. I now have real evidence of a Republican doing it, have heard rumor of another Republican (Regan) doing it and just saw a Republican Presidential (Romney) candidate lie about what the president said about an attack on Americans. Again if you an American don't go aboard if a Republican really wants to win an election. They will put you in harms way to win. That is all I have seen.

Haven't seen any evidence of a Democrat meeting with international bodies to try and prolong war and American death to win an election. I now have real evidence of a Republican doing it, have heard rumor of another Republican (Regan) doing it and just saw a Republican Presidential (Romney) candidate lie about what the president said about an attack on Americans. Again if you an American don't go aboard if a Republican really wants to win an election. They will put you in harms way to win. That is all I have seen.

And any Democrat will leave your azz to swing in the breeze if taken hostage? Of course not. But, Jimmy C would.

No halos in politics.

And any Democrat will leave your azz to swing in the breeze if taken hostage? Of course not. But, Jimmy C would.

No halos in politics.

Again when you have a Republican running for office you better be scared because they will call up Iran tell them to hold those hostages as long as they can and then sell them some missiles as long as the hostages are released as soon as you are elected. You got one party working for all Americans and one that is looking to put them danger to gain a foothold in an election.

Again when you have a Republican running for office you better be scared because they will call up Iran tell them to hold those hostages as long as they can and then sell them some missiles as long as the hostages are released as soon as you are elected. You got one party working for all Americans and one that is looking to put them danger to gain a foothold in an election.

FDR...my favorite US President...locked up the Japanese just like we did up here in Canada. I don't think he was 'working for all Americans' at that point. But, I think you're far too obsessed with party lines. Presidents can be very much alike when push comes to shove. Kennedy nearly got EVERYBODY on the planet killed. Should we say all Democrats are reckless nuclear brinksmanship honchos willing to bet the entire farm over a stupid island? Shall we ignore ol' Nikita's role in the affair as you do with Uncle Ho...ultimately the fellow responsible for starting the Viet-Nam war? You and I both know that would be silly. Nixon...in my view...while a nasty fellow and such...was actually a rather effective President. How is your (no-doubt) Chinese made computer doing this morning, anyways?

:)

nixon+in+china.jpg

FDR...my favorite US President...locked up the Japanese just like we did up here in Canada. I don't think he was 'working for all Americans' at that point. But, I think you're far too obsessed with party lines. Presidents can be very much alike when push comes to shove. Kennedy nearly got EVERYBODY on the planet killed. Should we say all Democrats are reckless nuclear brinksmanship honchos willing to bet the entire farm over a stupid island? Shall we ignore ol' Nikita's role in the affair as you do with Uncle Ho...ultimately the fellow responsible for starting the Viet-Nam war? You and I both know that would be silly. Nixon...in my view...while a nasty fellow and such...was actually a rather effective President. How is your (no-doubt) Chinese made computer doing this morning, anyways?

smile.png

The difference? They were the democratically elected Presidents of the people at the time. Not just some guy calling up another country and saying "Hey I don't care about American lives if it gets in the way of this election". That is a real difference you have hard choices to make in that office, you don't need someone out there trying to sink the nation because they think they deserve it more. I will criticize Presidents for their choices but I understand those choices are theirs and they are hard to make. Republicans shouldn't be out there trying to kill the country when the President is making those touch choices.

One party that believes in democracy the other one is for sinking it.

WWWTT

I guess you haven't been following the news huh? And still blaming Romney? Yep, whatever happened to that threat anyways? rolleyes.giflaugh.png

Obama Says Iran A Year Away From Nuclear Weapon

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/obama-says-iran-a-year-away-from-nuclear-weapon/