Using more than one handle on MLW

WWWTT

What I think after some reflection is that if other members of the same household want to join they should pre-emptively alert administrators to avoid a problem.

That's if it is a problem to begin with. The thread deals with one person using two accounts.

Edited by GostHacked

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

That's if it is a problem to begin with. The thread deals with one person using two accounts.

Right; and the question is, how do you know it's two people from the same household rather than one person registering two accounts? In other words, how do you tell the two situations apart? The thing is, someone could "pre-emptively alert administrators" pretending they are another family member when, in fact, it's the same person registering two accounts.

Right; and the question is, how do you know it's two people from the same household rather than one person registering two accounts?

We've seen it before where a person gets banned, comes back in and instantly called out. Posting style was the same as the alias the person used before. What if a person is using two accounts? Let's deal with that.

Two people using the same computer to post on a website, is not the same as one person deliberately using two accounts on the website.

In other words, how do you tell the two situations apart? The thing is, someone could "pre-emptively alert administrators" pretending they are another family member when, in fact, it's the same person registering two accounts.

For the most part posting styles don't change with a change of alias or using two aliases at the same time. We've seen it before.

Guest American Woman

We've seen it before where a person gets banned, comes back in and instantly called out. Posting style was the same as the alias the person used before. What if a person is using two accounts? Let's deal with that.

Two people using the same computer to post on a website, is not the same as one person deliberately using two accounts on the website.

Again. The issue that's been raised in response to that is - what if it's not the same person? How do you tell? What proof is there that it is the same person if multiple registrations from the same computer are allowed? Two people from the same family could have similar viewpoints and posting styles. I've seen people here from the same organization with the same viewpoints and posting styles. People accuse posters of being someone else and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. Again. If two registrations from the same computer are allowed, it would be impossible to police/enforce a 'one person-one registration' rule.

Guest American Woman

If it's not the same person, then no problem. If it IS the same person , then we have a problem. What exactly is the failure to understanding this?

O.M.G.

How do you know if it's the same person or not? There's no way to tell.

THAT'S the problem.

For the most part posting styles don't change with a change of alias or using two aliases at the same time. We've seen it before.

Right; and the question is, how do you know it's two people from the same household rather than one person registering two accounts? In other words, how do you tell the two situations apart? The thing is, someone could "pre-emptively alert administrators" pretending they are another family member when, in fact, it's the same person registering two accounts.

To answer AW, writing style.

Guest American Woman

To answer AW, writing style.

As I already said, two people from the same family could have similar viewpoints and posting styles. I've seen people here from the same organization with the same viewpoints and posting styles. People accuse posters of being someone else and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.

Are we really arguing about the grave injustice of someone getting IP banned from MLW and their spouse, kid, or roommate not being able to post as a result? In the almost 9 years that I've been posting here this has never happened as far as I know. Besides, there are many different methods at the administrators disposal for banning accounts. It doesn't necessarily have to be an IP ban, which is why creating new accounts when you're banned is against the rules. Everyone knows that there are ways around banning methods. For the scarce few that not only get banned, but would then continue to try to make new accounts despite this and further have a roommate, spouse, or whoever else lives in their house posting here, well sucks to be them. The idiot they live with was IP banned and you're posting from the same IP. There's nothing that can be done about it.

Are we really arguing about the grave injustice of someone getting IP banned from MLW and their spouse, kid, or roommate not being able to post as a result?

Those are dire issues.

Do you enjoy making fun of people with physical or mental problems?

Wait a minute....I don't think he is making fun of them. It is a difficult issue for some, and perhaps we tend to feel uncomfortable about the issue since perhaps....we actually feel uncomfortable seeing the reality of the people involved. As you've pointed out by equating them with carnival sideshows, the issue is not with them.....but with you.

I've never seen a con-joined twin (grown-up) like this photo showed. So to read further about the life of these two women is quite enlightening.

Edited by betsy

• 1 year later...

This is exactly what has been happening to me since I got here. many people accusing me of being Merlin(Cybercoma) and Mr.Canada(everyone else).

I think that even publicly accusing someone of this should be against the rules. It's a shame that people feel the need to prop themselves up by pushing others down.

It's really sad. I am a disabled person, I have enough to deal with on this Earth without the constant torment of my pears. It's really sad...please mods can we please do something about the accusers. they are ruining my reputationwithout representation. Am I able to sue someone for this?

Sure. If I can prove I have lost money from you saying what you've said then I can sue you. I would go to the police make a complaint, they would get a warrant and get the ip addresses for those people who have caused me hardship. It isn't hard to do. It's been done before, many times.

Especially nowadays with cyber bullying. The yhave a very short tolerance for this type of bullying behaviour.

Edited by Scared.In.Canada

Sure. If I can prove I have lost money from you saying what you've said then I can sue you. I would go to the police make a complaint, they would get a warrant and get the ip addresses for those people who have caused me hardship. It isn't hard to do. It's been done before, many times.

Especially nowadays with cyber bullying. The yhave a very short tolerance for this type of bullying behaviour.

You have to prove that the accused parties don't actually believe you're someone else and you would also have to prove that mistaken identity amounts to bullying.

With the offence you're taking, if Merlin was actually someone else (and he's not), he would have a case against you for defamation and cyber bullying because you're associating his name with an irrational amount of vitriol. Your reaction has been an offence to Merlin moreso than people thinking you're Merlin is an offence to you.

Ask FreeDominion, which really got railroaded on this.