Canadians Officially Study Higher Prices

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah like a book on an Ereader. All those labour costs to get the product to Canada......Wait a minute??? Come on Shady for once just once in your life use your brain.

Yeah, like that's what the study is centred on, ereader books. Come'on man.

And?

Funny..."I had a problem" ? No , sorry but you havent got the ability to see that a statistical minor variance is considered non-existant. Kind of like that snow . laugh.png

But the snow was not/is not a minor statistical variance. You posted a comparison based on a flawed understanding of U.S. geography. Not a big sin...how would you know from Canada ?

If you post shite and ascribe the same shite to an article , it best match.

You're just in denial...pay the higher prices and enjoy the social welfare state without complaint.

In this case, your post did not match at all, save for a little bit.

Whatever you say....that would explain the call for lower import taxes, tariffs, and fees.

Like I said, qu'elle surprise. What is funny is your mocking about Canucks obsesed with Americans has in fact turned out that one person alone is obsessed with Canada and thats pretty funny.

Thank you...that is my purpose here. It is "virtually" identical to what you have done your entire life. Now what did you watch from America today ?

I am pointing out that Labour costs DON'T FACTOR INTO THAT PURCHASE AT ALL! Yet books on an eread are 30% more in Canada. So your theory is pretty crappy.

But labour costs DO effect many other goods. As do taxes, tariffs, fuel, etc. it's like BC said. Pay the higher costs and enjoy the social welfare state, because it has to be paid for somehow.

But labour costs DO effect many other goods. As do taxes, tariffs, fuel, etc. it's like BC said. Pay the higher costs and enjoy the social welfare state, because it has to be paid for somehow.

So we agree there are many things we can look at ebooks, video games, etc. That have higher prices do to price fixing and that is probably something that should be addressed?

I can understand that shipping, labour, taxes, healthcare etc. add to prices. Thats fine I happily pay a little more to live in the best country in the world. However where there is clear price fixing that is a real problem and because that is happening there it is probably happening other places to.

Edited by punked

....I can understand that shipping, labour, taxes, healthcare etc. add to prices. Thats fine I happily pay a little more to live in the best country in the world. However where there is clear price fixing that is a real problem and because that is happening there it is probably happening other places to.

No...I don't think you understand. The "price fixing" is part of Canada (best country in the world). In other words, you should celebrate the price fixing as a badge of social liberalism that supports the welfare state. Comparisons to another country are not valid...not for milk and not for autos. That new car smell just costs more in Canada...does it smell any better ?

I've listened to these senate committee meeting on this topic and everyone appearing had an answer to why and when it was all over the only thing that came out of it was, nothing was going to change unless, we become one big country and had the same legal tender. Then who would BC debate about the differences of the two countries?

I've listened to these senate committee meeting on this topic and everyone appearing had an answer to why and when it was all over the only thing that came out of it was, nothing was going to change unless, we become one big country and had the same legal tender. Then who would BC debate about the differences of the two countries?

That's not going to happen, and even if it did, remember that Canada has only the population of California, with less GDP.

Does it just irk some Canadians that stuff costs less...sometimes a lot less in the U.S. ? Don't forget that you have "free" healthcare (waitlisted).

Guest Derek L

Well it's a given that some Canadians are drawn to lower prices in the U.S., but it remains to be seen if a big box retailer like Target will give up the higher margins available in Canada. I shop at a Super Target at least twice a week (only 3 blocks away), and their 5% off "Red Card" pays most of the sales tax.

She's already got her "Red Card" and the new store(s) haven't even opened here yet.........rolleyes.gif

Well, the Senate Big Report (of the obvious) is out and it looks like Canada has mostly screwed itself on purpose with:

• Taxes
  • Surcharges
  • Tariffs
  • Fees

Not really, it has to do with supply and demand. Equilibrium prices were set during times when our dollar's purchasing power was less than it is now. Things changed but retailers are not going to just lower prices out of the niceness of their hearts.

This is where demand comes in. When $1US was worth a $1.50C, nobody would drive 2 hours, risk lying to the border patrol just to come home with a new toaster oven. Now with the dollar at par more and more people are cross-border shopping.

Lower demand = lower equilibrium price but it doesn't happen overnight. If the currency levels stay the same, more people shop in the US, the prices come down.

It's basic economics dashed with a sprinkle of corporate greed, but I'm sorry, our taxes have nothing to do with it. As it's been pointed out, our tax-rates are pretty comparable if not better.

You do. The corporate tax rate is lower, but many businesses pay under the top marginal rate. Additionally, some provinces have higher provincial taxes. Additionally, the 5% GST adds to the cost of most goods and services, at each step along the process of production. So your weak, short, simpleton response is moot.

That bolded part right there shows how little you know on this topic. Seriously, Shady. I'd be embarrassed if I were you.

Yeah the import tariffs aren't the issue. Neither are the taxes, which are in many cases lower in Canada. Neither are the costs of employing people, as US employers bare huge direct healthcare costs that Canadian employers do not. Even goods made in Canada (not subject to any import tariffs in Canada obviously) can be found as much as 30% cheaper in the US.

The real issue is that Canadians are suckers and will pay more to get less. How many Canadians buy their cars in the US where they can save $5,000 - $10,000 just for the cost of a little hassle? Not many. Until that changes, retailers will keep happily charging the prices they charge.

I wouldn't say we're suckers. Shopping across the border is risky and the daily limits are relatively low.

We can't boycott consumerism all together, we need stuff so we buy it. Sucker is a person who looks at the same item on the shelf and buys the exact substitute for double the price.

You're over-simplifying a very complex issue.

ETA - your example of cars is about the only exception and even that's not just a "bit of hassle". But I'm talking about everyday items.

Edited by BC_chick

I wouldn't say we're suckers. Shopping across the border is risky and the daily limits are relatively low.

You don't need to cross the border yourself. There are plentiful services you can use online to purchase goods online in the US who will then import said goods to your doorstep in Canada. And despite the shipping costs, middlemen profits, etc, you can still save substantial amounts.

From the senate report:

Retailers say they've been told it's because Canadians are used to paying more...

What more need be said?

I never disagreed that we're used to paying more. I just think that summing it up to being 'suckers' is a bit too simple for what is essentially a complex issue that entails the average consumer being resourceful about cross-border shopping and having a sound knowledge of economics and the currency market. You pay $5 for something and the price doesn't change, most people don't ask why.

As the more resourceful consumers ask the questions, others become more aware. Change happens slowly.

Edited by BC_chick

I never disagreed that we're used to paying more. I just think that summing it up to being 'suckers' is a bit too simple for what is essentially a complex issue that entails the average consumer being resourceful about cross-border shopping and having a sound knowledge of economics and the currency market. You pay $5 for something and the price doesn't change, most people don't ask why.

As the more resourceful consumers ask the questions, others become more aware. Change happens slowly.

Not really. This isn't the 17th century when it might take years for the news of a price change to travel the distance from coast to coast, as a rumor slowly carried around by fur traders in their canoes. This is 2013, and price imbalances are instantly obvious and apparent within seconds just by googling any given product. In most respects, response to new information happens instantly, on the same day that such information becomes available. The price of stocks, the price of gas, etc, all vary on a continuous basis, from microsecond to microsecond, on the basis of thousands of information sources all automatically working around the globe 24/7. And yet you think consumers simply haven't clued in to the fact that prices are out of whack because 3-5 years isn't a long enough time for the word to get around? Sorry, don't buy it. Canadians know full well they are paying more, and they continue to do so, willingly.

Yes, it's not the 17th century and people have access to information. That's exactly why more and more people are cross-border shopping.

And as you put it, you have to be resourceful online and/or willing to travel. So it's not just being a sucker. That's my point exactly.

....It's basic economics dashed with a sprinkle of corporate greed, but I'm sorry, our taxes have nothing to do with it. As it's been pointed out, our tax-rates are pretty comparable if not better.

They are not comparable for imports or at the retail level. For instance, petrol costs more in Canada because of higher taxes. BC has a carbon tax that may be revenue neutral, but not at the pump. Often when I ship something into Canada, the recipient asks me to declare a much lower value on the item in an attempt to beat fees and taxes. Higher income Canadians can't cross border shop enough to beat the double whammy of income taxes and higher prices.

You posted a comparison based on a flawed understanding of U.S. geography. Not a big sin...how would you know from Canada ?

LOL, it was a US geological company and or the US based weather source where that came from.

Tell them,

You're just in denial...pay the higher prices and enjoy the social welfare state without complaint.

We do pay more, not in dispute, but we can afford it.

The welfare state is in the US and you know it. How did those companies get bailed out down there? With lollipops?

Whatever you say....that would explain the call for lower import taxes, tariffs, and fees.

Of course there is a call for it,. but I was commenting on the fact that you post didnt match the attachment.

Thank you...that is my purpose here. It is "virtually" identical to what you have done your entire life. Now what did you watch from America today ?

Wouldnt expect you to know what I have done. I follow many nations news, healthy perspective instead of insular ignorance shown by many.

Not a damn thing.

LOL, it was a US geological company and or the US based weather source where that came from.

So which one was is it ? What is a "US geological company" ? Back pedaling.....

You made something up and it didn't work out.

We do pay more, not in dispute, but we can afford it.

Then why do some Canadians complain about it ? Why do they compare their consumer experience to that of another country ?

The welfare state is in the US and you know it. How did those companies get bailed out down there? With lollipops?

No dispute there....just who gets to pay for it. Canadians pay more and get less.

Of course there is a call for it,. but I was commenting on the fact that you post didnt match the attachment.

I guess you spell "tax" and "taxes" differently. That's OK.

Wouldnt expect you to know what I have done. I follow many nations news, healthy perspective instead of insular ignorance shown by many.

Not a damn thing.

But when I do the same thing I am "obsessed" with Canada ? Frankly, I don't care why Canadians pay more for stuff, but I know that they do, and some resent the idea that those 'Merkins get to pay less. This conflict and/or perceived "unfairness" is a rich vein to mine in a country that is "the best in the world". Some items aren't even available in Canada, at any price.

But when I do the same thing I am "obsessed" with Canada ?

You seem to be. Who started this thread?

Frankly, I don't care why Canadians pay more for stuff,

riiight....and start a thread about something you dont care about.

Ok....oh christ thats laughable.

You have become a parody of what you mock.