Rob Ford, mayor of Toronto UPDATES

WWWTT

Except his lawyer didn't say that. Which supports my opinion that this video should not be given the time of day since anything that's said will be twisted by some and can, and will be, used against him.

His lawyer said “I think unless one has expertise in crack cocaine smoking it is very difficult to gauge what a person is actually doing in an alleged video.”

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU are the one who does not understand what the expert is saying. If there were no such thing as a fake video that looks real, there would be no need for experts to determine if a video is authentic, would there? :rolleyes:

So show me one. If it's possible to make a video of a person in close quarters speaking things he never said and doing things he never did, there has to be one in the real world, right?

Guest American Woman

His lawyer said “I think unless one has expertise in crack cocaine smoking it is very difficult to gauge what a person is actually doing in an alleged video.”

Which is quite different from your quote attributed to his lawyer: "how do you know it's crack he's smoking?" Changing it to "he" is quite different from what the lawyer actually said - and he was just making a point about jumping to conclusions regarding what one sees on a video - which is why I say it's smart to keeps one's mouth shut, because what they say will be twisted and can, and will be, used against them.

Guest American Woman

So show me one. If it's possible to make a video of a person in close quarters speaking things he never said and doing things he never did, there has to be one in the real world, right?

You honestly think *I* have access to everything that exists in the world?? AGAIN. If it were not possible to have a fake, for whatever reason, that looks "real," especially when only viewed on an iPhone, there would be no need for experts; there would be no need to have experts determine whether a video is authentic or not.

You honestly think *I* have access to everything that exists in the world?? AGAIN. If it were not possible to have a fake, for whatever reason, that looks "real," especially when only viewed on an iPhone, there would be no need for experts; there would be no need to have experts determine whether a video is authentic or not.

Come on. You have all of youtube at your fingertips. If it can be done, it's been done. You're using very confused backwards logic by trying to say that if a verification process exists, there must be unlimited potential for fakery. So if it exists, show me.

there's the fact that his family have a long history of substance abuse and drug dealing.

In a radio interview I heard yesterday, Doug Ford vehemently and categorically denied ever dealing drugs. He admitted to smoking pot when he was young, but was a long time ago and does not condone using drugs.

If it would always be easy to determine if a video was fake, it would be easy to determine if it were authentic or not. And there would be no need for experts.

This is where your logic falls apart. It is difficult to prove any video is authentic, because the process essentially involves looking for mistakes the video-maker made while faking it. In an authentic video, there are no mistakes so it's a long process to cover every possibility of error. In a fake video, the errors are usually obvious. Very skilled video manipulators might make a great video that takes longer to prove it is fake, but there will likely still be a misplaced shadow or something.

But the fact that there are "experts" verifying videos doesn't mean there is unlimited technology to recreate anything and everything. I'm surprised you would even come to that conclusion.

Edited by BubberMiley

When the Toronto Sun comes out and says Ford has to go,the writing is on the wall.

I predict this is the end of the Ford Brothers political careers!

Rob is definitely gone!First and last term!Not even going back to council for this guy!

And enough shrapnel has hit Doug by now that the provincial pc will probably not let this guy come anywhere near a provincial candidate nomination meeting!

There's really no point in me posting anymore links about these two anymore.

What more can be said about them?

They will/have provide/d the Toronto/Ontario/Canadian/international media with far more than enough ammo to sink them several times over.

Really don't see the point in defending these two either?

When your strongest allies are getting fired for helping you and allies in the media are turning on you,then at this point,life back in the private sector has got to be running through your mind.

WWWTT

Guest American Woman

This is where your logic falls apart. It is difficult to prove any video is authentic, because the process essentially involves looking for mistakes the video-maker made while faking it. In an authentic video, there are no mistakes so it's a long process to cover every possibility of error.

My "logic" is right on. Yes, it would be difficult to prove that the video is authentic, which is why the three reporters are in no position to determine that it is authentic. It would be - AGAIN - "difficult to do." So. AGAIN. We do not know if the video is authentic.

In a fake video, the errors are usually obvious. Very skilled video manipulators might make a great video that takes longer to prove it is fake, but there will likely still be a misplaced shadow or something.

And perhaps, if this video were to be scrutinized, it would be found to be fake. Until then, we don't know. Just because it's not "obvious[ly]" a fake doesn't mean that it IS authentic.

But the fact that there are "experts" verifying videos doesn't mean there is unlimited technology to recreate anything and everything. I'm surprised you would even come to that conclusion.

The only "conclusion" that I've come to is a fact. No one, outside of those who presented the video, knows if it's authentic or not. For those three reporters who viewed it on an iPhone, according to an expert in the field, it would be "difficult" for them to know if it's authentic. EOS

If you still don't get it, you apparently are not able to comprehend that even an expert has said that "it would be difficult" for the reporters to determine if the video is authentic, meaning it could be a fake - or you are playing games. Either way, I won't be spending any more time on this with you.

Edited by American Woman

The only "conclusion" that I've come to is a fact. No one, outside of those who presented the video, knows if it's authentic or not. For those three reporters who viewed it on an iPhone, according to an expert in the field, it would be "difficult" for them to know if it's authentic. EOS

That's true. It's also a fact that no one has yet created a convincing video that is an unedited shot of a specific person doing something he didn't do and saying things he didn't say. So even though the evidence (i.e., the testimony of three individuals) wouldn't hold up in a court of law, it passes my and most other people's scratch test for what they think happened and what they think the video is. It may not pass your scratch test, and that's fine, but you are in the minority.

Public opinion isn't science or a court of law and nobody really forms their opinions based on such a standard. Public opinion does not require you to prove whether technology that doesn't exist still doesn't exist.

Edited by BubberMiley

Gawker has raised $175,000 towards the $200,000 that the Somali Drug Dealers are asking. All the Star has to do is chip in with the last $25,000. Why wouldn't they do that to help out their compatriot, Gawker? After all, the Star is claiming that their story has been written in the Public Interest....well, doesn't the public deserve the facts?

Edited by Keepitsimple

Guest American Woman

So who gets the money if the drug dealers never come through with the video?

As we mentioned when we launched the campaign, folks who are involved in the crack trade tend not to be the most reliable people in the world. This has proven to be the case when it comes to the owner of the video of Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine. We were initially made aware of the video by a tipster, who connected us with the owner of the video after we traveled to Toronto. We've been in relatively constant communication with the tipster since then. But he has told us that hasn't been able to make contact with the owner of the video in recent days. http://gawker.com/rob-ford-crackstarter-update-509596078

I'm shocked! :o

Does'nt TO hav the fastest growing economy in the world. The city is doing better now than it did. I would have love to see the star go after the last mayor like this witch hunt against ford, I can just imagine the dirt they would have found.

Of course this is a witch-hunt. The lefties are acting and sounding like a pack of hyenas. The Starr, the Mop and Pail, et al, have gone way too far in their cruel, unnecessary and uncivilized attack on this man. Let him alone and let him do his job. Or, are they afraid he'll do a great job and make all their buddies look bad?

Gawker has raised $175,000 towards the $200,000 that the Somali Drug Dealers are asking. All the Star has to do is chip in with the last $25,000. Why wouldn't they do that to help out their compatriot, Gawker? After all, the Star is claiming that their story has been written in the Public Interest....well, doesn't the public deserve the facts?

I really don't think the Starr is interested in facts. They want a lynching; the evidence is not a consideration.

I think this G&M story about Doug Ford is making the hard-on people have for the Ford's self evident. A front page feature and not a single person was willing to go on record? WTF?!?

Rob should have come out as strongly as Doug was this weekend calling people maggots and such and perhaps this story wouldn't have grown like it has.

I hear now that this video could have been the cause of a murder. Also one of the the guys in the widely seen picture with Ford in a sweatshirt with his arms some alleged drug dealers got murdered recently.

When will the story come out alleging the Fords put out a hit on the guys that have the video?

I'm on record as saying Polls are a big load of crap but had Ford seen a major drop in popularity I'm sure people would have pounced on this story as evidence people are tired of Ford.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/27/mayor_rob_fords_popularity_unaffected_by_drug_allegations_and_denials_poll_finds.html

A new poll of nearly 1,400 Torontonians shows that a week filled with drug allegations and vehement denials hasn’t changed Mayor Rob Ford’s election prospects — he’d still lose to Olivia Chow.

In a one-on-one match-up between NDP MP Olivia Chow and the mayor, Chow wins with more than half the vote, 56 per cent, to about a third for the mayor (36 per cent), according to a poll released Sunday by Forum Research Inc.

That result is nearly unchanged from the result of a poll conducted May 10.

In a three-way contest between the mayor, Chow, and radio host John Tory, Chow wins with 42 per cent of the vote to about 27 per cent for Ford and 24 per cent for Tory.

It's also interesting that the Poll does a 3-way race with Chow and Tory. When has John Tory ever said he'd run for mayor? In fact the only reason Ford ran in 2010 was because Tory said he wouldn't. It's a complete vote split.

Let's see a poll where Ford goes up against Adam Vaughan and Olivia Chow and what the results are.

Edited by Boges

Guest American Woman

I think this G&M story about Doug Ford is making the hard-on people have for the Ford's self evident. A front page feature and not a single person was willing to go on record? WTF?!?

Rob should have come out as strongly as Doug was this weekend calling people maggots and such and perhaps this story wouldn't have grown like it has.

I hear now that this video could have been the cause of a murder. Also one of the the guys in the widely seen picture with Ford in a sweatshirt with his arms some alleged drug dealers got murdered recently.

When will the story come out alleging the Fords put out a hit on the guys that have the video?

Well. Rob Ford did call the media "maggots."

Re: the video possibly having a connection to a murder - do you have a link? - That's quite interesting. As for who could be responsible if true - seems to me anyone connected criminally to the drug dealer(s) would have reason to want to quiet those who are putting themselves out there this way - for their own protection.

It wasn't up when I posted.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/27/homicide-detectives-interview-rob-ford-staffer-after-tip-on-whereabouts-of-drug-video-from-mayors-office/

New reports today claim that a staffer within Rob Ford’s office knew the whereabouts of an alleged video that reportedly shows the Toronto mayor smoking crack cocaine, potentially contradicting Ford’s own statements that the video “does not exist.”

Toronto homicide detectives confirmed Monday they have interviewed a member of Ford’s staff after they reportedly received a tip from the mayor’s office in relation to the whereabouts of the video.

A photo allegedly taken from the video that was given to the Toronto Star and U.S.-website Gawker appears to show Ford with Anthony Smith, a 21-year-old who was gunned down in a “targeted” murder earlier this year outside a Toronto nightclub.

Ford fired his chief of staff, Mark Towhey, last week after sources said the pair had a falling out after Towhey asked the mayor to seek rehab. On his radio show Sunday, Ford said he didn’t discuss personnel issues but did deny the firing was related to football issues.

Staff Inspector Greg McLane, the head of the Toronto police homicide division, told CP24 that the investigation was not related to a homicide but his officers conducted the interview because they have expertise other police officers may not.

I'm sure Ford is telling the truth when he says the video "does not exist." The guy who had it probably doesn't exist anymore either.

Are you saying, you think, Ford got him killed? Or did the fact that he tried to extort Toronto's media make him an obvious target.

Are you saying, you think, Ford got him killed? Or did the fact that he tried to extort Toronto's media make him an obvious target.

How am I supposed to know? I just know my spidey sense was tingling when they said that guy was shot dead.