Why do people hate Harper?

Argus

I took it to be one and an apt reflection of reality given it was said in the context of Harper's more egregious treatment of Parliament, democracy and transparency.

You mean he treats them all the same way Trudeau and Chretien did?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support him most of the time. I have no great affection for the man, but I do respect him. He's done a fairly good job of steering us through difficult waters, and if he isn't all I would wish for, well, he's better than anyone else who's been offered up in the last twenty five years. I don't agree with some of his positions or some of his policies, but unless I do the job myself that is inevitable, no matter who is in charge. I think he does his best in the only way he knows how, which is a micromanaging, control-freak sort of way. And it usually seems to work.

Couldn't have put it better myself. No politician lives up to all of one's expectations, but Harper is doing a good job right now.

I can't imagine any of the other contenders coming close.

I notice you don't mention Paul Martin.

Is that because Harper's riding on Martin's economic coattails? laugh.png

He's done nothing himself except rack up huge debt!

Martin wasn't PM for long enough for me to consider him. However, he was known as a volatile, unforgiving man with a furious temper, a control-freak, if indecisive, and secretive. So I fail to see how this differs much from the complaints cast at Harper other than the fact Harper, at least, can make a decision.

Your complaint about debt is pointless and stupid given the different economic times the two men were involved in.

Edited by Argus

Yeah,like when people rain on your parade LOL

You really need to get serious, surely you can come up with something better than 'dear leader' <roll eyes>

I came up with sphincter. It was my friend the conservative who came up with dear leader and he didn't seem to disagreeable with sphincter as I recall.

Edited by eyeball

Gotcha... so you dont know what the word minority means. Ok.

Yep and if the opposition really wanted to form a coalition they could have done so after the prorogation. You can't criticize prorogation, which is a tool the PM has every right to use, and at the same time defend the opposition's right to form a coalition a month after an election where the idea wasn't even mentioned once.

I also view him as a coward as he won't give his honest opinion on social and health policies.

I have a feeling you would not place much value on his opinion, honest or otherwise, so I'm not sure what the relevance of this is as far as you're concerned.

The much revered "founder of medicare" and CBC's proclaimed "greatest Canadian of all time", Tommy Douglas had some pretty strong opinions about homosexuality and what should be done with chronic criminals. I guess opinions are subjective...

Edited by Spiderfish