F-35 Purchase Cancelled; CF-18 replacement process begins

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the US could have purchased a home for every homeless person in the country for the cost of the F-35 project. Damn! http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/07/09/3458101/f35-boondoggle-fail/

Hell they could have opted for a competitor (like say the Superhornet) had an airplane you could actually fly across the ocean to an airshow, and still helped out the homeless. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Hell they could have opted for a competitor (like say the Superhornet) had an airplane you could actually fly across the ocean to an airshow, and still helped out the homeless. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Sure, let's spend a whole bunch of money on soon to be dated plane that will need replacing within a decade.

I suppose the Chinese are having a bit of a giggle. They've already cracked the "stealth" code apparently.

The "stealth" code?!?

Suffice it to say the Chinese are still probably about 15-20 years behind the US in their weapon designs, at least to any reasonable scale.

None of those questions offer any relevant information to the argument at hand. If there are items not included in the Australian purchase, then the purchase price is understated, which doesn't help your case at all. Logic.

You bring up the differing costs, but do not feel questions on why there are differing prices relevant? :wacko::wacko:

Are you suggesting that Australia has the same financial stake as the Americans?

Sure. The Australian purchase of two test planes is completely useless for the discussion. Agreed. Let's go back to the American numbers then.

Australian "test planes" useless.............American "test planes" benchmark...........What level partner are both nations? What level is Canada? Would you think tier III prices the most relevant to Canada?

Lockheed and the DoD can't do anything but say that. They are depending on volume to keep costs down, and if they indicate now that their projected costs are going to be higher than planned, they risk potential buyers going with a competitor before the F-35 is even available. There is no reason, whatsoever, for either party to be honest if their cost estimates are fabricated. If they're proven wrong later, they can just say "well it's because this plane is so much better than its competition". Canada and Japan etc will still be on the market for a new fighter, and won't already be flying something else.

So again you’re going on assumptions……and that’s fine………I’ll go with the MSRP until proven wrong….

For an engineer, your perceptions on the actual effectiveness of economies of scale and production learning curve are rather fanciful, particularly since this is a labour-intensive fighter plane we're talking about, and not a Playstation 3. The idea that an F-35 will be cheaper than the Super Hornet is completely ludicrous, as those are numbers that nobody (even LM as far as I'm aware) is projecting. That, right there, pretty much summarizes your delusional bias in this thread. The magical twists and leaps your mind had to make to come up with the reasoning that brings a plane currently pegged at $120-130M per unit down to $60M is tragic.

What will a combat capable (with targeting pods and ECM etc?) Super Hornet cost, ~5 years from now when adjusted for inflation? What would a legacy Hornet cost today when adjusted for inflation?

You bring up the differing costs, but do not feel questions on why there are differing prices relevant? :wacko::wacko:

If there are items missing on the Australian purchase that are included in the American purchases, then the Australian purchase price is effectively understated in comparison. If so, this provides absolutely no useful data for you to support your low-ball F-35 production costs, nevermind the fact that the purchase was only for two freaking planes.

Are you suggesting that Australia has the same financial stake as the Americans?

No, and you know I'm not suggesting that. I'm suggesting that since the Americans DO have the biggest financial stake, they're certain to get the best deal on the plane. Knowing this, when you see the Australian purchase coming in at a lower price than current American purchases, you can be almost certain that either they got a steep discount for testing/training purposes or that their purchase contract was missing items the American one had. Either way, it's useless information for our debate other than it gives a pretty clear indication Australia is going to purchase the plane.

So again you’re going on assumptions……and that’s fine………I’ll go with the MSRP until proven wrong….

Yes, my assumption is based on the numbers we're seeing now, and based on the painful history of Lockheed Martin not meeting its targets and commitments. You, on the other hand, are basing your assumptions on nothing but the promises and commitments of the people who keep failing to fulfill their promises and commitments. Brilliant.

What will a combat capable (with targeting pods and ECM etc?) Super Hornet cost, ~5 years from now when adjusted for inflation? What would a legacy Hornet cost today when adjusted for inflation?

Inflation? That's another big fat red herring. Aside from the fact that inflation has been at best lethargic since the mid 90's, it will have an equal effect on the F-35. Also, why are you bringing the legacy F-18 into this? It's out of production. As for targetting pods, we know Australia spent about $100M six years ago to outfit ~70 planes, so unless ECM systems on the F-18E cost roughly $30-35M per unit (which they don't), the F-35 still comes out way more expensive, best case scenario. It's a much cheaper plane, because it's not nearly as effective or sophisticated. Saying the F-35 is going to end up cheaper than it on a per-unit basis is just sad.

Edited by Moonbox

If there are items missing on the Australian purchase that are included in the American purchases, then the Australian purchase price is effectively understated in comparison. If so, this provides absolutely no useful data for you to support your low-ball F-35 production costs, nevermind the fact that the purchase was only for two freaking planes.

No, and you know I'm not suggesting that. I'm suggesting that since the Americans DO have the biggest financial stake, they're certain to get the best deal on the plane. Knowing this, when you see the Australian purchase coming in at a lower price than current American purchases, you can be almost certain that either they got a steep discount for testing/training purposes or that their purchase contract was missing items the American one had. Either way, it's useless information for our debate other than it gives a pretty clear indication Australia is going to purchase the plane.

What tier level in the program are the United States, Australia and Canada?

Yes, my assumption is based on the numbers we're seeing now, and based on the painful history of Lockheed Martin not meeting its targets and commitments. You, on the other hand, are basing your assumptions on nothing but the promises and commitments of the people who keep failing to fulfill their promises and commitments. Brilliant.

An assumption based on figures provided by the maker, the United States government and budgeted around the partner nations………your assumption was based on what again? Bloggers?

Inflation? That's another big fat red herring. Aside from the fact that inflation has been at best lethargic since the mid 90's, it will have an equal effect on the F-35. Also, why are you bringing the legacy F-18 into this? It's out of production. As for targetting pods, we know Australia spent about $100M six years ago to outfit ~70 planes, so unless ECM systems on the F-18E cost roughly $30-35M per unit (which they don't), the F-35 still comes out way more expensive, best case scenario. It's a much cheaper plane, because it's not nearly as effective or sophisticated. Saying the F-35 is going to end up cheaper than it on a per-unit basis is just sad.

You're suggesting inflation has no impact on defence programs? :lol:

That's just ignorant.....And the RAAF, like RCAF, doesn't have one for one targeting or ECM pods, fore they're far too expensive...of course the F-35 will have more advanced systems integral to each aircraft.....What exactly do you think the Super Hornet, combat capable, actually costs per aircraft?

I'll leave the floor to you and OGFT to parrot wikipedia to each other ;)

Apparently you don't read well at all. Oh well, your problem.

What RCAF squadron(s) deployed to Korea, with Sabres (or Vampires, Canucks etc) and engaged in combat operations? Clearly it is you with issues with reading......... :lol:

Edited by Derek 2.0