Well Hudak's got my vote

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important question raised by this thread: why do people drink Keith's?

I drink John Adams. I live near the border too. The LCBO doesn't carry the wine anymore thatI bought off them for 20 years. Niagara Falls USA does at a lower price.

Edited by Peeves

http://www.businessw...y-americas-beer

Important articles about now InBev and Molson Coors are making a mockery out of craftmanship and people are buying it up.

Good stuff! A good read,expose` The con job on beer sucks. I find some beers like love in a canoe...(old ask!)

For a number-crunching manager like Brito, an old, family-run company like Anheuser-Busch provided plenty of opportunities for cuts. He laid off approximately 1,400 people, about 6 percent of the U.S. workforce. He sold $9.4 billion in assets, including Busch Gardens and SeaWorld. AB InBev also tried to save money on materials. It used smaller labels and thinner glass for its bottles. It tried weaker cardboard for its 12-packs and cases. The old Anheuser-Busch insisted on using whole grains of rice in its beer. AB InBev was fine with the broken kind. “Our purchasing of rice has to do with how fresh the rice is, not whether it is whole or broken,” says Vallis.

The company played hardball with vendors. Anheuser-Busch has long boasted that “beechwood aging” enhanced Budweiser’s flavor. One of its two suppliers was Tom Urani, owner of Beechwood Corp. in Millington, Tenn. “In November 2008, we were featured in a nationwide ad,” Urani recalls. “It showed an aerial shot of our factory and said Anheuser-Busch is all about people, places, and quality.”

After the merger, AB InBev informed Urani that it would use only one beechwood provider. Urani was the losing bidder. He says this was the end of Beechwood Corp. Who else bought large amounts of beechwood chips but the makers of Budweiser? Urani threw a party on the final day. He invited Brito, who didn’t show up. That day, Urani drank his last Budweiser for the television cameras. “I’ve now become a bourbon guy,” he says. “I’ve lost weight.” AB InBev says it appreciates Urani’s years of service.

Brito was just as ruthless when it came to the perks to which Anheuser-Busch employees had grown accustomed. He cut the number of BlackBerrys in half. Executives who once traveled in corporate jets now flew commercial. He removed the interior walls at One Busch Place in St. Louis and turned the office into an open-plan space. Everyone would work under the same Spartan conditions that Brito embraced. (In New York, Brito shares a large table with his head of sales and his finance chief.) “We always say the leaner the business, the more money we will have at the end of the year to share,” he said in a speech at Stanford in 2008. “I don’t have a company car. I don’t care. I can buy my own car. I don’t need the company to give me beer. I can buy my own beer.”

How would youhzdvs Red Bottoms,,

put in the afternoon from the beach resort? Choose mountain-climbing, kayaking, end scubadivng, or maybe are lying bring down in the lake. Some of these pass¡§|, mainly because theplwvo Red Bottom Shoes,

second component and also united states water activity area can be paddleioavs Cheap NBA Shoes,

boarding. Perservere exercise getting on and even SUP is a popular latest online game who wgbue Red Bottoms,,

includes due to being on all of the waves enter to successfully move on top. Had become the hobby has its own root beginnings for Native contemporary society, it really is accomplishing worldwide recognition along with folks around the globe as well as one particulazayds Basketball Shoes,

typical process inside the seashores involved with Thailand. You can exercise within the coast,soihy Red Sole Shoes,

this woodlands, backvhxcp Cheap Louboutins,

yard, combined with mangrove bsarc Red Bottoms,,

reforested land. You have to pursuitnqblf NBA Shoes,

is effortless at the same time. Anything you?¡¥ve reached complete is to locate paddle get on, aywil Red Bottoms,,

some sort of exercise, Pdf document, together with right garment.

Finally a post with which I can completely agree! Not often are we blessed with a post by a professional political speech writer.

He had it before but hopefully his ideas about treating Ontarians like adults will further separate him from the proliferation of nannystatism we saw from Daddy Dalton.

http://www.thestar.c...-tim-hudak-says

The LCBO sucks and blows at the same time. It's either about Social Responsibility or Revenue. If you want to control the price people pay for alcohol that's fine, but it doesn't mean other retailers can't sell it. Convenience stores can sell Tobacco. A product that has to have gross pictures on the packaging. At the same time as preaching social responsibility the LBCO advertises constantly making their product seem glamourous and appealing. You walk in and you get people promoting products and giving free samples.

So I call BS on trying to minimize alcoholism. It's all about more revenue, not social responsibility.

The LBCO sucks and blows? At least you get to buy whatever you want ,because they carry most of everything. Once the corner stores take over they will carry what moves fast. The selection will suck and blow. And personally I am against it.

The LBCO sucks and blows? At least you get to buy whatever you want ,because they carry most of everything. Once the corner stores take over they will carry what moves fast. The selection will suck and blow. And personally I am against it.

When I say Suck and Blow I mean that they Advertise their asses off, while having a price structure that's supposed to promote "social responsibility" They're effin' hypocrites!Like most things at convenience stores you get things at a premium because there's a chance there's one within 50 meters from your house unless you live in buttbleep nowhere. So maybe they'll have a limited variety but they'll be open 24/7 and you can probably find it a lot easier.

Many grocery stores already have these wine rack stores that are privately owned. They have a limited supply of only Ontario wines but they're convenient because you can buy a bottle after you buy groceries. How would it be any different if they offered beer and were opened longer hours? Is that so bad?

Edited by Boges

I've been to deps in Montreal that have beer selections that put the Summerhill LCBO to shame. Craft beers for miles. But that's probably not the norm.

In the past , I've voted all three parties in Ontario and the Libs and the PC's have governed this province more than the NDP. Some don't like the Libs, most don't like Hudak and so that leaves the NDP. I'm more than willing to vote for NDP because one, she is a woman and I like some of the things she has said about creating jobs, which is going to be a tough job for any Premier of this province. The PC should never had elected Hudak back into power, it just reminds voters of the Harris era. In my view, it doesn't really matter who get the leadership of the Libs because I think most of the voters have turned them off for now.

Just listening to this issue being discussed on the Radio. Apparently in Alberta, the private operators still have to buy from the province so it isn't a surprise that prices aren't as low. But they don't require the profit margin a top-heavy organization like the LCBO does.

This article from the Star says that you can still get good deals in Alberta.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1297725--private-alcohol-sales-western-provinces-well-seasoned-in-private-alcohol-sales

“If you shop around you’re always going to get a better deal in a private system,” said Don McConkey, managing director of Co-op Wines and Spirits in Alberta. He noted they sell a 750ml bottle of Crown Royal for $30.29 regularly, but for $23.99 when it’s on sale. In comparison, the LCBO regular price for the same bottle is $27.95.

Just listening to this issue being discussed on the Radio. Apparently in Alberta, the private operators still have to buy from the province so it isn't a surprise that prices aren't as low. But they don't require the profit margin a top-heavy organization like the LCBO does.

This article from the Star says that you can still get good deals in Alberta.

http://www.thestar.c...e-alcohol-sales

But the average price is higher. And this reinforces what I said earlier about revenues. If you're irked about deficits, cutting a significant source of government revenues isn't going to help.

But the average price is higher. And this reinforces what I said earlier about revenues. If you're irked about deficits, cutting a significant source of government revenues isn't going to help.

I suspect the LCBO is run very badly. I'd imagine the government could expect more profits. There was a story where it was found out the LCBO actually told suppliers to charge them more, instead of benefitting from wholesale prices. It's like any government organization with top-heavy management with no need to change because it's the only game in town.

Edited by Boges

I've been to deps in Montreal that have beer selections that put the Summerhill LCBO to shame. Craft beers for miles. But that's probably not the norm.

My small town just built a new LBCO and it is huge. And one thing is for sure the LCBO has no problem with telling someoone that they have had enough and deny them. A small business owner is not going to be as tough,IMO when it comes to turning down a sale. And I have seen enough of the small quebec stores with thier patrons sitting out front ,that I don't want that here. But changes are needed in how it is run.

I suspect the LCBO is run very badly. I'd imagine the government could expect more profits. There was a story where it was found out the LCBO actually told suppliers to charge them more, instead of benefitting from wholesale prices. It's like any government organization with top-heavy management with no need to change because it's the only game in town.

You're not wrong.

We have a double digit billion dollar deficit. I think some Harris era ideas are required and not the spending craze of the McGuinty era when they never said no to any union for anything until September of this year.

HEAR! HEAR! Harris said what he'd do and did what he said.

I didn't live here at the time, but did he actually tell people he was going to drive the province into the ground?

As opposed to how our current Premiere has really driven the Province into the ground. I don't consider making the public service very unhappy driving the Province into the ground though. We can see from the Teacher's temper tantrum how hard public servants are to please unless you give them everything they want.

As opposed to how our current Premiere has really driven the Province into the ground.

Not gonna defend McGuinty, but Harris set the table. Unless you're one of those people who thinks numbers on some spreadsheet matter more than your actual quality of life.

I don't consider making the public service very unhappy driving the Province into the ground though

I consider gutting services to be part of that.

We can see from the Teacher's temper tantrum how hard public servants are to please unless you give them everything they want.

You should be happy with the ham-fisted way McGuinty has dealt with them, then.

You should be happy with the ham-fisted way McGuinty has dealt with them, then.

Yes, yes I am. I wasn't politically engaged enough to form a fully informed opinion on the Harris government (I was a student much of the time). But I can form a fully informed opinion on the colossal failure the McGuinty government is.