Conservative economics are failing us

From The Econoimst

"Canada's economy: Hey, small spender. With the government and consumers exhausted, officials are begging firms to pick up the slack."

http://www.economist.com/node/21564219

It's just impossible to keep some of the people happy even SOME of the time. Canada's doing as good or better than all other Western countries - and we never really felt a hard-hitting recession like everyone else. And STILL - we have companies sitting on billions of dollars just waiting to start spending. Our government has held back the waters long enough for a recovery to take hold.....just wait, when companies start to spend in the next 6 months...Canada will zoom ahead of the others. We are in a great place relative to everyone else.

Conservative Economics are succeeding.

Edited by Keepitsimple

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that is what I am seeing Conservatives on this forum saying. I see them saying "So what I got mine, I have a job, I have a house...etc....I never want to give the the next generation the chances I had because well FREEEEEE MAAAARRRRKKKKEEETTTSSS!!!" It is crazy.

And these same conservatives blamed the previous "liberal" generation for their "right to entitlement"

WWWTT

It's just impossible to keep some of the people happy even SOME of the time. Canada's doing as good or better than all other Western countries - and we never really felt a hard-hitting recession like everyone else.

When you say all "other western nations" you are omitting,Germany,Switzerland,Norway,Japan,South Korea,Israel,Netherlands,Austria and about another half of a dozen.

WWWTT

Corporate tax revenues higher despite lower rate

Corporate tax revenues coming in to Ottawa were up slightly last year, even as the Conservative government was in the midst of an aggressive plan to lower the corporate tax rate.

The federal government raised $31.7-billion from corporate taxes in the fiscal year that ended March 31, up from $30.5-billion in 2010-11.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/corporate-tax-revenues-higher-despite-lower-rate/article4597437/?service=mobile

So what i learned from this thread is that Canada is doing fairly well and it is all bad because we aren't doing well in the way some people think we should be. Is it, get a skill, get a job vs hold your hand out until the NDP gets elected? I dont see a lot of bread lines or terrible poverty in my city, i can't say that there aren't problems in the system, but then i don't pretend to have all of the answers either. There is job for almost anyone in this country who wants one, a lot of them pay well too, now you might have to accept working along side the corporate environemnt killers in Alberta, but I would say its better than waiting for the government to invent you a social justice job that should never have existed, ever.

Lost generation? Unemployment isn't particularly high, and the economy isn't particularly bad. What is it you're complaining about anyway? What do you want them to do?

They must be Liberals because they're looking for miracles. Trudeau can't do it for a LPC come-back and Harper can't do it for the economies of the EU and the United States. Europe and the US have to do for themselves; highly unlikely given their lousy leadership.

Aq, we are doing better than all of them. Please, educate yourself on finance and global trade. The japanese are crippled with and inflated yen and the GOVERNMENT is forcing mergers between private companies to save the country.

Please, do yourself a favor and look at JDI... The silent merger between Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony display... Sickening but you wouldn't know anything about that would you now..

Israel? Netherlands? You have got to be joking.... Pick up a calculator or a financial advisor. You will need it..

When you say all "other western nations" you are omitting,Germany,Switzerland,Norway,Japan,South Korea,Israel,Netherlands,Austria and about another half of a dozen.

WWWTT

That is what your Ron Paul people said in about 2011 and 2012. I get it you think the world is ending but how many times are you going to push your predications down the road until you come the conclusion the rest of us have? You are dead wrong.

I dont think the "world is ending" I think Canadians have too much debt and not enought savings due to years of monetary easing and unsustainably low interest rates, and I think we have one of the most overvalued realestate markets in the world. And its easy for anyone with any common sense to see why this is almost certain to cause at least an economic slowdown (like we see signs of right now) or a recession.

Im not sure what your argument even is here. Do you deny that keeping rates to low eventually causes reduced consumption? Its a pretty simple and uncontraversial concept.

I assume that by "conservative economics" you mean a tighter fiscal and monetary policy, and from that, "liberal economics" would be a looser fiscal and monetary policy.

Or are you saying that business is being more conservative economically which has more to do with the market's perception of the economy's health and future.

If you mean a tighter fiscal policy then that is what it is, not necessarily "conservative economics" because depending upon the economy and the circumstances a liberal government will implement a tighter fiscal policy the same as a conservative government would.

What is failing us is "Keynesian" economics in this instance.

If you mean business itself is being conservative..well, it's their prerogative to act economically however they feel will improve their chances of existence in the market...whether they should save or invest is related to timing, market signals.....and, increasingly, trying to figure out what the government will do next.

I suppose what you are really trying to say is that Harper's conservative government is failing us economically. He is actually acting quite liberal in his fiscal policies. If he wanted to save the economy he would be raising interest rates and encouraging real savings..as opposed to simple monetary inflation.

The perception from government, and the left has adopted that view, is that everything be monetized. All wealth has a monetary value. That is how it can be estimated and redistributed around. Piling up dollars is not equivalent to piling up wealth but governments and the left look at it as though it were one and the same thing. Therefore those dollars the banks and business have on hand shouldn't just sit there they need to be distributed around into the hands of the public. Unfortunately, that doesn't increase the wealth in the economy it only puts more demand for the same amount of existing wealth in the economy, essentially decreasing the purchasing power of the dollar, or what's called inflation.

It is a mistake to think that part of the definition of money is that it is a measure of value. Value is entirely subjective. The individual will always determine how much and for what he is willing to trade his dollars for, thus it is subjective.

Whenever I read an article from an economist I can usually determine whether he considers a measure of value be included as a part of the definition of money, and a lot do because they learn it that way. For commodity based money it may be more true money is a measure of value because as a commodity it has a value and as a monetary unit it may have a different subjective value but for a fiat paper currency or an electronic debit and credit system that have no real value it only has an assigned or subjective value, based partly on supply and demand and partly on confidence in the system.

Edited by Pliny

There's a huge generation gap. Unemployment isn't particularly high overall. When you look at youth unemployment and credit problems, you see a completely different picture.

If there's an issue of youth unemployment which government can address it's a lack of proper skills wich the workforce is looking for. Education is a provincial responsibility.

Conservative economics are failing us

Lets face it, all economics are leading us to a world of ruin. The prime reason I feel, is the disconnect between our economy and the planet's ecosystems that underwrite our economy.

We're only going to get one chance at making a global economic civilization work and if it must be based on endless growth, we'll need more planets, and probably sooner rather than later. Presumably there are people who realize this and are apparently working to develop the technology to make this happen but what if they can't or what if they can but only for a few at the very top of the economic food chain? Cultivating a sense of entitlement by free welfare is clearly not going to work anymore than simply having everyone roll up their sleeves a little higher will. Ramping up the moral imperative to produce by effectively cracking down and getting tough on insolvent players in our economy will lead us to ruin even faster, especially in the face of playing fields that are tilted towards concentrating wealth even faster into the hands of the solvent classes.

Are the beggars expected to believe that they're part of some grand plan in which the sacrifices they make will be for the greater good of our species? Are they to meekly accept this greater good will probably only be realized by the choosers who move into space on the backs of the beggars? I just don't think the Troglodytes are going to put up with the Stratos dwellers having everyone's cake and eating it too.

Our economy at this point in time seems too heartless to successfully launch us into the deep future. Yes everyone should produce or contribute something towards earning their keep but I think we need to create a currency that recognizes and captures in-kind contributions of volunteer or workfare labour to the greater good as well as rewards people who create brand new wealth where there never was any before. The best example I can think of what this might look like locally for example would be to clean up a beach covered by Japanese tsunami debris with people who are unemployed instead of appealing to unpaid volunteers.

If there's an issue of youth unemployment which government can address it's a lack of proper skills wich the workforce is looking for. Education is a provincial responsibility.

We have one of the best educated OECD nations. So why are our youth lacking the "proper" skills? This is a question that needs seriously reflection.

We have one of the best educated OECD nations. So why are our youth lacking the "proper" skills? This is a question that needs seriously reflection.

Because, 40 years ago businesses trained workers for a job.

Today, businesses expect their workers to be trained before they arrive on the job.

If businesses went back to training their own workers, this ficticious "no one qualified for the job" crap would end.

It's a story about the entitlement of the business class.

Yes, Very educated in civil war history, Archeology, philosophy, and many othe useless persuits that will never cover a mortgage. Yes, very educated in useless endevours. Our very weak educational system and even weaker teachers should be pushing our students into the direction where job actually reside! Needs serious reflection? No need.. See above...

Today, businesses expect their workers to be trained before they arrive on the job.

If businesses went back to training their own workers, this ficticious "no one qualified for the job" crap would end.

Interesting point. It's another way for businesses to externalize costs (like they do with environmental damage). They blackmail the state into paying for its training programs by threatening to leave: "You want us to offer jobs here? Train your populace for us."

Interesting point. It's another way for businesses to externalize costs (like they do with environmental damage). They blackmail the state into paying for its training programs by threatening to leave: "You want us to offer jobs here? Train your populace for us."

That's too simplistic. Business still trains people. You come out of university and you're ready for what? Not much. Every company has different ways of doing things, and a new employee requires a lot of work to get them up to speed. That's true whether they have no experience, or years of it. Most of our jobs, though, don't seem to be in the category which univerisities train, but in the ones colleges should be training.

HUh?? I seel well over 11 Million dollars in private training for my customers such as RIM, L3, AMD, Honneywell and many more.. And I know that there are countles other semiconductor based "Tools" that are far more costly than mine and have a much greater TAM..

Im seeing the exact opposite of what your "opinion" or "suspicions" infer...

Yes, Very educated in civil war history, Archeology, philosophy, and many othe useless persuits pursuits that will never cover a mortgage. Yes, very educated in useless endevours. Our very weak educational system and even weaker teachers should be pushing our students into the direction where job actually reside! Needs serious reflection? No need.. See above...

history and philosophy are components of law, documentation, archiving, research papers, political science etc, I could go on and on...archeology, probably every major energy corporation in Alberta has archeologists on staff, museums, government federal and provincial, police...that you didn't know any of these occupational requirements brings your own education into question...

Really... Archaeologist on Site? No, they are called "geeeee Ahhhhhhhhh low gists". Yes, I work with a number of them...

Philosophy a "component" of law... So a "philosopher" is a lawyer... I get it now.

I took finger painting in grade one.... Am I an architect?

How much does a "major" in philosophy make? And now... A "lawyer"?

My expertise and my credentials would astound you btw.. Don't try to candy coat these useless university endeavors like philosophy into any other bucket other than "academic".....

All these assumptions you make like "probably" aren't holding water. Let's play in the real world here.... Or are we philosophical.....

Oh yeah, if you ever need an "archeoligist" out here in Calgary, there are 7 that all of alberta uses.. "tera field archeology". 7 of them... Good guys and gals... But no work

"archiving"????? I'm yea, I do that.... It's called "explore, create a folder,. And then click save"... Omg. Really?

I'm yea, when my daughter grows up, I want her to Mary a nice rich philosopher...

Ultimate job.... "I believe that there were indeed dinosaurs but if no one has heard one roar, did it exist? Is the Dino real or is it just a unique consolidation of unique soil sediments portraid in a life like manner? Regardless as who am I to make decisions..... I will log this, file this, and archive this. Then I will put on my political science hat and protest for more money for my valuable research that I just archived".. Your post was priceless.... I almost peed my pants

I do like museums.... Love them actually... How many jobs are in "museums" now? Ya, I'm sure it's like the construction industry... Maybe bio-med... Thriving industry. Like the "horse and buggy" modification market.. thriving and lots of jobs....

Edited by Fletch 27

That's funny because my employer has paid for over $5000 worth of external education in the past 2 years (on top of internal training which costs labour hours of HR and senior employees). In fact, continuing education is a requirement of most jobs in the financial services industry.

I also had a few jobs with the federal government and the only education that I can recall being undertaken by myself or any of my co-workers was french language training or seminars in hotel conference rooms which most people attended for the free food.

The truth of the matter is that the majority of professional private sector jobs in Canada are in financial services, management, or natural resources (ie. engineering). Employers for those positions aren't exactly screaming out for philosophy and english grads. Sorry to soften your corporate hate-ons.

Edited by CPCFTW

history and philosophy are components of law, documentation, archiving, research papers, political science etc, I could go on and on...archeology, probably every major energy corporation in Alberta has archeologists on staff, museums, government federal and provincial, police...that you didn't know any of these occupational requirements brings your own education into question...

We're talking about private sector employment. Everyone knows the public sector has no issue employing people with those degrees...

Really... Archaeologist on Site? No, they are called "geeeee Ahhhhhhhhh low gists". Yes, I work with a number of them...

Philosophy a "component" of law... So a "philosopher" is a lawyer... I get it now.

I took finger painting in grade one.... Am I an architect?

How much does a "major" in philosophy make? And now... A "lawyer"?

My expertise and my credentials would astound you btw.. Don't try to candy coat these useless university endeavors like philosophy into any other bucket other than "academic".....

All these assumptions you make like "probably" aren't holding water. Let's play in the real world here.... Or are we philosophical.....

ya genius an archeologist on site -"the Alberta Historical Resources Act, when any project risks damaging a historic resource, known or unknown, the person or company undertaking the activity is required to conduct a Heritage Resource Impact Assessment (HRIA) at their own expense." those companies who do not have in house archeologists must hire private subcontractors who are qualified consulting archeologists. Every province in Canada has similar Acts.

your credentialsrolleyes.gif -judging by your previous posts and I'd be astounded if you had completed grade school... your lack of critical thinking certainly isn't equivalent of high school graduate... I hope you appreciate my correcting your spelling... laugh.png

my credentials btw I'm an Electro-Cardiologist, I graduated from Harvard, IQ 180, I married Miss universe and make a million dollars per year, and I employ people like yourself to work in my garden...we can all be so awesome on the internet can't welaugh.png ...

Oh yeah, if you ever need an "archeoligist"archeologist out here in Calgary, there are 7 that all of alberta uses.. "tera field archeology". 7 of them... Good guys and gals... But no work

"archiving"????? I'm yea, I do that.... It's called "explore, create a folder,. And then click save"... Omg. Really?

I'm yea, when my daughter grows up, I want her to Mary a nice rich philosopher...

Ultimate job.... "I believe that there were indeed dinosaurs but if no one has heard one roar, did it exist? Is the Dino real or is it just a unique consolidation of unique soil sediments portraid portrayed in a life like manner? Regardless as who am I to make decisions..... I will log this, file this, and archive this. Then I will put on my political science hat and protest for more money for my valuable research that I just archived".. Your post was priceless.... I almost peed my pants

I do like museums.... Love them actually... How many jobs are in "museums" now? Ya, I'm sure it's like the construction industry... Maybe bio-med... Thriving industry. Like the "horse and buggy" modification market.. thriving and lots of jobs....

and tell me genius when a lawyer, MD, political science major, theologian requires a philosophy component to complete a degree who do you suppose is qualified to teach that class ? a teacher? engineer? sociologist? psychologist? MD? ... duh surprise! a philosophy prof, i bet you never saw that coming did you genius...

and try sound out these big words s-l-o-w-l-y they are all related careers from the discipline of anthropology/archeology

Applied Anthropologist, Archeologist,Biological Anthropologist, Cultural Anthropologist, Forensic Anthropologist, Linguistic Anthropologist, Medical Anthropologist, Research Anthropologist, Social Anthropologist...and take those big words and do a google and you may just be able to comprehend what they do...maybe

now you can hop into your pickup and go to work and tell the rest of the boys on the road crew you learned something new today.

cool.png