Omar is back

PIK

That's right, Omar's treatment has a lot more to do with issues between the governed and government - the top and bottom or libertarian vs authoritarian.

As for the issues between the left and right, I'm more interested in knowing why so much more of the right is so much more supportive of authority. I take more issue with that every day because I think it's such a dangerous threatening trend.

Because punishing murderers is one of the roles that those on the right see as being the correct and rightful exercise of the government's power?

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right, Omar's treatment has a lot more to do with issues between the governed and government - the top and bottom or libertarian vs authoritarian.

As for the issues between the left and right, I'm more interested in knowing why so much more of the right is so much more supportive of authority. I take more issue with that every day because I think it's such a dangerous threatening trend.

Without proper authority ,the place will go to hell in a hand basket, as we are seeing now as people seem to no longer care about authority. There is some dark clouds heading our way.

He might become a folk hero to some, those who sympathize with his cause. Or whatever, terrorists. He will be the poster boy for their youth recruiting drive. We in Canada made the situation worse, instead of dealing with him quickly and quietly, our government dragged its feet and this brought him to the attention of the media. From there on all the sensationalism comes. We need to take proper steps to avoid it, not give the "the enemy' a hero.

I think you'll find prison sex in EVERY country, Mr eyeballs.

Yes I realize that, but in Canada you find a lot of people expressing a disturbing and disgusting desire to see offenders, especially young ones, being subjected to it as part of their punishment. They're the same sort who usually defend priests who rape kids and shrug off Canada's culpability in things like the abuse that took place in residential schools.

I think it's pretty clear which side of the political divide most of these people are on these days.

Yes I realize that, but in Canada you find a lot of people expressing a disturbing and disgusting desire to see offenders, especially young ones, being subjected to it as part of their punishment. They're the same sort who usually defend priests who rape kids and shrug off Canada's culpability in things like the abuse that took place in residential schools.

I think it's pretty clear which side of the political divide most of these people are on these days.

Mean while harper wants to build new , cleaner, safer jails then the 100 year old ones we have now, but yet it is pretty clear which side of the pollitical divide most of the people against this are on these days.

Edited by PIK

As for the issues between the left and right, I'm more interested in knowing why so much more of the right is so much more supportive of authority.

They always have been - but also not really. Human Rights Tribunals, Scientific bodies are all authorities but they don't seem to be popular with the truncheon and pepper-spray crowd.

Because punishing murderers is one of the roles that those on the right see as being the correct and rightful exercise of the government's power?

No, because most on those on the right are such complete sycophants they'll even defend kangaroo courts that go so far out of the way of justice to find child soldiers guilty that its disgusting and shameful.

Edited by eyeball

Mean while harper wants to build new , cleaner, safer jails then the 100 year old ones we have now, but yet it is pretty clear which side of the pollitical divide most of the people against this are on these days.

I'm not against that at all speaking for myself. But our prisons are not safer at all according to the prison guards that recently protested the overcrowded dangerous conditions they're being forced to work in.

Of course this sort of overcrowding makes the old nod and ;) even more likely eh? You alright with that too? You're comfortable siding with so many fellow right wingers who are?

Guest American Woman

He was just a kid. Dragged into this night mare by his father. We just made it worst. The americans did a setup and we gave our blessing.

If there is one man in the world justified to do a terrorist act against Canada, it's him.

The Americans did a set-up?? Care to elaborate?

Omar sucks.

-k

Well, you're assuming he's legit guilty of the charges against him. Being held at gitmo as a child throughout US military-led trials isn't exactly the definition of due process, so a guilty plea (via plea bargain) by him means butt-all in terms of his legit guilt IMO.

Also remember that he was forced to move to Afghanistan and forced to become a child soldier by his parents.

I'm not sure he's any kind of hero but I also don't know if he's a monster like many think he is. His parents are the real villians, especially his father.

Omar Khadr did nothing wrong. He was a soldier in a war and he killed the enemy. All soldiers aspire to the same.

That said, he was made a prisoner of war and he should remain one until the war is over. Could be a while.

He should get his red cross parcels and be watched carefully while out walking in the yard in case he tries to dispose of soil down his pant legs.

He should not be back in Canada.

He was just a kid. Dragged into this night mare by his father. We just made it worst. The americans did a setup and we gave our blessing.

Actually it was Chretien's regime that set our government's on a course that's steered into rocks, one another, over, under and through us. Most it seems including the Americans, went along like the blind following the blind without a clue or a care where it might lead.

Guest American Woman

Omar Khadr did nothing wrong. He was a soldier in a war and he killed the enemy. All soldiers aspire to the same.

Generally they aspire to kill the enemy against their country, not their country's allies. <_<

Generally they aspire to kill the enemy against their country, not their country's allies. <_<

Generally when they're children who've been brainwashed into doing so we grant them a lot of latitude. We don't behave like just one more war criminal towards them.

But I'm glad to see you've finally come around to seeing him as an actual soldier in an actual war. Now all you have to do is grapple with everything such a realization implies.

Was it a leftist who started this thread ? What is the purpose of this thread other than bringing more attention to this person ? Does anybody else see the paradox of starting a thread like this proclaiming that the left will be making a hero of this person 'soon' ?

Why trump these things up to be more than they are ?

Yep!

Pretty much like when the Toronto Sun newspaper couldn't go more than two days without Carla Homolka's picture on the first page of their paper several years ago.

There is a phrase for this.

It's called "profiting from some one elses misery"

Sun media are masters of this!

WWWTT

Pretty sure the left won't make a martyr out of him. Maybe they'll criticize the conservatives for how he was handled (poorly) but even the NDP isn't dumb enough to support some kid who tossed a grenade at some US soldiers.

Yes he was handled poorly--- he should have been shot & then rendered with the remains of a pig's large intestine.

No, they kill their enemies. He was a soldier on one side of a war. That he was kid speaks to the contempt in which he was held by his father and his father's allies.

He was involved in a battle. I have no issue with him killing his enemy in battle.

But he shouldn't be allowed his freedom while he might still have enemies to kill.

No, they kill their enemies. He was a soldier on one side of a war. That he was kid speaks to the contempt in which he was held by his father and his father's allies.

He was involved in a battle. I have no issue with him killing his enemy in battle.

But he shouldn't be allowed his freedom while he might still have enemies to kill.

Yes he should. That we continue to withhold it speaks volumes to our own contempt for the fact he was a kid. Our contempt is even worse than our enemies, simply because we should know better.

The Americans seemed to have known better back when they first captured him and should have known better than to let Canada's political queasiness over the Khadr name keep them on the hook.

It gets clearer all the time why Omar sucks.

Edited by eyeball