Political Correctness Gone Amuck

betsy

Hi there people who live in and are allowed to vote in Canada (Canadians)- it's not proper to call ourselves, Canadians anymore - the schoolboard of Durham had issued this new language guidelines.

The following is a partial list of some of the traditional terms, followed by the ‘preferred term,’ as described by the DDSB guidelines

http://www.globaltoronto.com/new+language+guidelines+issued+to+durham+teachers/6442713491/story.html

Don't you think enough is enough already? Time for psychological assessment on all those who sit on this schoolboard. In fact, on ALL schoolboards across Canada!

Our money shouldn't be squandered to pander to such lunacy!

Edited by betsy

The guidelines suggest different ways of describing certain groups of people. Rather than describing someone as Asian, Korean, or from any other country, the guidelines suggest saying “a person from Asia,” or “a person from Korea.”

http://www.globaltoronto.com/new+language+guidelines+issued+to+durham+teachers/6442713491/story.html

I have a problem with, "certain groups of people."

Are they saying, it is proper to call ourselves Canadians or Americans, but it is not proper to use the same way of description with "certain groups of people?"

Are they saying being described as an Asian is derogatory, whereas being described as "Canadian" is not?

Well I think who ever came up with this is a bigot, to tell you the truth!

Why should calling someone who comes from the USA - an American - be considered any different than someone who came from Asia?

There is nothing derogatory to being described as an Asian or Pakistani - unless someone who thinks it is, actually thinks being Asian or being Pakistani, is being "different"....and inferior!

Edited by betsy

This is the sort of thing you complain about? I read the entire document in the lit you provided and only found one section that i questioned, the cultural or racial group distinction, that seems a LITTLE over the top.

Betsy, there are so many huge problems in this world, that you are as upset as you seem to be over this seems silly.

And are you Asian? Purely out of curiosity, not that it matters.

This is the sort of thing you complain about? I read the entire document in the lit you provided and only found one section that i questioned, the cultural or racial group distinction, that seems a LITTLE over the top.

Betsy, there are so many huge problems in this world, that you are as upset as you seem to be over this seems silly.

What you don't think trying to remove all forms of gender identification really silly?

Did you just say Policeman? Go to the Principal's Office!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Boges

What you don't think trying to remove all forms of gender identification really silly?

Did you just say Policeman? Go to the Principal's Office!!!! :rolleyes:

I don't think anybody is saying that people will be punished for using these terms.

And... you do realize that gender-neutral language has been in use for perhaps 30 years ?

I don't think anybody is saying that people will be punished for using these terms.

And... you do realize that gender-neutral language has been in use for perhaps 30 years ?

Sure but do you need official documents reminding people about it?

If these are just recommendations then it's just a waste of tax money.

This was being discussed on a radio a few days ago and it was thought that memos like these are probably more about Board bureaucrats trying to justify their salary.

Edited by Boges

Sure but do you need official documents reminding people about it?

Well, it's a different question. I can't say whether its needed or not - presumably the school board of Durham District saw that it was necessary.

If these are just recommendations then it's just a waste of tax money.

This was being discussed on a radio a few days ago and it was thought that memos like these are probably more about Board bureaucrats trying to justify their salary.

Well, they have a school board with a lot of bureaucrats. Is it too few ? Is it too many ? Who knows ? What is the best way for this issue to be examined ? I can tell you that blaming political correctness will get you ignored by a significant portion of the mainstream.

If you really want to revisit costs for overhead such as this, then that should be your goal - not to ridicule people and alienate half the population. If you engage with the other half, you could get some buy in that school boards should be looked at more closely.

It's madness, I say. Soon they will not just suggest terms that some people prefer to be used to identify themselves, but even suggest ways that people should act in public. I see in the future whole books of etiquette dictating to people how these PC police "suggest" they should behave. Before long, the Golden Rule will be encouraged among even our most ill-mannered! :o

agreed betty has gone over the top on the this...language evolves constantly on it's own so there's nothing wrong with speeding up the elimination of obsolete words and phrases that are no longer accurate, relevant or acceptable...

Are they saying, it is proper to call ourselves Canadians or Americans, but it is not proper to use the same way of description with "certain groups of people?"

Are they saying being described as an Asian is derogatory, whereas being described as "Canadian" is not?

Well I think who ever came up with this is a bigot, to tell you the truth!

Why should calling someone who comes from the USA - an American - be considered any different than someone who came from Asia?

There is nothing derogatory to being described as an Asian or Pakistani - unless someone who thinks it is, actually thinks being Asian or being Pakistani, is being "different"....and inferior!

You would have to call Canadians North Americans to be equivalent to calling somebody Asian. It's not Asian or Pakistani, one is a continent, one a country.

But what do you call a 4th generation Chinese-Canadian if you don't know where they're from? Asian, right? Eg they committed a crime and the police put out a description. Vs if the person is white, they'll say white or caucasian. If a white person is called white, then shouldn't Asians be called yellow and Canadian Indigenous Peoples (the pc term these days) be called red? What funny conventions we build up. A CIP leader can talk about the 'white man' and nobody blinks. Let Harper talk about the 'red man' and see the s#$% fly.

Edited by Canuckistani

It's madness, I say. Soon they will not just suggest terms that some people prefer to be used to identify themselves, but even suggest ways that people should act in public. I see in the future whole books of etiquette dictating to people how these PC police "suggest" they should behave. Before long, the Golden Rule will be encouraged among even our most ill-mannered! :o

madness to teach our children respect and socially acceptable behaviour toward others? oh the horror! :rolleyes:

i attended a school introduction night a wyly jr's school and probably the best feature of his new school is the daily humanities class, much of it dedicated to how interact with others, an awesome idea which was never part of my education...

You would have to call Canadians North Americans to be equivalent to calling somebody Asian. It's not Asian or Pakistani, one is a continent, one a country.

But what do you call a 4th generation Chinese-Canadian if you don't know where they're from? Asian, right? Eg they committed a crime and the police put out a description. Vs if the person is white, they'll say white or caucasian. If a white person is called white, then shouldn't Asians be called yellow and Canadian Indigenous Peoples (the pc term these days) be called red? What funny conventions we build up. A CIP leader can talk about the 'white man' and nobody blinks. Let Harper talk about the 'red man' and see the s#$% fly.

calling someone a "red-man" would be derogatory, if I want to call myself a white-man is okay if a native canadian called me "whittie" that would be derogatory...who says what, when and the context that it's used can be very subtle but there are significant differences...

Hi there people who live in and are allowed to vote in Canada (Canadians)- it's not proper to call ourselves, Canadians anymore - the schoolboard of Durham had issued this new language guidelines.

Don't you think enough is enough already? Time for psychological assessment on all those who sit on this schoolboard. In fact, on ALL schoolboards across Canada!

I am an Asian. There is nothing shameful or derogatory or inferior about my color and heritage!

clearly, in your most over-the-top reaction... you don't understand distinctions between the biological concept of race, the cultural concept of ethnicity and a citizen's condition/status.

I expect in that you state you are "Asian", you identify your ethno-cultural status as Asian - yes? And if you are a citizen of Canada... you are a Canadian citizen. Now, of course, some people define their ethno-cultural status as "Canadian" (about 1/3 of all Canadians per StatsCan)... again, given you state you are "Asian", I trust you are not one of that same group StatsCan advises as identifying its ethnic origin as "Canadian" - yes?

I'm simply from Earth myself, I really don't have a clue where all the confusion stems from.

The following is a partial list of some of the traditional terms, followed by the ‘preferred term,’ as described by the DDSB guidelines

Leave it to the radical Christian to be howling against inclusivity.

Leave it to the radical Christian to be howling against inclusivity.

which prompts me to post my new favourite quote which would apply here...

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

- Mohandas Gandhi...

Edited by wyly

But it gets so ridiculous! They can't leave well enough alone....it's hard to keep up with all these changes....which are so darn petty! And so "twilight zone-ques!"

Like Shakey said, there's so many much worse problems, and I agree! That's why I'm complaining! There's so many worse problems that they can waste taxpayers' money on!

Maybe they're getting too much funding that's why they can squander like drunken sailors.

Edited by betsy

:lol:

They're making up supposed offensiveness where there is none!

So now, a Pakistani will indeed think there is something insulting when he is described as a Pakistani!

perhaps you should scrutinize what you're making up, hey? Oh wait, perhaps you clarify: what do you claim as your 'ethno-cultural' status... Asian or Canadian?

clearly, in your most over-the-top reaction... you don't understand distinctions between the biological concept of race, the cultural concept of ethnicity and a citizen's condition/status.

I expect in that you state you are "Asian", you identify your ethno-cultural status as Asian - yes? And if you are a citizen of Canada... you are a Canadian citizen. Now, of course, some people define their ethno-cultural status as "Canadian" (about 1/3 of all Canadians per StatsCan)... again, given you state you are "Asian", I trust you are not one of that same group StatsCan advises as identifying its ethnic origin as "Canadian" - yes?

calling someone a "red-man" would be derogatory, if I want to call myself a white-man is okay

Wonder why you'd find it okay to be called a "white-man?"

What's the difference between the two colors?

Some white-man see their skin color as the color of superiority!

If you find yourself just as equal to a North American Indian, either you'd find nothing derogatory when he is referred to as a red-man, or you'll find it's derogatory to be referred to as a white-man!

The Indian has now considered being described by the color of their skin (like the Blacks) to be derogatory since they've been "programmed" to think that way!

Changing the names how to describe them is not the answer. Those names will change again....

What they need is to have their pride restored to them! Pride in who they are! Their color! Their heritage!

Edited by betsy

*** bump *** ... still waiting for an answer

perhaps you should scrutinize what you're making up, hey? Oh wait, perhaps you can clarify: what do you claim as your 'ethno-cultural' status... Asian or Canadian?

*** bump *** ... still waiting for an answer

You asked about my ethnicity. I'm a Filipina. I do not call myself as "someone who was born and lived in the Philippines!" That's how we're known.....Filipinos. My ancestors have been called that! Passed from past to present. What's derogatory about that?

Edited by betsy

My point is that there's nothing wrong or derogatory with being decribed as a "Pakistani" or "Chinese."