Why I love the U.S.

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

Reason #1. "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" received higher ratings than the Republican Convention. Some may see that as a bad thing - "dumbass Americans!" - but it could simply be proof of the success of capitalism and the opportunities available in countries such as the U.S. Someone saw an opportunity, went for it, and has a success on their hands - and really, doesn't that mean more than the ratings of the Republican Convention - which, let's face it, is all for show anyway?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Is this sarcasm?

yes.... and no. Seriously. Think about it. Isn't the opportunity for Joe America to make a success the most important thing? - to Joe America?

Edited to add: As I said, the Republican Convention was all for show. Do you think otherwise? Do you think it would be a positive thing if Americans hung on every word?

Edited by American Woman

yes.... and no. Seriously. Think about it. Isn't the opportunity for Joe America to make a success the most important thing? - to Joe America?

Edited to add: As I said, the Republican Convention was all for show. Do you think otherwise? Do you think it would be a positive thing if Americans hung on every word?

You mean the opportunity for some rube family to exploit their little child for money? And the appetite for people to want to watch that sort of trainwreck?

Is the fact that Snooki is a multi-millionaire also make you love the Red, White and Blue?

Edited by Boges

Guest American Woman

You mean the opportunity for some rube family to exploit their little child for money? And the appetite for people to want to watch that sort of trainwreck?

Hey, it is what it is. You think candidates haven't exploited their family for political gain? Or is that somehow better? What about the people who want to watch the train wreck that is politics?

Reason #1. "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" received higher ratings than the Republican Convention. Some may see that as a bad thing - "dumbass Americans!" - but it could simply be proof of the success of capitalism and the opportunities available in countries such as the U.S. Someone saw an opportunity, went for it, and has a success on their hands - and really, doesn't that mean more than the ratings of the Republican Convention - which, let's face it, is all for show anyway?

That is exactly why america is going to the dogs.

Hey, it is what it is. You think candidates haven't exploited their family for political gain? Or is that somehow better? What about the people who want to watch the train wreck that is politics?

You're comparing being politically engaged to watching TLC? Which should changed from The Learning Channel to Trash Loves Company.

Look I watched Jersey Shore because it was funny, until it got boring.

I assume people are watching Honey Boo Boo because it's funny too. But you have to ask why it's funny.

Edited by Boges

Guest American Woman

Is the fact that Snooki is a multi-millionaire also make you love the Red, White and Blue?

If I never heard another word about Snooki again, I would die a happy woman. Seriously. But what about the fact that the royal family are muti-millionaires? - simply by virtue of their birth? And the head of the said family is your head of state - how does that make you feel? At least Snooki got there by the opportunities afforded in our countries. The royal family got there simply by birth.

Edited by American Woman

You mean "American candidates"

WWWTT

In my view, this particular show (of which I can base my opinion only on one episode, for what that's worth) is less offensive than most reality tv. There is a an old tradition of "rednecks" and "white trash" in entertainment that makes self-effacing fun of itself, while simultaneously humanizing themselves, by playing past the caricatures.

(I'm not trying to protray this show as the product of deep-thinking...only that there is cultural subtext to...well, to any part of culture.)

Far more ugly and disturbing, for my money, are the "experts help you poor slobs" shows: the Chef Gordons, the whatsername Canadian debt-advice lady, and so on: "wise" and superior authorities berating people, humiliating them, and then, ultimately (after they've paid the price in humiliation and debasement) their lives are magically turned around.

After which, in every case, without exception, massive praise and adoration is heaped upon the "Star" who used "tough love" to make them better people.

Now that's some dirty and disingenuous train wrecks of reality television.

However, I don't know why American Woman thinks that success, and achieving your dreams, is some sort of uniquely American attribute. Those days are more or less over, at least for the time being. Your chances of upward mobility are much higher elsewhere, nowadays.

Guest American Woman

You're comparing being politically engaged to watching TLC?

Politically engaged? Please. The Republican Convention was a show - complete with Clint Eastwood. Same as the Democratic Convention will be. They are what they are. Is that a bad thing? That's the question. Speaking for myself, I'm no more inclined to watch the Conventions than I am Honey Boo Boo, but to me, it shows that Americans are not going to be taken in by what a candidate has to say at their convention. I see that as a good thing.

Edited by American Woman

If I never heard another word about Snooki again, I would die a happy woman. Seriously. But what about the fact that the royal family are muti-millionaires? - simply by virtue of their birth? And the head of the said family is your head of state - how does that make you feel? At least Snooki got there by the opportunities afforded in our countries. The royal family got there simply by birth.

Actually this entitlement has driven the citizens of many countries that had a monarchy to expel them.Or outright kill every one!

Just because Canada is not a republic does not mean I have any love for people born into royalty.

WWWTT

So Snookie worked for it and ER2 didn't? :rolleyes:

There's a lot of responsibility that comes with being a Royal and a lot of scrutiny two. I'm rather impartial about being a Constitutional Monarchy thought. I kind of like sharing our form of government with the British Empire, but that's just me.

People like watching reality shows because it's it's like rubbernecking when you pass an accident scene.

I'm of two minds about it because It's interesting but by watching you sort of contribute to making people think behaviour like exhibited on these shows breed wealth.

Guest American Woman

So Snookie worked for it and ER2 didn't? :rolleyes:

ER2 (?) didn't "work" to get the opportunity.

There's a lot of responsibility that comes with being a Royal and a lot of scrutiny two. I'm rather impartial about being a Constitutional Monarchy thought. I kind of like sharing our form of government with the British Empire, but that's just me.

Regardless, the monarchy got where they are by virtue of birth. Are you denying that?

People like watching reality shows because it's it's like rubbernecking when you pass an accident scene.

People like "royalty watching" for the same reason. Do you deny that?

I'm of two minds about it because It's interesting but by watching you sort of contribute to making people think behaviour like exhibited on these shows breed wealth.

How is royalty watching any different?

ER2 (?) didn't "work" to get the opportunity.

Elizabeth Regina 2 :unsure:

Regardless, the monarchy got where they are by virtue of birth. Are you denying that?

Nope

People like "royalty watching" for the same reason. Do you deny that?

How is royalty watching any different?

I think the standard for interest in Royals is different than that of Reality Stars. But I get where you're coming from.

BTW people like the Royals about as much in your country as here. It's just official here.

Guest American Woman

It says a lot about the state of the U.S. today that the best hope for members of the working class to advance in life is to land a reality show deal.

Really? That's the "best hope?" And who exactly has determined that? - the same people who claim that the best hope for members of the working class in Canada is to land a spot on a hockey team?

:rolleyes:

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

it's sad to see someone being proud that this:

It's sad to see someone not able to comprehend what was really being said.

defines america.

The inability to comprehend defines a lot of non-Americans.

the american culture and society is flushing down the toilet and some people are proud of it.

Yeah, I only wish America had a Royal Family to focus on instead. ;)

Try. to. comprehend.

It's the opportunity to go for something and make a success of it - regardless of what you or I think of it.

But if you think the Republican Convention should have taken priority, ie: that it should be taken as gospel, and Americans should have been tuned into it, hanging on every word, that's your right. :)

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

Snooki didn't build that... dumbass Americans built it! :lol:

Yeah, because of course no dumbass Canadians watch. They're all too busy watching the AMERICAN conventions. Hanging on every word. ;)