Air Conditioning.

Boges

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that unreasonable or am I "soft"?

I'm not sure. I live in an apartment with no air conditioning. I bought one fan at the beginning of this month. I loathe humidity and hate swealtering, but the fan is all I need. I do, though, keep it pointed at me and running all night. Even with this heat, and the fan on the lowest setting, I still find myself soon pulling a light cotton blanket over me.

The only thing I can't tolerate is stagnant, humid air.

I have a geothermal setup that keeps her cold in e summer and hot in winter.

I used to have an old sprayer without ac, only a fan. It wasn't too bad on a 90+ degree day with a 400 talon tank of water between the cab and the motor. Good thing the windows roll down on cars if the ac isn't equipped or broken!

but the furnace comes on automatically as required in winter, you waste energy turning it on all the time...

No, it moves air around the home, this distributes the air more evenly keeping the whole home at a similar temp, so you aren't turning up the heat because its cold upstairs while its too warm downstairs, plus if you have a newer high efficiency furnace the fan uses very little energy.

• 1 month later...

I live near the ocean so it rarely gets hot enough that I need A/C.

There are a couple of points that I haven't seen yet in this discussion.

Heat pumps can provide heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. The up-front costs can be significant but they are far more efficient than ordinary heating. If you live in an area where you need A/C only occasionally and can save significant amounts on your heating, they can be a good option.

Our needs for heating and air conditioning are driven in significant part by building design. Many of us live in houses that are far bigger than we need, have too much glass (which can cause heating in the summer and leak heat in the winter), and are poorly designed for heating/cooling efficiency. If we shifted a greater portion of our living space to be below ground (which provides natural moderation of heat/cool swings), we could lower our energy needs significantly.

I live near the ocean so it rarely gets hot enough that I need A/C.

There are a couple of points that I haven't seen yet in this discussion.

Heat pumps can provide heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. The up-front costs can be significant but they are far more efficient than ordinary heating. If you live in an area where you need A/C only occasionally and can save significant amounts on your heating, they can be a good option.

Our needs for heating and air conditioning are driven in significant part by building design. Many of us live in houses that are far bigger than we need, have too much glass (which can cause heating in the summer and leak heat in the winter), and are poorly designed for heating/cooling efficiency. If we shifted a greater portion of our living space to be below ground (which provides natural moderation of heat/cool swings), we could lower our energy needs significantly.

So you think more people should live in Basement apartments? :unsure:

I spent 2.5 years of my life living in a basement apartment. Though it took longer to heat up in the Summer it got damn cold in the winter.

I turn off the vents to rooms I seldom spend time in.

So you think more people should live in Basement apartments? :unsure:

I spent 2.5 years of my life living in a basement apartment. Though it took longer to heat up in the Summer it got damn cold in the winter.

I turn off the vents to rooms I seldom spend time in.

No, I don't think more people should live in basement apartments. I do think that more consideration should be given to energy efficiency instead of aesthetics. People tend to focus on closet space and nice kitchens, not efficiency.

My house has a shallow basement. If the basement was dug in it would provide more of a reservoir of cool air in the summer and warmer air in the winter. When houses are built and basements are dug, it would be the perfect opportunity to put in a ground source heat pump, which will work even in climates that are quite cold.

When houses are built and basements are dug, it would be the perfect opportunity to put in a ground source heat pump, which will work even in climates that are quite cold.

Plenty of places where it simply cannot work and the cost can be phohibitive.

My cottage for one, looked at and gave up in mere seconds, all rock from me to the lake.Not going to happen.

Vant do it in the city either due to spacing.

Live rural and near a pnd? Knock yourself out

Plenty of places where it simply cannot work and the cost can be phohibitive.

My cottage for one, looked at and gave up in mere seconds, all rock from me to the lake.Not going to happen.

Vant do it in the city either due to spacing.

Live rural and near a pnd? Knock yourself out

A heat pump isn't cheap but it will last a long time and pay for itself. Not to mention the reduction in GHG's. They put in vertically instead of horizontally. It seems like whether you can use one in a city would depend on bylaws.

In many of areas of Canada, an air source heat pump is feasible. They are somewhat less efficient but significantly cheaper. And they are definitely feasible for city use.

• 2 weeks later...

My AC is on right now - full blast - despite the fact it's 17 outside, and, my window is open.

I save the environment in other ways. For example, I often cook after my roomate, and use her hot burner as to not waste power. I leave the oven door open after baking to warm up the apartment on cool days.

But when it comes to AC? Turn that ****** on full blast.

My AC is on right now - full blast - despite the fact it's 17 outside, and, my window is open.

I save the environment in other ways. For example, I often cook after my roomate, and use her hot burner as to not waste power. I leave the oven door open after baking to warm up the apartment on cool days.

But when it comes to AC? Turn that ****** on full blast.

LOL at having it on when it's 17 outside.

I bet during the winter you have your heater on above 23.

I doubt that.

Your fan is on, but no compressor will operate at that temp.

Our AC is centrally supplied.

LOL at having it on when it's 17 outside.

I bet during the winter you have your heater on above 23.

Well, this building seems to trap heat. It can be 10 outside for a week and we would still not need any heat.

• 2 weeks later...

I use A/C the whole time have it set to 22 or 23 and leave it on during the whole summer. I don't like humidity in my house, I feel that it makes everything feel dirty and sticky. When it's cool everything feels crisp and clean.

I think that people who own houses but don't put in Ac units are crazy and cheap. If nothing else it ups your resale value a lot.

I don't know how people can stand to sit in 40c heat and claim not to be too hot. How do they sleep in this temperature? I'm civilized so I use an ac unit.

Must be nice having company and letting them sweat to death cause you're too cheap to turn on the ac...lol.

I think that people who own houses but don't put in Ac units are crazy and cheap. If nothing else it ups your resale value a lot.

Well, maybe those people have boiler systems and the last quote they got years ago was stupid expensive.

And ....no it doesnt. :lol:

I don't know how people can stand to sit in 40c heat and claim not to be too hot. How do they sleep in this temperature? I'm civilized so I use an ac unit.

It never gets to 40.

Quite nicely but after a while it gets harder.

Civilized inaction m,aybe, but not in manner.

Must be nice having company and letting them sweat to death cause you're too cheap to turn on the ac...lol.

I dont have people over, I invite them up to my cottage on the lake, and we boat, bbq some nice food, fresh air , no idea how cheap and uncivilized people live witout a cottage.