Air Conditioning.

Boges

Sure it does. Who wants to buy a house without Central Air? Even if you rarely use it, having the option is nice.

Central air is a ripoff. You can get all the AC you need with a few window/portable units around the house, for a grand total price of around $1000 (about $200-$300 per unit).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it does. Who wants to buy a house without Central Air? Even if you rarely use it, having the option is nice.

Math aint your strong suit huh?

Avg home price, TO, $486,000.

Cost of AC installed, Betw $2500 to $5000.

Do the math and tell us what percentage that represents.

Ergo , no upping the the value ...a lot.

More attractive? Attract more buyers?

Edited by guyser

Central air is a ripoff. You can get all the AC you need with a few window/portable units around the house, for a grand total price of around $1000 (about $200-$300 per unit).

I would not agree with rip off especially in light of your comparison.

COnvenience, attractiveness , are two that work against you. Cant get a nice breeze with the window blocked can you?

Increase electrical bills, doors shut all over the place.

Hey, they work you are right. But I threw 3 of them out (all working fine) because I find them unsuitable for me. Yup, I was hot this summer.

Running 3 window units probably use up a lot more juice than one central air unit, and you don't have the luxury of a programmable thermostat.

Plus they look really ugly and cheap coming out of your window. My neighbour has one coming out of their bedroom window, it drips water and is quite unsightly.

I would not agree with rip off especially in light of your comparison.

COnvenience, attractiveness , are two that work against you. Cant get a nice breeze with the window blocked can you?

Get a house with more than one window per room? :)

Increase electrical bills, doors shut all over the place.

Central air isn't free either. It also uses electricity, thus increasing your bills if you use it.

Hey, they work you are right. But I threw 3 of them out (all working fine) because I find them unsuitable for me. Yup, I was hot this summer.

If you don't like the window ones, get the portable ones instead. Just roll them out of the way into a closet when not in use...

Get a house with more than one window per room? :)

If you can afford to be that picky about the home you live in, then why forgo AC?

Central air isn't free either. It also uses electricity, thus increasing your bills if you use it.

Yeah but Central Air is a lot more efficient.

If you don't like the window ones, get the portable ones instead. Just roll them out of the way into a closet when not in use...

You still need a method of getting the hot air out (likely a window)

Edited by Boges

:)

I did it all my life...but it's true that now I've got one, I can't ever go back!

I did most of my life, had a few houses with it, only this one without it.

Its not bad generally, this year was a bit taxing though.

Come christmas when the reno's are done, I will have it, got the space ready in the attic for it too !

I did most of my life, had a few houses with it, only this one without it.

Its not bad generally, this year was a bit taxing though.

Come christmas when the reno's are done, I will have it, got the space ready in the attic for it too !

Sorry, I was maybe unclear; I was responding to your remark about having a cottage. I was saying that I spent my entire life without one, didn't care about it, but now that I've got it, I absolutely love it.

As for a/c...I like it, but I don't really mind doing without it. The wife, now, has a different view....

Sorry, I was maybe unclear; I was responding to your remark about having a cottage. I was saying that I spent my entire life without one, didn't care about it, but now that I've got it, I absolutely love it.

As for a/c...I like it, but I don't really mind doing without it. The wife, now, has a different view....

Oops!

Well I agree with you even tho the expense is getting mighty expensive.

Id give up anything before i give up the cottage.

Someone having ac or not has no effect on my life, I don't care. I only care about what I do and I like central A/c so I have it.

We had window units when we lived in an apartment and have them in storage still atm for unknown reasons. They cannot be set to a desired temp and they don't allow for fresh air, which is a problem because we like to air out the house every morning. Plus they are ugly and unsightly.

The newer portable units may be a better option, I don't know since I've never owned any.

I don't see why people are getting crazy over a/c in this thread. If you like it, have it if not suffer and sweat, the choice is yours. For me life is too short for me to sweat to death all the time. Home supposed to be a relaxing place, not much relaxing about sweating while sitting still. To each their own.

We entertain semi regularly so for us to not have a/c would be cruel to our guests and I'm guessing they wouldn't come to our dinner parties much...lol.

We're the opposite of some in this thread. Our cottage is mainly for us to relax, reconnect and spend time together, basically it's family time. We do have a/c up there but don't really use it too often because it's usually very comfortable at night and during the day we're outside.

There's no need to get defensive and out of sorts about this. Just post your opinion, that's what's interesting for me. To read others opinions about things, to see whats going on inside their heads a little bit.

• 9 months later...

I'd question anyone who did not have the furnace fan working in the winter. How else would the air flow through the ducts?Just realized how old this thread is!!

Just thought I'd bump it. It's hot today.

I was referring to keeping the fan on 24/7 to keep air circulating all the time.

I've heard it said that keeping the furnace fan on all the time help circulate the air much better and also helps extend the life of the motor because it's working all the time and not turning on and off.

I found the electricity price of having the fan on all the time was more than the savings in gas by having air circulate better.

I do keep ceiling fans on all the time while the AC is on in the summer.

41 degrees with humidity today.

Gotta love Central Air!

I feel very sorry for the people in Etobicoke who have been without power for coming on two days now in this heat because of the storm Monday.

You mean me !

While I do have power...for the most part, blackouts still occur for me, I have even bigger issues with my new pool....in the damn basement.

Two days now, after work, before work, getting stuff moved and getting air moving. Bought a giant wet vac at my 4th Home Depot I visited, all sold out.

And yet, w my reno's on rest of house not complete......NO AC still. Actually has not been too bad, much worse last year without insulation (pulled it out) in the attic to shield the heat.

Shall we talk about the almost 5 hour drive home Monday night? 404 to just past 400....4 hours, 40 minutes, no food , water nor company

Fun...can ya tell?

And insurance....well I certainly dont want to go there ;)

Edited by Guyser2