Air Conditioning.

Boges

In Southern Ontario it's supposed to be 37 degrees C or so today. Humidity in the 40s. Hottest day of the summer so far.

My thermostat is set to 26, when no one but the doggie is home. At 5pm it drops to 25 and at 9 it drops to 23 where is stay overnight. Granted that's in the kitchen, the bedroom is usually 2 degrees warmer but there are two well placed fans there. The drapes and blines are closed and the AC usually doesn't kick in until 4 or 5pm later in the afternoon the next day. Today might be different because it's super hot.

Is that unreasonable or am I "soft"?

Lots of media attention has been focused on people who do or don't use AC in recent weeks. Here's an example: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/the-air-conditioning-quandary/article4401655/

An Extreme Heat Alert has been issues and "Cooling Centers" have been opened. I wonder what the unionized wages of the attendants of the "Cooling Centre" are?

So who here is militant about their non-use of the wonderful luxury that is Air Conditioning? I honestly couldn't enjoy my evening later today if my place didn't have AC, I would rather be in an Air Conditioned office at work.

Edited by Boges

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have AC in my house. Moved in and the quote (back in 1999) was far more than it was worth.

Had but never used 3 window AC units, in fact chucked them in the construction bin I had for bathroom reno's. Total PITA.

When the back of the house is blown out for an addition, then I will install (late this year or spring next year. But not before that.

Take a shower around 10 and all is good.

Now take into account I have zero insulation in the attic because I have removed all of it to re-do it, but temps are too high up in that attic and I am forced to wait until cooler temps prevail. The lack of insulation makes it hotter upstairs. Was about 32-33C last night up there. Fall down on bed and go to sleep.

You really can and do get used to it.

One of my quirks is the more extreme the weather, the more likely I am to go for a run. Last night yea, today I will not be.

Edited by guyser

I've found I can easily get used to and be comfortable in extreme cold. For example, I'll happily go outside and ski and climb mountains in -40 C. But the opposite extreme of heat is just debilitating for me.

Even just trying to sleep in 30 C or more is miserable. If I manage to fall asleep at all, I wake up in a pool of sweat.

I'm useless and miserable if the temperature is over about 30 C. Why suffer when you can have a comfortable temperature at the push of a button? People righteous about not using an AC need to get a life.

I have no A/C...and yet I have a so-called life. Very Strange.

I put in central A/C when I bought this place six years ago. Well worth it. I work in an air conditioned office so my ability to acclimate to the heat is low. I also like my comfort. We've had A/c for years. I would think most people in this day and age have A/C. Years ago, I remember my parents renting air conditioners for the summer. It cost something like $400 or so to rent a window unit for the summer. If you're young that probably sounds shocking, but we hadn't yet invented China. And that's what stuff cost.

Now, of course, you can buy a window A/C for $100.

I've found I can easily get used to and be comfortable in extreme cold. For example, I'll happily go outside and ski and climb mountains in -40 C. But the opposite extreme of heat is just debilitating for me.

Even just trying to sleep in 30 C or more is miserable. If I manage to fall asleep at all, I wake up in a pool of sweat.

I know it's a cliché but it's really the humidity and not the heat that makes sleeping hard. My bedroom can get up to 28 even with the AC on, but at least the humidity is gone and the two fans on the bed make sleeping rather comfortable.

I have no A/C...and yet I have a so-called life. Very Strange.

Oh, it's perfectly possible to not have AC and have a life.

I specifically mentioned being "righteous" about not having an AC (as also mentioned in the OP). As in, badgering other people from the "moral high ground" that they should not use air conditioners.

I know it's a cliché but it's really the humidity and not the heat that makes sleeping hard. My bedroom can get up to 28 even with the AC on, but at least the humidity is gone and the two fans on the bed make sleeping rather comfortable.

Yeah it's pretty much always humid here. Annual average humidity is like 75%. So because it's pretty much always really humid I can just talk in temperature ;p

in my last house I had a/c but every summer I would forget I had it until about a week into the heatwave :lol:

in this home I can't be bothered to get one for the one or two weeks of warm weather we get, it just isn't worth the cost...I did install two windows one on either side of my bed that supply a nice breeze regardless which way the wind blows, that and a shower before bedtime and a simple fan cool me down nicely...

but location matters, where I used to live if it was hot during the day it was just as hot at night as well, A/C made it bearable...where I live now in Calgary cool mountain air moves in every evening to replace the worst daytime heat...if I lived in a more humid climate like Toronto I might breakdown and pay for A/C...

in my last house I had a/c but every summer I would forget I had it until about a week into the heatwave :lol:

in this home I can't be bothered to get one for the one or two weeks of warm weather we get, it just isn't worth the cost...I did install two windows one on either side of my bed that supply a nice breeze regardless which way the wind blows, that and a shower before bedtime and a simple fan cool me down nicely...

but location matters, where I used to live if it was hot during the day it was just as hot at night as well, A/C made it bearable...where I live now in Calgary cool mountain air moves in every evening to replace the worst daytime heat...if I lived in a more humid climate like Toronto I might breakdown and pay for A/C...

Well the climate in Southern Ontario is far different and ACs are a nice luxury.

When the present order collapses from the effects of (in part) air conditioning, we'll miss air conditioning, but we'll miss other things more.

What about Central Heating? Do people really need to live North of the TransCanada Highway?

Edited by Boges

Well the climate in Southern Ontario is far different and ACs are a nice luxury.

europe in July when the humidity climbs to saturation levels and temps climb into the 30s is pure hell...I plan my visits for may and august now, stay away in june/july...

When the present order collapses from the effects of (in part) air conditioning, we'll miss air conditioning, but we'll miss other things more.

Air conditioning will never go away. The only thing that will change is the types of technology used.

cooking on the BBQ or using the microwave instead of the stove helps a lot...keeping lights off as much as possible...turning on the furnace fan to circulate cool basement air...

You know I did that this winter to try and lessen my heating costs. I had some of the highest electricity costs of the year in January. (My heating is gas)

I think Ceiling fans are the trick, not doing that again with the furnace fan, the only real benefit I suppose would be the extend the life of the fan because it's on all the time instead of being turned on and off.

You know I did that this winter to try and lessen my heating costs. I had some of the highest electricity costs of the year in January. (My heating is gas)

I think Ceiling fans are the trick, not doing that again with the furnace fan, the only real benefit I suppose would be the extend the life of the fan because it's on all the time instead of being turned on and off.

you turned on your furnace fan in winter? why? that doesn't make sense to me...January and December are also my highest electrical costs as well but those months have the least amount of daylight and the most time spent indoors so I expect costs to be higher, I have natural gas heating as well...ceiling fans are good but not very attractive unless you have vaulted ceilings...

you turned on your furnace fan in winter? why? that doesn't make sense to me...January and December are also my highest electrical costs as well but those months have the least amount of daylight and the most time spent indoors so I expect costs to be higher, I have natural gas heating as well...ceiling fans are good but not very attractive unless you have vaulted ceilings...

To circulate warm air just the same to circulate cool air in the summer time. The furnace is coming on much more in the winter than the AC is in the Summer.

My electricity bill is low in the winter because I also have a gas stove so I'm only using electricity for the stuff I would be using anytime of year.

Edited by Boges

To circulate warm air just the same to circulate cool air in the summer time. The furnace is coming on much more in the winter than the AC is in the Summer.

My electricity bill is low in the winter because I also have a gas stove so I'm only using electricity for the stuff I would be using anytime of year.

but the furnace comes on automatically as required in winter, you waste energy turning it on all the time...