Your Toronto Blue Jays

For Christ's Sake!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-stroman-year-torn-acl/

Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Marcus Stroman is likely out for the year with a torn ACL, general manager Alex Anthopoulos announced Tuesday afternoon.

Anthopoulos said the injury occurred during a bunt drill and that Stroman is “crushed.”

Apparently the Saunder's injury isn't too bad and he'll probably play in April. But this is catastrophic for the Jays. Now both Sanchez and Norris will have to start.

God really must hate the Jays.

Edited by Boges

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they practice bunting because a) every player has to know basic baseball skills, and bunting is one of them- both hitting and fielding and b ) because they play a lot of interleague games and starting pitchers come to bat in them .

The Jays have been terrible at bunting, and of course had a couple of managers who just would not do it. Gose was an example of a guy who should be superb at it and was not close to that level. It is a situational skill that every player including power hitters should be good at.

Fielding or batting?

Fielding a bunt for sure. A pitcher is often the first line of defence in a bunt.

As OT mentions, there are instance where an AL pitcher would have to bunt. When pitchers do hit (playing in an NL park) a pitcher will probably bunt just about every at bat with one out or less and a runner on.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard the comparison made that the Yankees are depending on 35 year olds while the Jays are depending on 22 year olds.

their respective records from the last 20+ years supports one approach over the other...

It's no different this year tan other years really. Every year the Jays promote their stable of exciting young prospects, particularly pitching prospects. They've had a long run of unrealized expectations, often to a startling degree.

They need to underpromise and overachieve for a change. Their results the last few years have not matched their payroll.

I think I'm going to just record the 'Jays in 30' program this year until they prove they are worth watching. And for the record, I am a fan and I love baseball.

I admit I watched the whole game.

The Yankees look shockingly thin on offence.

Maybe the AL East will be a place the Jays can make some noise, for once.

The first five in their starting lineup is pretty awesome. Reyes, Martin ,Bautista Encarnacion Donaldson ... all threats. One weakness there is that 2 thru 5 are all right handed hitters. It would be useful to have a lefty or switch hitter in there, but I don't see any way to make that work.

I like Navarro at DH though he is not a big power hitter- but he got many timely hits last year for the Jays and he is an OK catcher.

Their biggest off season challenge was to replace the hitting of Cabrera. It would be a lot to ask of Martin, but he is a pretty good hitter for average and an big upgrade at catching.

What was encouraging for the Jays today was their 7 to 9 hitters, who all contributed.

The Jays will be put to the test most with their bullpen. Can they keep us in games?

What was encouraging for the Jays today was their 7 to 9 hitters, who all contributed.

The Jays will be put to the test most with their bullpen. Can they keep us in games?

If Castro and Osuna are as advertised then the Bullpen might be alright. Every team has to have a weakness though.

As advertised?.

They are advertised as babies with no pro experience.

Mind ypou, the Jays have had so very many overhyped, underdelivering prospects that the law of averages would mean that eventually they have to get lucky with one or two. McGowan, Morrow, Drabek, Morrow etc.

The apparent weaknesses for the Jays are: Starting pitching that is either very old or very new. The bullpen has to be a major surprise to be average. Their babies- up the middle on the mound, at second base and center field- are in high profile and important positions. And they have little depth on the bench or in the minors- all their good stuff is here right now.

They need some good fortune and few injuries.

But their offence should be entertaining most nights.

Castro appears to be the closer now. I think that's a great move, dude can certainly deal.

Teams will adapt to these Noobs (Castro and Osuna) but right now they look fearless. Even though Norris got the win he did have a rather shaky start, but got the job done.

I would never have guessed Bautista would be get out of the gate really slow. Perhaps he REALLY hates the cold.

Never guessed? He starts slow every year.

No guessing needed.

Really slow. He doesn't have a hit yet.

Donaldson woke up last night.

It doesn't matter EE had a really slow April last year and we all saw what his May was like. Just interesting that Devon Travis is the team's best hitter right now.

Great start from the Jays, 4-2 and won both their first two series.

It's all offence now, hope their pitching can come around because not every game will have 10 or 12 hits.

The Orioles are a lot like the Jays, offence wise. It would be silly to think they could shut them down all three games. Even Buerle got hit hard in that 12-5 win on Friday. I'm thinking they'll have an easier time against the Rays feckless offence.

What I'm struck by is how amazing Castro and Osuna are, especially Osuna. Sure there isn't a book out on them yet, but the bullpen shut that game down after Hutch had a rough second start.

Edited by Boges