F-35 purchase undecided, Fantino says

"Yah hahahahahahaha the people whose money it is to be spent are so dumb and only the military should get unlimited funds and spend it on whatever they want to....HAHAHA the Canadian people are so stupid."-Conservative on this message board.

Do you not see what is wrong with what you are saying?

I didn't vote for Mr Harper. Sorry to burst yer bubble.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right but CBC at least has some good hockey games on it. The Canadian airforce has never defended us from a sigle attack in history. In one get case we get mediocre TV... in the other case we get nothing at all.

By that way of thinking I should cancel my house insurance since I've never needed it.

And the public should not know the numbers and be able to make an informed decision on if they went to contribute to those costs. Don't forget that part.

What decisions? There is no decision to make. Those are ongoing operations costs, including the military bases, the equipment on them, the hangars, runways, etc, the personnel costs. Doesn't matter what fighters we buy the costs are the same.

What decisions? There is no decision to make. Those are ongoing operations costs, including the military bases, the equipment on them, the hangars, runways, etc, the personnel costs. Doesn't matter what fighters we buy the costs are the same.

I am talking about the decisions to buy F35s. A majority of our Elected representatives voted to see all the costing for the F35s so they could have a public debate. Documents were with held from our Elected Representatives for one reason or another thus we were cheated out of that open debate.

I am talking about the decisions to buy F35s. A majority of our Elected representatives voted to see all the costing for the F35s so they could have a public debate. Documents were with held from our Elected Representatives for one reason or another thus we were cheated out of that open debate.

And I disagree.

And the people you cherish for their democratic will decided that many of those elected representatives should no longer represent them, so the point is moot.

And I disagree.

And the people you cherish for their democratic will decided that many of those elected representatives should no longer represent them, so the point is moot.

While the people they elected lied to them telling them documents that did exist didn't exist. So that point is moot to.

While the people they elected lied to them telling them documents that did exist didn't exist. So that point is moot to.

If you're going to try to claim the Conservatives lied to us in the last election -- and the one before that -- and the one before that - then I'm SHOCKED, simply SHOCKED that you would think so! :ph34r:

Politicians, lying to us during an election campaign?! Unprecedented! :o

Find me a party to vote for that doesn't do that would you please?

I think that many of the people posting want the same thing. An open process, where the people that are paying the bill get to see how much is spent on what. Mr. Harper USED to be an advocate of a fair and open process, he has said so many times. Yet now that he is in control...............

Would that not make more sense to do when we are actually ready to buy something? So far all we've done is take our place in a queue so that we can have a shot at some manufacturing contracts. We haven't issued any purchase order!

Would that not make more sense to do when we are actually ready to buy something? So far all we've done is take our place in a queue so that we can have a shot at some manufacturing contracts. We haven't issued any purchase order!

That is the problem Bill. We are ready to buy the planes, at least I am hoping that since the feds spent 777 million dollars on the research and development of the F-35 that we should probably be ready to buy something soon! At this rate we could build our own F-22 ! The tax payer would like to see something for their sweat equity, and a very public display of political stupidity does not serve that purpose very well.....

Guest Derek L

For the sake or argument - even after the cuts, the CBC will get $1B a year. Using the $25B over 20 years for the 65 F-35s - including operations, we could buy, maintain, and operate about 50 F-35s with 20 years of CBC budgets. I don't advocate that.

The F-35s will have a projected lifespan of between 33-36 years…….Realistically it will probably be more.

Guest Derek L

You aren't addressing why we were never told of these numbers. We just had an election and Harper said these numbers didn't exist. Why did he lie to us and Parliament?

These numbers have existed for decades…….Do you think the aircrews work for free or the aircraft are fuelled by good wishes?

The F-35s will have a projected lifespan of between 33-36 years…….Realistically it will probably be more.

The other 16 years of the F-35s existence will be a different, post refit, lifecycle.

Guest Derek L

The other 16 years of the F-35s existence will be a different, post refit, lifecycle.

You’re missing my point, I believe (and I stand to be corrected) the AG’s report reflected the costs associated with a twenty year lifespan………

Can you imagine what the lifetime cost is of a single C7 rifle?

You’re missing my point, I believe (and I stand to be corrected) the AG’s report reflected the costs associated with a twenty year lifespan………

I thought you were saying that the numbers should be even more.... :lol:

Guest Derek L

I thought you were saying that the numbers should be even more.... :lol:

Oh they will be……..but we could add even more to the total………replacement of the hot water tanks in the PMQ’s in Cool Pool and Breadtown…….dental work done for the spouses and children of F-35 pilots and maintenance crews……Boot laces for the gun squadrons for the next ~35-40 years……..etc ;)

• 5 months later...

I wonder how long the Tories are going to drag this topic out and now they are trying to take the AG to court to stop him from bringing out documents that the Tories don't want brought out. Why? What are they hiding again? http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/134718-ottawa-taking-auditor-to-court

This might surprise you Topaz but I too am starting to think there is a hidden agenda!

Not for goofy reasons, of course. Some would say that Harper is doing it just because he hates Canada and the Americans have bribed him with a guest spot to play Beatles tunes on American Idol. That sort of thing is just nuts!

Still, when they try to muzzle the auditor general and shoot down the idea of a revived Arrow so quickly, one can't help but start to think that they have made a commitment to the F-35 that cannot be broken, no matter what happens.

Why would they do this? Happens all the time! Two countries negotiate something and when it is a very expensive something one might feel the cost must be hidden, because they consider the "something" so critical to their country that they do not want to take any chances that domestic politics might cancel it.

It might be that something is brewing, probably in the middle East, where Canada is going to desperately need a competitive plane like the F-35. Or it could be that Uncle Sam has promised to buy billions of dollars of oilsands product that would save our economy and provide thousands of desperately needed jobs for Canadians.

My point is, SOME DEAL has been struck and our government feels that at all costs the deal must stand! Nowadays, opposition parties couldn't give a damn about what's good for Canada. They haven't for a long time. They care about what's good for THEM! If they can use such a deal to topple the government and get themselves into power they would in a heartbeat. The good of Canada be damned!

Remember how Chretien cancelled the EH-101 helicopter? And rigged the new tender to make sure it could not be considered again? When all the other choices sucked in comparison? Does anyone truly believe the Liberals cared about the best helicopter for Canada at that time?

So I would agree something is being hidden but I don't agree hiding it is guaranteed to be for nefarious reasons, although when you are talking politicians it is certainly possible. The chances of Steven Harper being the Anti-Christ are in reality much slimmer than some partisan wingnuts here on MLW would have us believe.

Just because someone is not in your chosen political party does not make him an agent of Satan, you know.

This might surprise you Topaz but I too am starting to think there is a hidden agenda!

Not for goofy reasons, of course. Some would say that Harper is doing it just because he hates Canada and the Americans have bribed him with a guest spot to play Beatles tunes on American Idol. That sort of thing is just nuts!

I imagine he loves Canada dearly. His intransigence probably just stems from a hatred of lefties.

This appeared in the Ottawa Citizen and I wonder how many of you feel about General Mackenzie's view of bring back the Arrow in place of the F-35? This would bring jobs to Canadians and his jet would have a Made in Canada label. Thoughts? http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/Bring+back+Arrow/7220521/story.html

I would be 110% behind looking into it. This could be the answer, what a great idea. Something right there under our noses. But then politics can ruin a great idea.

Edited by PIK