Asteroid Threat on Planet Earth

Remember those asteroid movies? Scientists are saying that in 11 months, an asteroid will come very close to the earth, and the gravitational pull could suck it into impact. It would have the explosive power of a nuclear weapon.

Russian Scientists have released data indicating a large 60-meter asteroid (2012 DA14) is plummeting towards earth with an expected collision date by February 2013 stating, [sic]… time to build a spaceship to confront it, has run out.

No need to panic, but a very interesting development.

Edited by sharkman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember those asteroid movies? Scientists are saying that in 11 months, an asteroid will come very close to the earth, and the gravitational pull could suck it into impact. It would have the explosive power of a nuclear weapon.

No need to panic, but a very interesting development.

Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck will handle this!

http://www.lovelylivtyler.com/movies/armageddon/armageddonPoster_big.jpg

Don't wanna close my eyes

Don't wanna fall asleep

'Cause I'd miss you, baby

And I don't wanna miss a thing

'Cause even when I dream of you

The sweetest dream would never do

I'd still miss you, baby

And I don't wanna miss a thing

Yup...last biggie was 1908...and it missed hitting civilization. There is cause for long range predictions, though. We do have some rather large neighbors.

40 million live in Siberia now.. I think now if it impacts any part of the earth there will be casualties

Dr Ray Stantz: Are you okay?

Louis: Who are you guys?

Dr Ray Stantz: We're the Ghostbusters.

Louis: Who does your taxes?

Dr Ray Stantz: You know, Mr. Tully, you are a most fortunate individual.

Louis: I know!

Dr Ray Stantz: You have been a participant in the biggest interdimensional cross rip since the Tunguska blast of

1909!

Louis: Felt great.

Dr. Egon Spengler: We'd like to get a sample of your brain tissue.

Louis: Okay.

Hopefully the public is kept up to date on this threat. I had to dig and dig just to get a semi-reliable looking site to link to. This story seemed to have a pretty small presence for such an important situation.

They're not going to panic the public, it'd be anarchy..I assume they first want to pin point where it will possibly explode if it does come to that ..this probably won't happen but they could evacuate the areas where they think it could hit .. but probably not

I read the link. There's a definite "National Inquirer" aura to that site!

"Close" flybys happen all the time. A direct course of impact is relatively rare. Just because an asteroid's orbit brings it close is no reason to panic.

What's more, observations allow close predicting of an orbit's path. The trajectory is not likely to suddenly change, other than a very small amount due to escaping gases if the asteroid feels some heat from the sun or whatever.

However, if you want to sell newspapers, a headline saying a collision is not a lie! A lawyer's trick, maybe but not legally a lie!

I read the link. There's a definite "National Inquirer" aura to that site!

"Close" flybys happen all the time. A direct course of impact is relatively rare. Just because an asteroid's orbit brings it close is no reason to panic.

What's more, observations allow close predicting of an orbit's path. The trajectory is not likely to suddenly change, other than a very small amount due to escaping gases if the asteroid feels some heat from the sun or whatever.

However, if you want to sell newspapers, a headline saying a collision is not a lie! A lawyer's trick, maybe but not legally a lie!

But that's what I mean!

This story is big enough that several nations are commenting on it and NASA is commenting on it yet there is no presence of it in the media. A media that runs all kind of nonsense not running this seems odd.

As far as impact goes, the issue is what effect the earth's gravitational pull would have on its course.

As far as impact goes, the issue is what effect the earth's gravitational pull would have on its course.

No, the earth's gravitational pull has been affecting the course for months if not years now! In weightless space, gravity becomes a significant force over vast distances. It doesn't just suddenly jump out and grab something when it gets close, like a spider and a fly! :P

The earth's pull has long since affected the asteroid's orbit. Astronomers who take observations can clearly chart where that asteroid is going. If it were going to hit the earth we would see it NOW! If it's going to miss the earth we could see that as well.

It's path is already long laid out.

The earth's pull has long since affected the asteroid's orbit. Astronomers who take observations can clearly chart where that asteroid is going. If it were going to hit the earth we would see it NOW! If it's going to miss the earth we could see that as well.

They have been seeing it... for 3 years

No, the earth's gravitational pull has been affecting the course for months if not years now! In weightless space, gravity becomes a significant force over vast distances. It doesn't just suddenly jump out and grab something when it gets close, like a spider and a fly! :P

Indeed. In fact, gravitational forces are the vastly dominant factors when it comes to the motion of bodies in the solar system. The pulls of the Sun and the planets control their trajectories, with only very slight corrections due to radiation pressure, solar wind, etc. Computer models can very accurately calculate forward in time the positions of objects such as asteroids, provided that their current position and velocity is known.

Indeed. In fact, gravitational forces are the vastly dominant factors when it comes to the motion of bodies in the solar system. The pulls of the Sun and the planets control their trajectories, with only very slight corrections due to radiation pressure, solar wind, etc. Computer models can very accurately calculate forward in time the positions of objects such as asteroids, provided that their current position and velocity is known.

Variations séculaires des orbites planétaires or VSOP is a typical calculation to get orbital elements.

I'll just say that the scientists seem less certain than you are, Wild Bill. Don't suppose you found any other news sites on this topic?

Why should I? It's not my premise to defend and I don't think it's worth my spending MY time to try to prove the OP's point!

Guest Manny

In the past 2-3 years there have been several of these, asteroids that were going to make a very close pass near Earth and some of them were observed very far off. There is still considerable uncertainty about the trajectory of such asteroids because they don't know its precise velocity or mass, and they don't know its composition. So while it may appear to be heading straight for us, the exact trajectory will be revised a number of times as it gets closer in.

Fact is these occurrences are probably quite common, happen all the time but it's only recently that we've even been looking. Since then we've seen several asteroids come close, some of them even passing between the Earth and Moon.