RON WILSON WAS JUST FIRED

Guest American Woman

BUT that works both ways, and may be the reason why the Leafs suck! ;)

:D

I was going to say - I doubt that there are more Canadians on American teams than there are on Canadian teams - so that hardly explains why the American teams are winning the Cup.

:D

I was going to say - I doubt that there are more Canadians on American teams than there are on Canadian teams - so that hardly explains why the American teams are winning the Cup.

Well 3/4's of the teams are American, so statistically Canadian teams should win way less. But when you look at big market teams, there are really only two in Canada... The leafs, and canucks. And the US just flat out has some great teams. Detroit has won about 4 of the cups in the last 15 years, colorado and new jersey have won another 4 or 5 between them.

These are just great teams.

Detroit bought its first couple of cups, but even after the salary cap was implemented they kept winning because their player development system is second to none. They just have smart hockey people there, great scouts and a great minor league system.

Colorado was a first place team already when they moved from Quebec, and the Lindros trade put them over the top, and trading nobody for Patrick Roy was the icing on the cake.

Jersey won with coaching.

I wouldnt be all that suprised if Canadian teams went another decade or two without winning. The only real contender is Vancouver, and they have to get by teams like Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, St Louis.

As for the leafs, they just arent very well run from a hockey perspective. Last time I remember a really good team there was in 93, back when they had Clark, Gilmour, Andreychuck etc.

But the leafs dont HAVE to be well run! Remember this is a business, and the real winners are not the teams that get their names engraved on the cup. The winners are the teams that make the most money, and the leafs have sold out about 10 billion games in a row.

Edited by dre

BUT that works both ways, and may be the reason why the Leafs suck! ;)

Who says they suck? This is one of the most profitable businesses in the hockey industry, and according to Forbes magazine are the most valuable team in hockey at more than 1/2 a billion. Arent you the guy with the "economics trumps blah blah blah" in his sig? You should consider them a great success!

Edited by dre

• 3 weeks later...

The Leafs should get special recognition for their record medicocrity run.

45 years and counting since they last played in the Stanley Cup final.

That is not easy to do.

By comparison, the Oilers have been to the final seven times in the last 33 years.

Longest of any active team. All the teams who came into the league in the league in 1968 (that still remain) have made the playoffs since....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_franchise_post-season_droughts#Stanley_Cup_Final_droughts_2

• 4 weeks later...