Ont. dad arrested after daughter draws picture of gun

olpfan1

And people want to give these police officers MORE powers? They can't even handle the ones they don't have

I'm not into hand guns, I believe they should be banned but to get arrested for being drawn with a gun by your four year old daughter? that is insanely wrong

My cousin who's ten now used to draw guns, make guns out of lego, and his parents don't even own a gun nor did they let him watch violent tv shows or cartoons ..its what he learned from school

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/24/ont-dad-arrested-after-daughter-draws-picture-of-gun-reports

Police arrested a Kitchener, Ont., father outside his daughter's school because the four-year-old drew a picture of him holding a gun.

Jessie Sansone told the Record newspaper that he was in shock when he was arrested Wednesday and taken to a police station for questioning over the drawing. He was also strip-searched.

"This is completely insane. My daughter drew a gun on a piece of paper at school," he said.

Officials told the newspaper the move was necessary to ensure there were no guns accessible by children in the family's home. They also said comments by Sansone's daughter, Neaveh, that the man holding the gun in the picture was her dad and "he uses it to shoot bad guys and monsters," was concerning.

Police also searched Sansone's home while he was in custody. His wife and three children were taken to the police station, and the children were interviewed by Family and Children's Services.

Sansone's wife, Stephanie Squires, told the newspaper no one told them why her husband had been arrested.

"He had absolutely no idea what this was even about. I just kept telling them, 'You're making a mistake.'"

Several hours later, Sansone was released without charges

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insanity. When I was a kid I drew swords, guns, heck even spaceships blowing up planets. Does that mean my dad spent his time flying around the galaxy in his battlecruiser whiping out whole civilizations?

God damn control freaks.

heck even spaceships blowing up planets

You genocidal bastard. The UN has been informed...

Cool...about ten years ago, my kid came home and said he was playing with guns at his friends house. So we told him to draw us a picture of exactly what he meant. So he drew some pitiful stick figures of kids pointing rifles at each other. Shoot, I should have called Ontario police instead! ;)

Guest American Woman

I can only imagine the uproar if his daughter had drawn a picture of him with a penis.

As far as I know, it's not illegal for a man to possess a penis - even in Canada. B)

Edited by American Woman

Insanity. When I was a kid I drew swords, guns, heck even spaceships blowing up planets. Does that mean my dad spent his time flying around the galaxy in his battlecruiser whiping out whole civilizations?

God damn control freaks.

Ya, insane. He could have just been playing Star Wars with his kids or something. So stupid.

When I was in grade 2 we had to write/draw our own book. I still have mine and it was horrifically violence and gory (shocked me when I found it a few years ago). It was about some guy exploring a vampire mansion, he sliced vampires with swords (lots of blood), pushed them into pits with huge spikes on the bottom to kill them (more blood and gore), and got bitten on the neck (more blood). Nowadays I would have been taken away for psychological testing lol, but my teacher saw it back then correctly as boys being boys since nothing came of it & she didn't notify anyone, she even helped me name a few characters lol.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

As I've said before, way too many cops in this country are under-trained and under-brained.

The stupid flatfoots who arrested this guy should have their guns and badges removed.

There's more than enough blame to go around, Argus. What about the teachers? Brain dead, obviously.

There's more than enough blame to go around, Argus. What about the teachers? Brain dead, obviously.

Yes. Hyper-reactionary. I can see some concern, but I wouldn't get on the phone and call the cops. Maybe there's more to this story, who knows.

Even if the dad walked around the house with a gun, is that against the law?

Guest Derek L

Cool...about ten years ago, my kid came home and said he was playing with guns at his friends house. So we told him to draw us a picture of exactly what he meant. So he drew some pitiful stick figures of kids pointing rifles at each other. Shoot, I should have called Ontario police instead! ;)

Drawing pictures of guns? Doesn’t that show you as a neglectful parent by not providing your children with a real gun? I thought it was in the Constitution or something…….I got my 15 year old a SR-22.…….Instead of asking for money, he’s always hitting me up Winchester .22LR and MAGPUL ;)

Guest Derek L

Yes. Hyper-reactionary. I can see some concern, but I wouldn't get on the phone and call the cops. Maybe there's more to this story, who knows.

Even if the dad walked around the house with a gun, is that against the law?

If it's loaded.

I don't trust this story. It seems patently absurd that they would arrest someone because their kid drew a picture of them with a gun. I'm willing to bet this has more to do with the daughter saying that he "shoots bad guys" with the gun than the picture itself. Even then arresting the guy may be a stretch. You do have to consider though that a child draws a picture of her father with a gun and makes the claim that the father shoots "bad guys", it might be best that it's at least investigated. Imagine if she drew a picture of him naked and make some comment about him abusing her. Hopefully that's at least investigated.

Guest Derek L

I don't trust this story. It seems patently absurd that they would arrest someone because their kid drew a picture of them with a gun. I'm willing to bet this has more to do with the daughter saying that he "shoots bad guys" with the gun than the picture itself. Even then arresting the guy may be a stretch. You do have to consider though that a child draws a picture of her father with a gun and makes the claim that the father shoots "bad guys", it might be best that it's at least investigated. Imagine if she drew a picture of him naked and make some comment about him abusing her. Hopefully that's at least investigated.

My guess is once the teacher reported the “incident”, the police checked to see if there were registered handguns in the house, and used the opportunity to see if the father was compliant with safe storage laws……..They don’t after all require a warrant when it’s related to firearms……….Though this is pure speculation on my part, the police do use a heavy hand on any reports related to firearms……In this instance, I would hope the handgun was unloaded and that the parent didn’t carry it around “often” with small children in the house…….Pretty dumb if you ask me.

I don't trust this story. It seems patently absurd that they would arrest someone because their kid drew a picture of them with a gun. I'm willing to bet this has more to do with the daughter saying that he "shoots bad guys" with the gun than the picture itself. Even then arresting the guy may be a stretch. You do have to consider though that a child draws a picture of her father with a gun and makes the claim that the father shoots "bad guys", it might be best that it's at least investigated.

Why? What else is a gun for in the mind of a young child besides shooting "bad guys"? There is absolutely nothing here worth investigating or even raising the teacher's eyebrow, frankly.

Imagine if she drew a picture of him naked and make some comment about him abusing her.

Completely different and not at all analogous.

A child says their father is a murderer and that's not at all analogous? I beg to differ. She didn't draw a gun on her father with a bright orange vest on standing over a bloody Bambi. She didn't tell the teacher that he uses his guns to catch food or kill animals. She said her father murders people. Kids say crazy things, so you need to be careful, but it also shouldn't go ignored when something that serious comes up.

Guest American Woman

A child says their father is a murderer and that's not at all analogous? I beg to differ. She didn't draw a gun on her father with a bright orange vest on standing over a bloody Bambi. She didn't tell the teacher that he uses his guns to catch food or kill animals. She said her father murders people. Kids say crazy things, so you need to be careful, but it also shouldn't go ignored when something that serious comes up.

Oh please. If If every parent of every four year who said "my daddy shoots [kills] bad guys and monsters" (emphasis mine) were investigated solely on that basis, social services and the PD likely wouldn't have time to do anything else. To arrest him for "possession of a firearm" on that basis - at the school, no less - and strip search him was ludicrous.

The child didn't say "he shoots Bambi" because she wasn't talking about reality - she was talking about a fantasy. The "and monsters" should have been a clue.

Odd that you could see the irrationality of such a reaction when Muslim children were saying that they were afraid of their dad and said that he was abusive - and that situation ended in murder. link Very odd that you didn't take the "it ... shouldn't go ignored when something that serious comes up" approach in that situation. <_<

The school did not call the cops. The school called Childrens Aid, and we know what a bunch of prune faced loose cannons they can be. Childrens aid called the cops -- and we know what a bunch of ham-fisted morons THEY can be. God help anyone at the mercy of child welfare and the cops in this country. The only sure thing we know is that unless you're actually a brutal child beater or killer they'll be on you like white on rice.

Of course, if you actually are an evil, vicious cretin who's a danger to your child they'll whistle to themselves as they walk away. I've had very little respect for Childrens Aid for some time and I'm lately losing the respect I once naively held for police.

Edited by Argus

The school did not call the cops. The school called Childrens Aid, and we know what a bunch of prune faced loose cannons they can be. Childrens aid called the cops -- and we know what a bunch of ham-fisted morons THEY can be. God help anyone at the mercy of child welfare and the cops in this country. The only sure thing we know is that unless you're actually a brutal child beater or killer they'll be on you like white on rice.

Of course, if you actually are an evil, vicious cretin who's a danger to your child they'll whistle to themselves as they walk away. I've had very little respect for Childrens Aid for some time and I'm lately losing the respect I once naively held for police.

And yet some wonder why there's so much distrust about handing them even more unchecked powers, a la Vic Toew's Bill.

The school did not call the cops. The school called Childrens Aid, and we know what a bunch of prune faced loose cannons they can be..

Children's Aid can have you recorded as a sexual predator in their database on the word of a student alone. There are teachers guilty of doing nothing more than having standards of student behaviour on that list, then a student decides to get back at the teacher by making outrageous and untrue claims. There was no trial, no evidence in defence of the teacher, just an "Airing" of hearsay and an entry of "sexual predator" with the true victims name attached.

I'd wager similar stories like the one in the OP are as follows

- Child sees parent playing video game with gun or holding a gun

- Parent says that they are "getting the bad guys"

- Child makes picture but does not have full capability to explain

- Child communicates true nature incorrectly to teacher

- Teacher, hearing something that doesn't sound right, is LEGALLY REQUIRED to contact children's aid. Because if that teacher didn't and something happened, that teacher could lose their job.

Does it suck that it happened to someone who didn't deserve it? Yeah.

Would everyone here be slandering the teacher/process if they didn't follow it and something happened? yeah.

It's a lose lose as a teacher. You are always wrong, no matter what.

Oh please. If If every parent of every four year who said "my daddy shoots [kills] bad guys and monsters" (emphasis mine) were investigated solely on that basis, social services and the PD likely wouldn't have time to do anything else. To arrest him for "possession of a firearm" on that basis - at the school, no less - and strip search him was ludicrous.

The child didn't say "he shoots Bambi" because she wasn't talking about reality - she was talking about a fantasy. The "and monsters" should have been a clue.

Odd that you could see the irrationality of such a reaction when Muslim children were saying that they were afraid of their dad and said that he was abusive - and that situation ended in murder. link Very odd that you didn't take the "it ... shouldn't go ignored when something that serious comes up" approach in that situation. <_<

First of all, in that thread I never said that CAS shouldn't have investigated. I was addressing Boges ridiculous assertion that every child who says they're afraid of a parent should be taken away. When he comes from the mindset that the state should be extremely limited and not interfere in people's lives at all. Of course that incident should be investigated. They should always err on the side of the child's safety. CAS rarely takes children away and for good reason. It's a drastic measure only done in the most extreme cases.

For this case, I'm not saying that every father whose child says he kills "bad guys" should be arrested. But once again, if there's a possibility that the child is expressing the fact that she has seen her dad kill someone, then it ought to be investigated. Once again, CAS didn't take the children away and I didn't suggest that they should in this thread, just as I was arguing in the other thread that they shouldn't be taken away, because that would be absurd.

edit: I realized after I hit reply who I was replying to. This will be the only response you get from me because you continuously misrepresent people's arguments on this forum. I don't believe you're that stupid, so I have to assume you do it intentionally and I'm choosing not to take part in your silly game.

Edited by cybercoma