European Cup vs. Stanley Cup

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody can hit a golf ball as well. It's the ability to do these skills at a high level that counts.

that could said of everything...anyone can play ping pong, but play it a high level and it becomes table tennis, extraordinary hand-eye coordination and lightning quick reflexes...

nope, not even close...soccer, rugby, aussie rules lead team sports for required fitness...covering a 100+ meter field for up to 120 minutes with no substitutions vs hockeys 30-60 second shifts...

Who gives a shite???

You have to be a great athelete to be a synchronized swimmer and I don't give a rat's a$$ about that either...

No but you're implying that skating is what makes Ice Hockey the most difficult sport. Something that almost any able bodied person can learn to do with a little practice.

Hitting a ball with a bat is the most difficult thing to do in professional sport,other than going 12 rounds in a professional boxing match...

What is a .300 hitter?I ask this because a .300 hitter is usually the benchmark of an extremely proficient hitter...

It's a guy who fails 7 out of every 10 times he's at the plate!!!

Would anyone take those odds in 'Vegas???

little practice? try day in and day out for years practice

You're telling me it takes daily practice to learn to skate backwards? Puuuleese!

Not saying elite hockey skating is a piece of cake but it's not the an extraordinarily difficult thing to do.

Edited by Boges

Hitting a ball with a bat is the most difficult thing to do in professional sport,other than going 12 rounds in a professional boxing match...

What is a .300 hitter?I ask this because a .300 hitter is usually the benchmark of an extremely proficient hitter...

It's a guy who fails 7 out of every 10 times he's at the plate!!!

Would anyone take those odds in 'Vegas???

That's because it's very difficult. And it's not just hitting a fast ball but determining in a split second if it's an off-speed pitch or a in the dirt.

And hitting the ball is only half the battle, you have to hit it by 8(catcher excluded obviously) people in a field.

first sport I ever played hockey, I lived and breathed hockey :D ...I also played volleyball(poor vertical), basketball(couldn't shoot :( ), baseball(bored to death <_< ), box lacrosse(mediocre), kick boxing(black belt :ph34r: )

Volleyball, one of the most team oriented sports out there, fun to play, not so fun to watch. Nothing like being on time for a perfectly set 51. Volleyball is more about trickery and tactics than physical prowess.

Also very popular in rural Manitoba where there is not enough population/money for football.

Mind you in Saskatchewan they have a solid 6 man football league

Edited by blueblood

That's because it's very difficult. And it's not just hitting a fast ball but determining in a split second if it's an off-speed pitch or a in the dirt.

And hitting the ball is only half the battle, you have to hit it by 8(catcher excluded obviously) people in a field.

Nevermind the obvious fact that it is the only sport I know of where the defence has the ball!!!

And you do have to get it past 9 IF....You lay down a bunt!!!

a cricket player explained player explained to me hitting a ball in cricket is far more difficult as they have all the same pitches as baseball plus the ground is in play which changes how the ball reacts...

then there is table tennis where top players have less than .1 second to judge the speed, spin, angle of attack, curve, hop of the ball, .1 second is faster than ordinary people can react...

a cricket player explained player explained to me hitting a ball in cricket is far more difficult as they have all the same pitches as baseball plus the ground is in play which changes how the ball reacts...

then there is table tennis where top players have less than .1 second to judge the speed, spin, angle of attack, curve, hop of the ball, .1 second is faster than ordinary people can react...

Hitting a ball with a paddle is more difficult than a ball with a bat...Hmmmm...

I assume this guy is on a major league roster and can prove this???

Volleyball, one of the most team oriented sports out there, fun to play, not so fun to watch. Nothing like being on time for a perfectly set 51. Volleyball is more about trickery and tactics than physical prowess.

Also very popular in rural Manitoba where there is not enough population/money for football.

Mind you in Saskatchewan they have a solid 6 man football league

ya volleyball was okay to play but dull to watch, particularly when only the serving side can score, a later rule modification allowed either team to score which picked up the speed of the game...it's been a while since I've watched a match I don't know what version is used today...beach v-ball has a different fan appeal :D ...

you're right about it's popularity in manitoba and sask, small rosters fit well with small school enrollments...

physical prowess? I disagree, big people who hit the ball very hard..

a little trivia

:)

The 5 fastest in order of overall ball/shuttlecock speed are;

• Jai Alai (Pelota) 188mph. (Unofficially 200+).

• Golf ball at 170mph.

• Badminton (a jump smash) shuttlecock leaves the racket at 162mph.

• Tennis 153 mph (Andy Roddick’s recorded serve) probably this can be improved on in the case of a counter-smash.

• Squash 151 mph.

You know the reason Soccer is so popular is because it's so accessible. Hockey is super expensive to play.

The world's second most popular sport is volleyball, yet I don't see professional volleyball being such a popular spectator sport either.

Thats not the only reason. Soccer is a fantastic game, as is hockey. Youre right though, that you can play soccer in just about any climate on any patch of dirt or grass, without spending any money.

Thats not the only reason. Soccer is a fantastic game, as is hockey. Youre right though, that you can play soccer in just about any climate on any patch of dirt or grass, without spending any money.

Unless I really care about the team playing. I can't watch Soccer, is boring as eff.

Regarding Volleyball. At a high-level you need to be physically fit, powerful and be able to jump (unless you're the setter)

Spiking a ball isn't easy. But I'm not going to say it's one of the world's most difficult sports. But that's why a lot of people play it.

Beach Volleyball is a blast!

ya volleyball was okay to play but dull to watch, particularly when only the serving side can score, a later rule modification allowed either team to score which picked up the speed of the game...it's been a while since I've watched a match I don't know what version is used today...beach v-ball has a different fan appeal :D ...

you're right about it's popularity in manitoba and sask, small rosters fit well with small school enrollments...

physical prowess? I disagree, big people who hit the ball very hard..

The rule change put it to 25 points, both sides can score, and use of a libero which doesn't require a legit substitution which makes it a benefit to when e middle hitters get to back row on the rotation. (libero can't hit).

The big guy can hit the ball hard, but the defenders pick up on that very quickly and adjust for that. Plus the big guy has to get up there. A 225 ponder who can only hit hard 51s is going to be neutralized with double blockers very quickly. A good middle wants to be able to hit above or around the blocker(s). You gotta be light enough to fly...

It's like football in the tactics used. Defense reads offense abilities, offense reads defense abilities, first to crack the code wins.

baseball, cricket were the same, a ball and a stick were the only requirements...volleyball- a ball and a piece of string between two poles, basketball- any ball that bounced and a single hoop on a pole/wall/tree...soccer-anything round and a few rocks to mark goals...hockey-a stick and a hard lump of snow, skates were optional...

Unless I really care about the team playing. I can't watch Soccer, is boring as eff.

Regarding Volleyball. At a high-level you need to be physically fit, powerful and be able to jump (unless you're the setter)

Spiking a ball isn't easy. But I'm not going to say it's one of the world's most difficult sports. But that's why a lot of people play it.

Beach Volleyball is a blast!

That depends on how far you go down the rabbit hole. There is numerous combinations for which height the hitter hits, which part of the net the ball will be at which is taxing on your memory and timing. Then there's the poor libero who's diving all over the place. It's not so much as hard as you hit the spike, it's all placement. Vball is a different conditioning regimen in itself, to get the tradeoff of power and being light enough to fly...

The rule change put it to 25 points, both sides can score, and use of a libero which doesn't require a legit substitution which makes it a benefit to when e middle hitters get to back row on the rotation. (libero can't hit).

The big guy can hit the ball hard, but the defenders pick up on that very quickly and adjust for that. Plus the big guy has to get up there. A 225 ponder who can only hit hard 51s is going to be neutralized with double blockers very quickly. A good middle wants to be able to hit above or around the blocker(s). You gotta be light enough to fly...

It's like football in the tactics used. Defense reads offense abilities, offense reads defense abilities, first to crack the code wins.

ahhh you know the game well... :) ...I never had sufficient to vertical to be any good...I had a friend who was coach of a national uni championship squad(U of S), I always enjoyed his explanation of the technical aspects of the game...