European Cup vs. Stanley Cup

here's the truth about football...total playing time for both offense and defense combined is...12.5 minutesnothing happens for the other 47-48 minutes...I didn't believe it when i first heard that but I got a stop watch out and confirmed it...and i'm from saskatchewan, i stopped watching football after that...

excellent assessment on each of those blueblood, not many people would have thought to add motocross...

you could have added cross country skiing and rowing as extremely demanding sports...

Your right about football, I forgot the clock goes when the play is stopped sometimes. However the abuse some players take has to be noted. Especially the running backs. And for those big guys to be putting down very Impressive 40 yard dash times, 300 lbs and low 5 seconds, your moving.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching you people debate is hilarious sometimes. Why are you guys debating this? Hockey Players and Soccer Players have completely different skill sets.

Fast Twitch and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers.

Every see a Soccer Player built like a truck? Soccer Players have to have endurance muscles (Slow Twitch) that suits running for 90 minutes with few breaks. I suspect many soccer players couldn't bench 225 lbs. This is similar with Basketball players. I remember Kevin Durant couldn't even up up 180 lbs once during the NBA Combine. He's still one of the best players in the NBA.

Where as a Hockey or Football players needs fast twitch muscle for short sprints and strength. You have Wide Receivers in football that can do 4.2 40 yard dashes but don't expect them to do that for 90 minutes. You have hockey players that take 30 second shifts then are gassed cuz they're going full out for that entire shift.

Now a sport that has to combine to two is Rugby. That's a tough sport because you have to be super fit for long plays (with few if any subs) and be strong at the same time.

Its whatever your opinion is but most rankings ive seen puts hockey in front of soccer

In your defence, hockey requires the participant to learn how to skate, learn how to use an gaming implement and then coordinate the two. The big ball sports don't require that sort of difficulty and are easier to play.

In your defence, hockey requires the participant to learn how to skate, learn how to use an gaming implement and then coordinate the two. The big ball sports don't require that sort of difficulty and are easier to play.

Well is the question what's more physically taxing or what's more difficult. Being a Professional Baseball hitter and/or golfer could be deemed far more difficult than being a hockey player.

Yeah my kids are in both hockey and soccer. Hockey is definately harder to learn for the reason you mentioned. Skating is an entire sport on its own and one that takes years to master. Any clown with legs can run.

Well is the question what's more physically taxing or what's more difficult. Being a Professional Baseball hitter and/or golfer could be deemed far more difficult than being a hockey player.

Nope. True that baseball and golfing require one to learn the use of the game implement, hockey, or ice hockey as we are discussing, is still more difficult to play because it requires skating.

Nope. True that baseball and golfing require one to learn the use of the game implement, hockey, or ice hockey as we are discussing, is still more difficult to play because it requires skating.

So? 5-year-olds can learn how to skate.

Hitting a ball going 90+ mphs require an inherent skill "God-Given" skill.

Edited by Boges

Where as a Hockey or Football players needs fast twitch muscle for short sprints and strength. You have Wide Receivers in football that can do 4.2 40 yard dashes but don't expect them to do that for 90 minutes. You have hockey players that take 30 second shifts then are gassed cuz they're going full out for that entire shift.

Now a sport that has to combine to two is Rugby. That's a tough sport because you have to be super fit for long plays (with few if any subs) and be strong at the same time.

someone else who has never played the sport...soccer is very much a fast twitch sport, instant acceleration over 5-10 meters is absolutely crucial these are all sprinters and must do it repeatedly...this is where fitness comes into play, they must do their sprinting on demand, then recover...professional soccer players careers don't end because of their lack of endurance they end because they lose their quickness/acceleration over the first 10 meters...
Every see a Soccer Player built like a truck? Soccer Players have to have endurance muscles (Slow Twitch) that suits running for 90 minutes with few breaks. I suspect many soccer players couldn't bench 225 lbs. This is similar with Basketball players. I remember Kevin Durant couldn't even up up 180 lbs once during the NBA Combine. He's still one of the best players in the NBA.

why would a soccer player need bench 225? I could but how does that help them with their sport? extra bulk is something consumes calories and detrimental to their performance...excess bulk is counterproductive to the combined desired traits agility and speed...

Why would a soccer player need bench 225? I could but how does that help them with their sport? extra bulk is something consumes calories and detrimental to their performance...excess bulk is counterproductive to the combined desired traits agility and speed...

Strength like that would be helpful to a Hockey player.

That's why they are different skill sets. Occasional sprinting in Soccer is quite different than going all out for 30 seconds to a minute and potentially taking or giving body checks, like in Hockey.

From what I see when I, rarely I'll admit, watch soccer the sprinting is to get to a ball just to pass it off or take another shot. And when the ball is in the other side of the field they can pretty much saunter around the field.

someone else who has never played the sport...soccer is very much a fast twitch sport, instant acceleration over 5-10 meters is absolutely crucial these are all sprinters and must do it repeatedly...this is where fitness comes into play, they must do their sprinting on demand, then recover...professional soccer players careers don't end because of their lack of endurance they end because they lose their quickness/acceleration over the first 10 meters...

why would a soccer player need bench 225? I could but how does that help them with their sport? extra bulk is something consumes calories and detrimental to their performance...excess bulk is counterproductive to the combined desired traits agility and speed...

Yup muscle mass makes you gas out. Training for endurance is completely different than training for strength.

skating is something that is done quickly, most sports are hand/eye coordination a technical skill we all have from birth...soccer requires head/eye, chest/eye, thigh/eye, foot/eye none of which are natural skills we are born with...even when hand/eye is combined with an implement it is still essentially hand/eye...

I had this debate with a football player who went on about the incredible technical skill needed to complete an over the shoulder catch while on a dead run, to which I responded, "ok, now catch the ball on dead run with your chest then in the next step bury it in the back of a goal with your foot without the ball ever touching the ground"...

proficient technical soccer is more difficult to acquire...which goes a long way to explaining why canada is a dominant hockey power but rank 72nd in soccer despite that soccer is our most popular sport...

proficient technical soccer is more difficult to acquire...which goes a long way to explaining why canada is a dominant hockey power but rank 72nd in soccer despite that soccer is our most popular sport...

soccer is the most popular for kids to play but not to watch (hockey) is the most watched sport in canada

When I watch soccer they may play the whole game but most of the game they are jogging

in hockey they play in shifts but the whole shift they are going hard, battling for the puck, taking the body..getting hit by a cold rubber puck at 70 mph..

Edited by olp1fan

Yup muscle mass makes you gas out. Training for endurance is completely different than training for strength.

soccer like any sport requires specific physical qualities...

the best marathon runners from east africa were found to have a genetic advantage built in, low muscle mass on their lower legs, the amount of measured difference would seem to be of little consequence but when when total fewer total calories expended over the duration of a marathon it gives them an edge...

same for sprinters, sprinters of west-african descent hold(the last time I checked anyways) 500 of the 500 fastest 100 meter times...being tall and powerful is an advantage over a straight line 100 meters..

soccer is the most popular for kids to play but not to watch (hockey) is the most watched sport in canada

FIFA the world governing body of soccer tally for canadians who played soccer in 2006 at 2,6 million of that number 840K were adults...Hockey Canada's own stats for 2010-11 show 572K canadians play hockey...soccer is far and away the most popular sport...why soccer isn't televised more in canada is because we suck at soccer, people won't watch sub standard professional performances...

FIFA the world governing body of soccer tally for canadians who played soccer in 2006 at 2,6 million of that number 840K were adults...Hockey Canada's own stats for 2010-11 show 572K canadians play hockey...soccer is far and away the most popular sport...why soccer isn't televised more in canada is because we suck at soccer, people won't watch sub standard professional performances...

You know the reason Soccer is so popular is because it's so accessible. Hockey is super expensive to play.

The world's second most popular sport is volleyball, yet I don't see professional volleyball being such a popular spectator sport either.

You know the reason Soccer is so popular is because it's so accessible. Hockey is super expensive to play.

that's a factor but it's also a lot of fun there are no size restrictions a kid can be big and good at it or tiny and be the best there is....hockey wasn't expensive to play when I was a kid, that's what it's become...
The world's second most popular sport is volleyball, yet I don't see professional volleyball being such a popular spectator sport either.
the worlds 2nd most popular sport>>>cricket and basketball would be third...you don't see certain professional sports on tv because the market decides what is shown...not many canadians play cricket so the chance of you seeing it are slim to none, go to india, pakistan, england or some cricket hotbed and you're sure to see professional cricket, but seeing our ice hockey in those same centers, not much chance of that...

and there are countries with professional vollyball and it is popular, just not so much here...

Edited by wyly

I don't know much about sports other than Hockey, its the only sport I regularly watch

and you don't seem to know much about sports other than Soccer

first sport I ever played hockey, I lived and breathed hockey :D ...I also played volleyball(poor vertical), basketball(couldn't shoot :( ), baseball(bored to death <_< ), box lacrosse(mediocre), kick boxing(black belt :ph34r: )