European Cup vs. Stanley Cup

When your up to the go daddy.com bowl or the chick fil-A bowl, it's getting to be a little ridiculous in itself there too. I'm surprised August didn't talk about this in the original thread, the championship game is determined by a computer program...

The Chick Fil-A Bowl is usually pretty good. But it's on New Year's Eve so if you have any semblance of a life you really should be out with friends and not watch Fooseball on New Years Eve.

There are too many Bowls but this year's crop of Bowls has some really good games. Of course that does not include the BCS final which I predict will be a dog.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a professional skating coach that never skated till he was 21, and he coaches NHL players...so unlike some sports it isn't such a difficult skill that it needs to be started at a young age...

True. But a kid can learn to kick, head, knee and 'chest' a soccer ball much easier than learn to skate.

Yes,but the efficiency of that principle changes with the substance of the bat...

Of course, but the top (read "elite") players in NCAA baseball regularly get over .400 batting averages:

Of course each elite sport has specific requirements to achieve that elite level. (For example, the top NCAA baseball players regularly hit over a .400) However, the difficulty in playing the sport is something else altogether. Hockey players of any age would have less difficulty playing sports that do not require skates than the players of those skateless sports playing hockey.

:D

True. But a kid can learn to kick, head, knee and 'chest' a soccer ball much easier than learn to skate.

sorry no, apparently your another non soccer player who has no comprehension of the skills displayed in soccer ...I can skate, ski, roller skate, all came easy enough, again like hands manipulating a stick or ball, using feet to do what they were designed to do propulsion, is not a huge stretch...when you stick-handle a puck with your feet and i'll be impressed...

sorry no, apparently your another non soccer player who has no comprehension of the skills displayed in soccer ...I can skate, ski, roller skate, all came easy enough, again like hands manipulating a stick or ball, using feet to do what they were designed to do propulsion, is not a huge stretch...when you stick-handle a puck with your feet and i'll be impressed...

I dunno. I can juggle a soccer ball pretty much indefinately. Seems easy to me. I found it a lot harder to learn how to skate properly.

My OP concerned how to decide a winner and what I conclude is that "sports people" (as opposed to political junkies) care more about the style of play than about who wins.

Nevertheless, I am still surprised how the process to determine a winner (Stanley Cup/European Cup) is so arbitrary.

How else could it be? there's no objective playoff format.

And I'm also surprised that the NHL throws away "valuable" information: the goal spread/margin of victory.

Because it is not valuable information in a hockey context. Goals are simply more valuable in soccer than hockey, so naturally that sport places greater weight on things like goal differential (which the NHL only uses as a standings tiebreaker). The different values assigned to home and away goals in soccer is a bit silly, though.

Oh and btw: the European Cup take place next year in Poland/Ukranine and involve various national teams.

the current competition is the Champions League, which involves club teams from across Europe.

Cool stuff!

Thats not a sport though. Im sure its hard for a clown to ride his bicycle down a tight cable as well, or to juggle 5 bowling pins...

it's a big part of the sport those juggling skills are practiced routinely because they're required to play the game, players must have instant control of the ball and as in hockey absolute accuracy in passing and shooting...beckham's role required him to place a ball on accurately on a teammates head at a distance, doing this requires many thousands of repetitions over many years...likewise for Ronaldinho scoring in soccer despite the large goal is very difficult., using the crossbar as practice for accuracy is not mindless juggling entertainment...

here's a video that shows both practical application of both videos...a 60 meter pass picking out the striker who takes all the pace off the ball with one touch, a 2nd touch playing by the defender then cooling placing by the keeper...

Edited by wyly

Show me a five year old that can do that, and I'll show you a team of TimBits.

you miss the point, 5yr olds can't do that but you can find entire teams of 5 yr olds that can skate, skating isn't that difficult to learn... Edited by wyly

Because it is not valuable information in a hockey context. Goals are simply more valuable in soccer than hockey, so naturally that sport places greater weight on things like goal differential (which the NHL only uses as a standings tiebreaker). The different values assigned to home and away goals in soccer is a bit silly, though.

goals are used as standing tiebreakers in soccer as well...

the home and away goals in soccer is effective in encouraging attacking soccer, home field advantage is important in every sport, giving added value to away goals encourages teams to attack rather than sit on a goalless draw...

it's a big part of the sport those juggling skills are practiced routinely because they're required to play the game, players must have instant control of the ball and as in hockey absolute accuracy in passing and shooting...beckham's role required him to place a ball on accurately on a teammates head at a distance, doing this requires many thousands of repetitions over many years...likewise for Ronaldinho scoring in soccer despite the large goal is very difficult., using the crossbar as practice for accuracy is not mindless juggling entertainment...

here's a video that shows both practical application of both videos...a 60 meter pass picking out the striker who takes all the pace off the ball with one touch, a 2nd touch playing by the defender then cooling placing by the keeper...

Why not just throw in some bicycle kick goals and put the debate to rest.

Soccer players are sissies compared to Hockey players to begin with

How many times has a Hockey Player got injured..went to the back to get stitched up..comes back out and scores the game winner?

How many times has a Soccer player got injured (that wasn't a dive) get stitched up or massaged or whatever..go back out and score the game winner?

you act as if every pro soccer player can do that ...news flash man.. only the elite talents can do that

at the elite levels it's common, even I've done similar but with a much lower success rate, can I place a ball on someone's head from 30 meters? yes...can I can ping a ball of a crossbar? yes, control the rebound and do it four more times? I'd be happy to do it twice... which is why I'm not an elite player, not even close...

and how do they get that exceptional ball control? they start young like this 4 yr old

Just like only elite talents can deke through 5 players and score
depends on the ability of the opponents...at elite levels the defenders are elite as well, beating even a couple defenders is exceptionally difficult...5 players? only a handful can manage that (Lionel Messi), just as in hockey(Gretzky)...david beckham is having a great game if can beat one defender of comparable ability...

Soccer players are sissies compared to Hockey players to begin with

How many times has a Hockey Player got injured..went to the back to get stitched up..comes back out and scores the game winner?

How many times has a Soccer player got injured (that wasn't a dive) get stitched up or massaged or whatever..go back out and score the game winner?

happens all the time ...unlike hockey soccer teams have only 3 substitutions throughout the match if someone is injured the team must play shorthanded for the remainder of the game, so players routinely play injured...I've seen a players continue with a dislocated shoulder, trainer cut a hole in his jersey so he stuck his hand in and use it as a sling, what a sissie :rolleyes:

and rule changes forbid soccer players to play with bleeding injuries or blood on their uniforms they must leave the game, this was an AIDS prevention rule...playing bloodied was never an issue previously...

at 50 second mark of the vid... Kristine Sinclair scoring in the 2nd half against germany, playing with nose that had been broken in the first half...

imagine that a sissie girl playing with a broken nose :lol: Edited by wyly

I realize there are players who dive in hockey (looking at you PK Subban and Mike Riberio) but not to the extent that soccer players dive

all sports have cheats...is diving any worse a foul than tripping, holding or elbowing??? all are punished if caught...sort of balances out in the end... Edited by wyly

Hate to break it to you wyly but the only player in hockey that can be subbed in is the goaltender otherwise you have to play shorthanded until the player comes back if the injury isn't severe enough

you don't even understand hockey...every player on the bench is a substitute and are rotated freely...

Diving is way worse than all 3 you mentioned

no that's selective morality, they're all cheating...as one teammate said to me "if the defender wants to elbow me, hold me or trip me up why should I be a hero and try stay on my feet,"...probably less than 10% defensive fouls in hockey or soccer are called so i don't have much of an issue with diving...gt into a stanley cup final and refs put the whistle away defenders have virtual free reign to foul all they want... Edited by wyly