Federal Liberals gain

Guest Derek L

Guest Derek L

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/federal-liberals-gain-on-ndp-conservatives-poll-finds/article2251570/

The federal Liberals have picked up support from both parties and are now in a dead heat with the NDP, a new poll shows, as concern over the economy returns to the fore for Canadians.

The Nanos Research Poll, conducted for The Globe and Mail and CTV, shows the Liberals with 28.1 per cent, up from 23.4 per cent last month.

and

The Liberals were bolstered by added support in vote-rich Ontario, where the party is now in a statistical tie with the Conservatives, the poll shows.

The Tories, meanwhile, edged down to 35.6 per cent from 37.7 per cent in last month’s poll, and the NDP dropped to 27.3 per cent from 30 per cent.

As I said in the other thread:

Exactly, the NDP are setting themselves up for failure trying to target Tory supporters (If that’s indeed their strategy)…….The next election will be fought over the remnants of the Liberal parties base, and for the Liberals, to stop the bleeding and obtain the mantel of the official opposition from the NDP………..

Though it’s still four + years away, the NDP (And CPC) will have to guard their flanks from a re-emergence of the Big Red Machine

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

:lol: Big Red Machine.

Less than a year after a federal election where the winner won a majority and people are tracking polls.

Get a life please.

You don’t follow polls and politics because, I assume, you have a life? I’d ask why are you on a political forum?

And for the record, I’m a supporter/member/donator of/to the Conservative Party

Perhaps you should get a life and allow us political junkies to discuss politics……….and polls relating to.

You don’t follow polls and politics because, I assume, you have a life? I’d ask why are you on a political forum?

And for the record, I’m a supporter/member/donator of/to the Conservative Party

Perhaps you should get a life and allow us political junkies to discuss politics……….and polls relating to.

Oh I follow politics. But to get all jizzy over a favorable poll over 3 years a way from a potential elections is more than a little LOL.

Oh I follow politics. But to get all jizzy over a favorable poll over 3 years a way from a potential elections is more than a little LOL.

An election might be three years away but the kick off to the Liberal leadership campaign will be starting within months. The Liberals will likely attract much better candidates if they are able to remain in second place, or at least in the high 20's. There is also a by-election approaching in Jack Layton's riding, with Liberal support nearly double the NDP support in Ontario this riding could be in play. All this adds momentum to a party people considered dead, long term trends matter in politics. There are a lot more things going on in politics besides an election three years away.

An election might be three years away but the kick off to the Liberal leadership campaign will be starting within months. The Liberals will likely attract much better candidates if they are able to remain in second place, or at least in the high 20's. There is also a by-election approaching in Jack Layton's riding, with Liberal support nearly double the NDP support in Ontario this riding could be in play. All this adds momentum to a party people considered dead, long term trends matter in politics. There are a lot more things going on in politics besides an election three years away.

Another than Daddy Dalton who are some of the high-profile candidates the Liberals are lining up?

The history the Liberals have in this country you knew eventually they'd come back. If they can convince Dalton Mcguinty to become their leader for 2015 I think that they could make substansital gains, in any event I still think they are the official opposition after the next election.

Dalton McGuinty is not all that well liked in Ontario. His record is bad and the only reason he won the last two elections is because his opposition is incompetent, much like how Harper won his majority this year.

Dalton McGuinty is not all that well liked in Ontario. His record is bad and the only reason he won the last two elections is because his opposition is incompetent, much like how Harper won his majority this year.

So Iggy was incompetent now. He was named leader of the party without a convention. :lol:

Another than Daddy Dalton who are some of the high-profile candidates the Liberals are lining up?

I didn't say anything about people being high-profile. Someone doesn't need to be high-profile to be a good leader, and the party might be better off having someone who isn't that well known. There are people within the caucus now; like David McGuinty, Dominic LeBlanc, Scott Brison, Ted Hsu, and Denis Coderre. There are defeated candidates like; Gerard Kennedy, Mark Holland, Borys Wrzesnewskyj, Martha Hall Findlay, among others. There are provincial politicians throughout the country, maybe even someone in municipal politics. Being in second place and at 28% is much better then third place and 18%.

He still managed to win, people are willing to vote for him so his record can't be too bad.

I don't think he'll successfully make the transition to the Big Leagues well.

He's on a downward trend in Ontario. He'll be damaged goods in the West. So that leaves him trying to pry away Quebec from the NDP.

Gerrard Kennedy and MH Finlay seem good because they are centrist Liberals. They of course both lost so who knows. :D

I think Bob Rae is more likable now than he was when he was Premier of Ontario as the NDP ...maybe it is because he is older and more experienced? I would never vote for my Lib MP if Mcguinty was federal leader of the Liberals ..but I did vote for my LIB MP provincially cause I wasn't given much choice between Hudak and Horwath (whatever her name is)

Whoever said the Libs were dead are idiots, they are one of the most successful political parties in the world

never count them out..they are just in a down period

Harper has 4 years to screw up big time and lose voters...which is what will happen if he keeps conducting his party as he has been doing (during question period...rewarding his crooked politicians)

Edited by olp1fan

Look who he was up against...Batshit crazy Hudak and that boring woman NDP leader

Hudak had a double digit lead on him this Summer, people were saying the NDP were poised to surpass the Liberals. The fact is people will vote for McGuinty, you can discredit the opposition all you like but still people will vote for McGuinty.

I'm not saying the guy should become leader, and I'm also not saying he has done a good job as premier but he can win.

Edited by Newfoundlander

Hudak had a double digit lead on him this Summer, people were saying the NDP were poised to surpass the Liberals. The fact is people will vote for McGuinty, you can discredit the opposition all you like but still people will vote for McGuinty.

I'm not saying the guy should become leader, and I'm also not saying he has done a good job as premier but he can win.

Hudak's platform didn't really distinguish him from McGuinty that was his biggest flaw.

LOL at anyone who thinks Bob Rae will be the next PM. I don't think he even can be because interim leaders can't run for the lead of the party.

God I'd rather vote for Dion and Ignatieff than Mcguinty as federal leader

we want the liberal party to evolve not go back to the same old men politics

we need someone young who GETS US

Edited by olp1fan

Hudak's platform didn't really distinguish him from McGuinty that was his biggest flaw.

LOL at anyone who thinks Bob Rae will be the next PM. I don't think he even can be because interim leaders can't run for the lead of the party.

If the two platforms were similar it still means that McGuinty is more popular then Hudak. Harper is not that popular so I doubt it would be hard to become more liked then him either.

There's nothing saying he cannot run, he said he would not run but he can go back on that. Sheila Copps says he should be able to run, and MPs are saying that if he decides to run he should step down as interim leader first.

If the two platforms were similar it still means that McGuinty is more popular then Hudak. Harper is not that popular so I doubt it would be hard to become more liked then him either.

There's nothing saying he cannot run, he said he would not run but he can go back on that. Sheila Copps says he should be able to run, and MPs are saying that if he decides to run he should step down as interim leader first.

Politicians who have provincial baggage should never run for federal leadership of any party

Bob Rae though looks competent right now will always be remembered for wrecking Ontario

Dalton Mcguinty will be remembered for his massive Ontario deficit

How can you win federally with their records? especially in voter rich Ontario which decides who wins?

He still managed to win, people are willing to vote for him so his record can't be too bad.

Oh me old trout! I'm a transplant from the east coast that lives in Ontario and I tell you, you couldn't have followed the Conservative campaign last Ontario election!

Tim Hudak of the Tories and his campaign team made watching paint dry look like Olympics topless womens' volleyball!

Hudak started the campaign with over a 10 point lead in the polls and successfully snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!

With no disrespect to the mentally challenged, Hudak's team of "bright young turks" would be better described as "special".

Politicians who have provincial baggage should never run for federal leadership of any party

Bob Rae though looks competent right now will always be remembered for wrecking Ontario

Dalton Mcguinty will be remembered for his massive Ontario deficit

How can you win federally with their records? especially in voter rich Ontario which decides who wins?

McGuinty has obviously had successes too. As well the economic issues that Ontario have faced might not be that hard to overcome, people are now seeing that no matter how well you govern you can still get f***ed over because of other countries. The Conservatives are saying that they may not be able to balance the budget before the next election so it's not easy to criticize McGuinty. I don't know if he's the right person or not, you're right he does have baggage and that is not good. I think they may do better having a lesser known, someone like Ted Hsu for instance who the Conservatives would have a hard time attacking.