Harper's "honouring Libya victory" propoganda event

Guest Derek L

back what up? i dislike harper why would i want to give him special powers

So it’s alright for a Liberal PM to give the army the power of civil arrest, but not PM Harper? The point is moot, since Mulroney changed the law…..

just saying IF which is 100% unlikely, no need to bunker down with your weapons cache

i aint gonna harm anybody

Why would I “bunker down”? I’m not the one suggesting the possibility of a civil war or unrest on the scale seen in the Middle East. :rolleyes:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper needs to retract his statement about genocide. There is a very specific definition for genocide according to the UN and what Ghaddafi was heading towards was not it. Indeed, he's was moving towards mass murder, the ends of which are similar. Genocide, though, has specific ramifications in international court. What happened in Libya does not meet that criteria.

People throw around that word all the time now, using it on whatever they don't like. The "criteria" for it have long since been forgotten.

Guest Derek L

since when does a hypothetical scenario represent suggesting a possibility of anything?

you might want to take your tin foil hat off

I have the tin foil hat on? :lol:

Who just said:

if Canada somehow turned into whats going on in Syria you know which side I'd fight against

Guest Derek L

where did i suggest the possibility of canada becoming like syria civil war?

if canada somehow was not to be taken as a suggested possibility.. i even said it was 100% unlikely

you are trying to start something where there is nothing

Who brought up the hypothetical scenario?

Isn't that, bringing up something where there is nothing?

Guest Derek L

This is a hypothetical scenario

if Canada somehow turned into whats going on in Syria you know which side I'd fight against

keep up derek, maybe you need to go to sleep

And to whom suggested it?

Guess so, here is a small list of conflicts that Britian has been involved with.

And while it may be true we have been involved in some of these take a look at our contributions and military size at the time, and ask your self did we pull our wieght.

India, Palestine, Malaya, Korea, Suez Canal Zone, Kenya, Cyprus, Suez 1956, Borneo, Vietnam, Aden, Radfan, Oman, Dhofar, Northern Ireland, the Falklands War, the Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo,

Take a look at our present defense pacts and take a look at how much we pay or how much we give up...do we pull our wieght not in my opinion....

Britain? Who gives a flying f*ck about "Britain?" You dishonour our fallen Canadian soldiers because you denigrate their "share" of global military operations when the price they paid was the ulitmate one.

Nothing worse than a war-mongering wannabe "army guy" who has no clue about modern Canadian military history. Your view is skewed because you lack knowledge.

"Britain" indeed. :rolleyes:

Correct. So then why automatically accuse the federal government of turning the Grey Cup into a "military victory ceremony"? Could it not have been the Grey Cup organisers who asked for the military to be involved?

No?

Harper & Mckay were there, they obviously wanted it

Edited by olp1fan

Here's the intro of an article in The Globe And Mail from Lawrence Martin, which expressed my sentiments well:

What does the Grey Cup football game have to do with the Canadian military? Not much, you say. True enough. But chalk up another public-relations triumph for the governing Conservatives. They turned the opening ceremonies of our annual sports classic into a military glorification exercise.

For our part in the NATO Libya campaign, the Defence Minister took bows on the field. A Canadian flag was spread over 40 yards. Cannons boomed.

The blending of sport and the military, with the government as the marching band, is part of the new nationalism the Conservatives are trying to instill. It is another example of how the state, under Stephen Harper’s governance, is becoming all-intrusive.

Military triumphs are now part of this new nationalism the Harper gov is trying to push. There is a lot to be proud of about Canada, but I don't think military power/equipment/operations should be what is overtly used by the state to increase Canadian nationalism. There's a lot of things to like and want to emulate about the U.S., but their level of nationalistic glorification of war isn't one of them. It's an excellent military recruitment tool though...

Shwa:

Maybe you can show me were i dishonored any of our fallen soldiers, Because i called into question our nations stand towards it's defense commitments....Your reading way to much into my post if thats what you think i'm doing...

And in case that is what your reading into my post STOP, I've never once called into question any of our soldiers contributions to any mission we have been sent on...

I've since re written my post serveral times, taking offense to you questioning my honor, loyality, integrity as a Canadain Armed Forces Soldier, i won't bring myself to that level...I've been called alot of things on this forum, and in the real world and normally let it slide , all the while considering the source.

So SHWA if you are or where a soldier i will say it was not my intention to dishonour any of our military deeds...It was my full intention to question our Nations commitment to those Missions/Operations and to our Military pacts we have signed..

I used Britain as an example because we've been on almost the same mission, my piont was for you to do some research and compare their level of commitment to ours....in fact you can use any nation really, compare their total troop numbers with how many they deployed at one time ...simple math really....and then compare ours...

Nothing worse than a war-mongering wannabe "army guy" who has no clue about modern Canadian military history. Your view is skewed because you lack knowledge.

Seems to be a theme here on this forum that any one that has served or supports the military is a WAR MONGER/ killer whatever ...but then again it's easy for anyone who has not experienced in the military or the effects of war to spew these things when he runs out of inteligent things to come up with...

.As for wannabe I've spent almost 30 years serving my country, been to almost every shit hole in the world and seen first hand what evil men can do to each other, the last thing i am is a Wannabe WAR Monger, However i do know that there is a time to carry a big stick and there is a time to swing it...

Maybe you can show me were i dishonored any of our fallen soldiers, Because i called into question our nations stand towards it's defense commitmentsI used Britain as an example because we've been on almost the same mission, my piont was for you to do some research and compare their level of commitment to ours....in fact you can use any nation really, compare their total troop numbers with how many they deployed at one time ...simple math really....and then compare ours...

Our "defense commitments" have headstones and their names are recorded 'In the Service of Canada Book of Remembrance' located in the Peace Tower in Ottawa.

Seems to be a theme here on this forum that any one that has served or supports the military is a WAR MONGER/ killer whatever ...but then again it's easy for anyone who has not experienced in the military or the effects of war to spew these things when he runs out of inteligent things to come up with...

Bullshit. When you ask when since "...korea were have we..." spilt our blood in a military adventure you either don't know what you are talking about because you lack knowledge or your just being completely disingenuous. Take your pick and spare me your hurt feelings.

As for wannabe I've spent almost 30 years serving my country, been to almost every shit hole in the world and seen first hand what evil men can do to each other, the last thing i am is a Wannabe WAR Monger, However i do know that there is a time to carry a big stick and there is a time to swing it...

Well then, obviously - and according to your own logic - in those 30 years, other than Afghanistan you have never been in a military adventure where your blood was at risk of being spilt. Question your own commitment, not Canada's.

Here's the intro of an article in The Globe And Mail from Lawrence Martin...

Lawrence Martin... Ugh.

Where does he draw the line at which "military glorification" begins? Does it rest at 6 February 2006, when Harper was appointed prime minister? If so, how does Martin classify the military involvement in Grey Cup celebrations that took place before that date? (This is, of course, accepting the doubtful assumption that the federal government forces this militaristic element onto Grey Cup organisers.)

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

Typical left , stick the soldiers back in thier box till needed again. It is disgusting the way the left treats our men and women in uniform. Just like the medak pocket, 10 years before the libs admitted our soldiers actually fight and kill when need be. You should all be ashamed.

Our "defense commitments" have headstones and their names are recorded 'In the Service of Canada Book of Remembrance' located in the Peace Tower in Ottawa.

No those headstones represent a segment of Canada's population that decided to put thier lifes were it counted....

To preserve and serve this nation because they believed in it...there commitment and sacrafice are not in question by me...but are being twisted by yourself to serve in this piontless argument of yours...

Bullshit. When you ask when since "...korea were have we..." spilt our blood in a military adventure you either don't know what you are talking about because you lack knowledge or your just being completely disingenuous. Take your pick and spare me your hurt feelings.

You still miss the piont, only because you fail to do your own research....Yes we have been involved in alot of peace keeping missions, in fact our largest peace keeping commitment has been in Yugo....back when the forces was still in the mid 80,000 we had what 2500 soldiers over there at the peak....when other nations had twice that number and 1/2 our size...in fact for the early part of my carear it was like winning the lottery tring to get on tour do to the size of our commitments....where our only commitment was Cyprus less than 700 troops, even at that time Cyprus was a beer drinking tour for the most part....And yes soldiers did die there and in other missions as well like i said it's dangerous job and alot of accidents happen, in fact 80 to 90 % were accidents. Very few died due to direct enemy action...Not that there is a difference as dead is dead and they died serving their nation. But don't come on and act that Canada is a major player on the inter national scene we spend more time trying to get out of our commitments than we do living up to them....and when we do start living up to them well that government is labeled CONS war mongers extreme....

Well then, obviously - and according to your own logic - in those 30 years, other than Afghanistan you have never been in a military adventure where your blood was at risk of being spilt. Question your own commitment, not Canada's.

What we do is a dangerous job, but if you were to take a look at the missions we have been on, and the caveats attached to them, you would see Canada has done for the last 30 years what most Euro nations are doing now in Afghanistan...avioding the hard jobs, the fighting and dieing jobs.... Take alook at NORAD and all of it's caveats, find out who pays for what....thats our own air space...Take a look at NATO, see what the other nations contribute in regards to dollars and troops....then take a look at ours....then sit back and tell me i'm full of shit....

Your Kosovo/ Bosina was a perfect example here during this mission Canada had 2 Bn sized org named CANBAT1 and CANBAT2 ,this is waht our allies called us CAN"TBAT1 and CAN'TBAT 2 because the caveats placed on us by our government would not allow us to do anything dangerous....goggle it you'll find it....

Guest Derek L

Pfft, Harper and glorifying militarism.

I am surprised none of youse mentioned the two guys carrying the Grey Cup into the stadium. Clearly a symbol of our burgeoning police state. :D

Exactly. Come to think of it, I can’t think of a major sporting event in recent memory (going back decades) that didn’t have representation from the military and/or RCMP (Or locals)……Clearly a sign of the fascist police state ;)