U.S. F-35 program could be on chopping block

olp1fan

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Sorry, what I should have said is, why doesn't Lockheed Martin just move to China and save everyone a bundle?

The actual production of aircraft, relatively speaking, is one of the cheaper costs……..It’s development and the “stuff” you put inside it that is expensive……..

Guest Derek L

and the Lockheed Martin statement that delays and shifting procurement requests will affect prices for all allies?

this reads more like the/your "broken record routine" from this threads last page discussion, hey?

Not at all…….in your article, the initial tail price will increase as production and orders are pushed back by the US Government (I pointed a few pages back, the US is reducing their order over the next few years by a handful of pre production aircraft), but their requirements, along with the international partners, have not changed and won’t effect the economies of scale later this decade.

As for the broken record reference, are you suggesting I’m on the take by LockMart?

Guest Derek L

Fair enough.

As in the article, nothing new has been said, and like the article I criticized smallc for, the author is using exuberated and factually incorrect information to make his point………..

My scepticism and disdain draws from several, abet personal, areas. Namely having served in the Air Force (And an inherit understanding of their requirements),and being formerly employed by two aerospace & defence companies (an inherent understanding of how the process works) .

Also remembering and living through the selection of our current Hornets (The aircraft being replaced by the JSF) and all the negative political axes being grinded during that time (I swear you could change the media’s dating of their current stories and transpose JSF for Hornet) and serving through (and being directly affected by) the MHP political fiasco in the late 80s and the early 90s.

You do realize that 75M is just the base aircraft cost, I hope. After all, 75M x 65 =\= $9B.

huh? From the 2 most recent linked articles:

The total price tag confirmed by Barak indicates that each plane costs about $96 million, with further expenses on training, simulators, spare parts and the building of maintenance infrastructure.

vs.
Harper’s ministers confidently predict we’ll get the full complement of 65 jets for a “fly-away price” of $5 billion, or $75 million apiece. (The true procurement cost rises to $9 billion or $140 million apiece after factoring in upgrades, weapons, training, spare parts and other essentials.)

Why don't we get the Chinese to build these stupid jets and save everyone a bundle?

Great idea! Considering China is the country that gave us poisoned pet food, lead paint on children's toys, executed a baby food factory manager because babies died...

Plus, they really aren't likely to clear any military security lists...

Great idea! Considering China is the country that gave us poisoned pet food, lead paint on children's toys, executed a baby food factory manager because babies died...

Plus, they really aren't likely to clear any military security lists...

Yup...Red China. Some rivers are red...

Google Link