Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jays season starts today.

Time to cut their losses and see if they can get a bag of pucks in a trade for Dickey. Crushed again.

Leafs looking done here. Phaneuf is gonna wear the goat horns, but they were smoke and mirrors all along.

Do you think Phaneuf can repeat again as Most Overrated Player in the NHL as voted by... the other players?

The Red Wings are a great story right now.

They beat the Big Bad Bruins last night to really help their playoff chances and put another nail in the Leafs coffin.

They're doing it without their best players too, many key injuries.

Is there any doubt that Mike Babcock is a great coach?

But those sports suck.

Without a rooting interest, I can actually watch Basketball more than Hockey, I enjoyed much of the recent March Madness NCAA tournament.

I can only watch baseball with a rooting interest.

Saying X sport sucks is so objective it's not really worth the debate. I can even watch a bit of Curling if I care who wins.

Without a rooting interest, I can actually watch Basketball more than Hockey, I enjoyed much of the recent March Madness NCAA tournament.

I can only watch baseball with a rooting interest.

Saying X sport sucks is so objective it's not really worth the debate. I can even watch a bit of Curling if I care who wins.

Of course it's subjective (I think that's what you meant, though I'd appreciate objective evidence that basketball sucks. *squeak squeak basket squeak squeak basket the other way squeak squeak foul basket basket*)

Don't get it, but then, I really only like two sports. And curling.

I think that's pretty much it for the Leafs this season.

The only think we can hope for is that signature Leafs failure... a slight spark of hope, followed by a pirhouette and... out...

I think it was... ummm... 1989...

The Leafs had *almost* made the playoffs, then went on a skid (naturally) at the end of the season so it had come down to the last game. They had to win to make the playoffs, a tie wouldn't do it. I think it was against Chicago. They took an early lead, which they blew... and Chicago tied it to go to overtime.

So we were now desperately rooting for them to win... but Todd Gill coughed up the puck in his own end, giving a Black Hawk a 1-1 with the goalie which naturally resulted in a goal.

Leafs highlights since the 1970s I can count on one hand: Lanny McDonald scoring on the Islanders to take the Leafs to the Semi-Final against Montreal in 1978 (?), Sittler's 10 point game, the Doug Gilmour years, the Battle for Ontario in the playoffs a bunch of years in a row...

I don't know if I even consider myself a fan anymore. I sure don't watch the games these days.

Still consider myself a 'diehard' fan, though, if I have followed a losing team all my life. I don't owe them anything, that's for sure.

I'd be surprised if either of them were still employed 24 hours after the Nucks go golfing after Game 82.

Gillis has failed miserably to inprove the team for a few years and deserves to get fired over the goaltending fiasco alone. His public comments on Tortorella recently were also groubds for bye bye. I suspect he knows he's dead meat and is venting while he still has somebody listening.

Tortorella failed in the most basic way: getting the most out of his players. The Nucks have some skill. Tortorella tried to impose his game of shot blocking and grinding styles instead of using what he had to best effect. You have to work to the strengths of your players, not to what you perceive as a system that works in all circumstances.

I wonder how Leafs Nation feels about paying Dion $8M next season now. How does paying Clarkson $4.75M, $5.5M and then $7M over the next 3 seasons sound?

Kessel had a good year, 5th in points sitting at 80 right now. However, $10M is still a lot of cash for a one dimensional player. It must also sting a little to see Seguin finish a few points ahead of him.

On a happier note, this is the last year that Darcy Tucker's salary will count against the cap. :)

Edited by Mighty AC

I wonder how Leafs Nation feels about paying Dion $8M next season now. How does paying Clarkson $4.75M, $5.5M and then $7M over the next 3 seasons sound?

On a happier note, this is the last year that Darcy Tucker's salary will count against the cap. :)

Dion was going to get that money anyway. Also the cap is going up. I'm more upset about Clarkson because he was a huge bust. Nonis should be fired simply for that move.

If I'm being optimistic about this, the Leafs are still a very young team, they don't need to demolished a rebuilt like the Nucks. Improvement in the D is clearly a must.

Edited by Boges