Remembrance Day Event Cancelled

Boges

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/01/remembrance-symposium-cancellation-irks-vet

The 20th anniversary of an educational Remembrance Day event is being cancelled at a west Ottawa Catholic high school after the teacher organizing it was told “no tanks or guns” are allowed in the school.

Notre Dame High School history teacher Gene Michaud sent an e-mail to friends last Friday, sadly announcing the end of the Remembrance Day Symposium — shocking many in the military community.

“There’s a huge difference between some kid with a grudge bringing a weapon that’s loaded into a school, and veterans putting on a Remembrance display with non-functioning historical replicas,” said Wayne Mac Culloch, a retired major who spent more than 40 years in the Canadian Forces, including five missions overseas.

“What we’ve got going on here is a warped perspective of no weapons in schools.”

Mac Culloch often speaks at the annual Veterans Week event, which was set for Nov. 10 this year, and says he’s astounded by the new rule.

“We’re not talking tanks — we’re talking a cargo truck, Jeep, things you or I could actually own,” he said.

“If I can drive this thing on a city street, what is the objection of the school board?”

Replicas from museums are usually brought in, “but certainly, there’s nothing that you can operate,” said Mac Culloch.

This is absolutism with no perspective. Like suspending a kid for picking up a stick and going bang. Or the former mayor of Toronto banning all hand guns because people are using illegal hand guns to kill people. Therefore people can't do Olympic target shooting in Toronto.

I'd like someone to explain to me how bringing concrete historic elements of WW2 does anything but teach students about history?

Ridiculous!

Edited by Boges

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutism with no perspective. Like suspending a kid for picking up a stick and going bang. Or the former mayor of Toronto banning all hand guns because people are using illegal hand guns to kill people. Therefore people can't do Olympic target shooting in Toronto.

I'd like sometime to explain to me how bringing concrete historic elements of WW2 does anything but teach students about history?

Ridiculous!

They are a 15 minute drive away from the Canadian War Museum where there is far more memorabilia and artefacts than just WWII.

They are a 15 minute drive away from the Canadian War Museum where there is far more memorabilia and artefacts than just WWII.

So that's the reason it was canceled? Or is that the justification you're giving it.

This has been done for 20 years. It's an opportunity for the vets to educate children.

So that's the reason it was canceled? Or is that the justification you're giving it.

This has been done for 20 years. It's an opportunity for the vets to educate children.

Well they could be better educated on a wider basis about "history" if they went to the War Museum, don't you think?

Actually, is sounds ridiculous to cancel this based on some misinterpretation of a tolerance policy, but it is one RC school in Ottawa so, really, who gives a flying f*ck? Is society coming to and end? Again? :D

As obviously ridiculous as this is, I really wonder what bringing in tanks and jeeps and other wartime paraphernalia has to do with the spirit of Remembrance Day.

That's what the troops lived, fought, and died in/with. What's next...no horses at schools either?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

As obviously ridiculous as this is, I really wonder what bringing in tanks and jeeps and other wartime paraphernalia has to do with the spirit of Remembrance Day.

There's no evidence that they brought tanks but they may have brought decommissioned weapons. But it's to illustrate the history.

Apparently kids are taken on Field Trips to Medieval Time to "Learn about History"

I think getting to see the things people used can educate kids about how things were back then. I am kind of a WW2 buff but I never realized the hell of being a nighttime bomber was until I actually got to see how cramped a Lancaster bomber was when I went the the Aviation museum last Spring.

There's no evidence that they brought tanks but they may have brought decommissioned weapons. But it's to illustrate the history.

Apparently kids are taken on Field Trips to Medieval Time to "Learn about History"

I think getting to see the things people used can educate kids about how things were back then. I am kind of a WW2 buff but I never realized the hell of being a nighttime bomber was until I actually got to see how cramped a Lancaster bomber was when I went the the Aviation museum last Spring.

They weren't allowed to land a Lancaster on your football field on Rememberance Day when you were in high school? The PC bastard school administrators!

They weren't allowed to land a Lancaster on your football field on Rememberance Day when you were in high school? The PC bastard school administrators!

I would have learned a lot from an event like this if they ever did it at my school. History teachers don't do a good job teaching about war in school.

The question is, what is the true reason it was canceled?

I would have learned a lot from an event like this if they ever did it at my school. History teachers don't do a good job teaching about war in school.

The question is, what is the true reason it was canceled?

That is a good question, so I decided to do some investigative journalism and check to see what the Ottawa Sun had to say in their version of the story. Them being closer to the action and all. Here is what I found:

An Ottawa Catholic School Board spokeswoman downplayed the cancellation, chalking it up to a decision made by an internal committee.

The committee decided they wanted to change direction of the symposium, said Lauren Rocque.

The co-ordinator, he didnt like the way that it was going, so he resigned.

Rocque said she doesnt know the mans name or when he stepped down.

Michaud tried taking the event to a public school but also got rejected.

We do not allow weapons in our schools for any reason, said Ottawa Carleton District School Board spokeswoman Sharlene Hunter.

Ministry of education spokesman Gary Wheeler says schools are obligated to hold Remembrance Day services, but decisions relating to what type of items are to be brought onto school property fall within the discretion of the school board.

No guns means no guns I guess. Damned PC academics and their precise use of language!

Although I did find this curious:

Mac Culloch isnt impressed with either board.

If those in our education system cant make the distinction, I personally would have to question their professionalism, he said.

If were going to misrepresent our history, what lessons are we really going to learn?

So by not allowing such a display, we are somehow 'misrepresenting our history?' Oh-oh... :o

Edited by Shwa

The No Guns issues was addressed in the first post. :rolleyes:

But of course bringing a historic relic of the most important portion of the 20th century and bringing in a loaded gat to shoot classmates is the exact same thing. :lol:

It's cool to take a kid to a museum but if people are willing to volunteer their time to take the museum to the school that's wrong?

I also heard part of the decision was to be sensitive to children from war-torn countries that might find such a display upsetting.

A display like this is supposed to be upsetting.

Edited by Boges

The No Guns issues was addressed in the first post. :rolleyes:

But of course bringing a historic relic of the most important portion of the 20th century and bringing in a loaded gat to shoot classmates is the exact same thing. :lol:

It's cool to take a kid to a museum but if people are willing to volunteer their time to take the museum to the school that's wrong?

I also heard part of the decision was to be sensitive to children from war-torn countries that might find such a display upsetting.

A display like this is supposed to be upsetting.

You "heard" about other reasons other than the no-guns policy? Where did you hear this??

Hey, I agree with you more or less. There can be no amount of traumatizing we shouldn't subject our kids too, you know, to upset them enough not war among one another when they grow up. Especially those German kids. One day a peaceful little Uter munching on his globeschlopsicle, the next day a Nazi overlord...

Is there a no knife ban at the RC school board in Ottawa?

I can hazard a guess there are no tanks in the cafeteria though.

You've highlighted the idea that there should be some flexibility in school rules. I'm sure there are knives at the cafeteria but you'd be in trouble if you brought a 6 inch hunting knife to school.

And again there were no tanks, just supply vehicles and jeeps. But as a side note. Many small town cenotaph's have old Howitzers on display. Are these also not acceptable?

This event has been going on for 19 years with no complaints. Exactly what about this thing is offensive to anyone?

Edited by Boges

Interesting place this high school in Ottawa, Ontariario. The Catholic School Board has a code of conduct that just bans weapons in general, not guns. Ironic that this school has a strict uniform clothing policy, just like the military!

http://www.ottawacatholicschools.ca/media.php?mid=51945

The Sun needed to fulfill it's outrage component, I guess. But I'm guessing here... I don't "know" why they published this. Just like nobody "knows" that Political Correctness had anything to do with this decision, versus plain old bureaucratic posterior covering.

I'm not sure where that molehill went, and what's this mountain ?

The Sun needed to fulfill it's outrage component, I guess. But I'm guessing here... I don't "know" why they published this. Just like nobody "knows" that Political Correctness had anything to do with this decision, versus plain old bureaucratic posterior covering.

I'm not sure where that molehill went, and what's this mountain ?

That's what I was thinking. They had run out of breathless entertainment stories to plaster their homepage with, so they went a-digging.

Interesting place this high school in Ottawa, Ontariario. The Catholic School Board has a code of conduct that just bans weapons in general, not guns. Ironic that this school has a strict uniform clothing policy, just like the military!

They do, although some of the girls skirts are of a scandalous length. Damned PC RC's and their mini-skirted minions!

This is just another example of the wussifiaction of our society. It's pretty pathetic.

You're right. We should arm children - maybe not with guys, but with brass knuckles, small billyclubs and boa knives in order to make them all more manly.

I believe I have accurately restated your point here.

You're right. We should arm children - maybe not with guys, but with brass knuckles, small billyclubs and boa knives in order to make them all more manly.

I believe I have accurately restated your point here.

Come on now Michael, there is no need for that. Besides, everyone knows that to accurately restate Shady's 'points' you would have to start with your index finger moving up and down between your lips and make a babbling noise.