Do you play a musical instrument?

Moonlight Graham

Still learning guitar and bass... though still not very good. Didn't practice much over the summer. :(

-k

I picked up my bass last night after a few months .. mainly use it to hammer out some simple bassline for a new track. My fingers were completely retarded and it was a little tough.

It's tiring and frustrating at times, but that one moment where you hit everything right makes it all worth it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play both piano and drum. Played drum since I was a kid and pretty good at it.

What, at the same time?

Sits on the piano, jumping up often enough for the keys to play, while the "wind" section was played by escaping sulfurous gases. He would play drums the usual way, jumping around enough to keep the piano playing with his rump.

(Just kidding)

Those that do play instruments, how long you been playing and what do you consider your skill level at? I find it interesting to see how people gauge themselves on their abilities.

Another good question is how much time per week do you play?

Intermediate at guitar. I pick up my guitar everyday and fiddle around just to have something to do while watching tv. I probably get in a few hours per week. If I jam with buddies once a week then add an extra 3-4 hours.

Guest American Woman

Guess I'm the only one who plays the violin. Should make that 'played,' as I haven't picked it up in years and don't know how well I'd be able to play these days. Still pluck away at the piano on occasion. As for wishes, I wish I could play the cello - such a beautiful instrument.

Edited by American Woman

Sits on the piano, jumping up often enough for the keys to play, while the "wind" section was played by escaping sulfurous gases. He would play drums the usual way, jumping around enough to keep the piano playing with his rump.

(Just kidding)

Wow! You seem to have some experience in this area with vivid imagination. Care to share with us your expertise?

(Not kidding)

Edited by kactus

Guess I'm the only one who plays the violin. Should make that 'played,' as I haven't picked it up in years and don't know how well I'd be able to play these days. Still pluck away at the piano on occasion. As for wishes, I wish I could play the cello - such a beautiful instrument.

Played the cello in school...Also played the clarinet and sax in school...Gramps played clarinet and sax in big bands around Southern Ontario in the '30's and '40's...

Guest American Woman

Played the cello in school...Also played the clarinet and sax in school...Gramps played clarinet and sax in big bands around Southern Ontario in the '30's and '40's...

Cool! :) And must have been an awesome time for your Gramps! - Love the Big Band era.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Besides the meat-flute or rusty trumpet?

I play guitar, electric and acoustic. Mostly anything rock-based. Hard rock/metal/alt/indie/classic rock...whatever, classical guitar is also sweet.

Been playing for about 5-6 years. Never had a gig, just jam with buddies.

I'd also love to learn the cello.

Yep, I play the piano, can literally go nuts (in the good way)...I like jazz, opera - classical music is beautiful. the trouble with playing too deep music you can detect "bad" pieces and then really go nuts - the bad way. Yesterday at the Olympics closing - the opening music by Scott was that kind of music that really did not reconcile and ended...gave me a headache

• 1 month later...

ive played piano since i was 3 or 4 years old my parents forced me into it and i hated it.

when i hit high school, i switched to drums/percussion and loved it. Now i thank my parents for making me play, because it gave me a lot of musical knowledge and i was able to pick up percussion easily.

Now im in a band, we play local bars and shows, make a lil bit of money and have a lot of fun! thanks mom and dad <3

Do you play a musical instrument?

I used to flat-pick bluegrass on guitar and I was getting fairly good at it too but fishing and logging is kinda hard on the old claws. In addition to blisters on my fingers I had jagger and leader cuts. They look more like gnarly misshapen sausages than anything now.

Guitar, badly. But I just treated myself to a Larivee, and I'm looking for lessons... :)

Yeah that's a nice guitar, from BC I believe and is it an acoustic?

I've played guitar for... 35 years now! It's an old hobby. :)

I play piano and drums a bit too. And I am learning a new instrument nowadays- the banjo!

:)

Yeah that's a nice guitar, from BC I believe and is it an acoustic?

I've played guitar for... 35 years now! It's an old hobby. :)

I play piano and drums a bit too. And I am learning a new instrument nowadays- the banjo!

:)

It's an acoustic, yes. From Vancouver.

I played a classical guitar on and off for years, and now my fingers are complaining bitterly. They don't like steel strings.

I'd be interested to hear how quickly you pick up the banjo, having played guitar for so long.

Even if you only play a couple tunes, chicks dig it. Also learning to play an instrument is better than watching tv.

As a musician I never thought of it as something to attract the chicks with. The desire to be "musical" comes from within.

But yes, it is very good for exercising the brain. I play to maintain my menatl acuity...

As a musician I never thought of it as something to attract the chicks with. The desire to be "musical" comes from within.

But yes, it is very good for exercising the brain. I play to maintain my menatl acuity...

I never did the DJ gigs to get the ladies myself. I did it because I loved it, and still love it. I try to do a mix a couple times a week. Also in the market to buy a new bass guitar, the starter one I had is not cutting it anymore.

And yes awesome exercise for the brain. After producing electro/house for the past few years I have a new appreciation for producers. Getting a good track down is hard, making it SOUND good is another challenge altogether.

ive played piano since i was 3 or 4 years old my parents forced me into it and i hated it.

when i hit high school, i switched to drums/percussion and loved it. Now i thank my parents for making me play, because it gave me a lot of musical knowledge and i was able to pick up percussion easily.

Now im in a band, we play local bars and shows, make a lil bit of money and have a lot of fun! thanks mom and dad <3

I'm one of those parents...I started wyly jr. in guitar when he was 9 (12 now), he attempts to sneak out of daily practice but we don't let him get away with it, we double his time the next day and it's paying off he's into some technically advanced lessons now and improving quickly...once he realizes that the ladies like guitar players I won't have any problems getting to practice, at the moment he's more interested in x-box than ladies but that'll change...he's not into sports so I don't mind spending the cash on equipment I have his 2nd custom build guitar on order right now...

I guess I'm living my life again through him I regret not sticking with my music lessons when I was his age...

I'm one of those parents...I started wyly jr. in guitar when he was 9 (12 now), he attempts to sneak out of daily practice but we don't let him get away with it, we double his time the next day and it's paying off he's into some technically advanced lessons now and improving quickly...once he realizes that the ladies like guitar players I won't have any problems getting to practice, at the moment he's more interested in x-box than ladies but that'll change...he's not into sports so I don't mind spending the cash on equipment I have his 2nd custom build guitar on order right now...

I guess I'm living my life again through him I regret not sticking with my music lessons when I was his age...

Maybe get him to play 'Guitar Hero' for the Xbawcks.

Also because of this thread, I went to my fave music store in Ottawa to check out some bass guitars ... might upgrade to a 5 string bass... still wont improve my ability to play :D, but I can fake it.

Edited by GostHacked

Maybe get him to play 'Guitar Hero' for the Xbawcks.

Also because of this thread, I went to my fave music store in Ottawa to check out some bass guitars ... might upgrade to a 5 string bass... still wont improve my ability to play :D, but I can fake it.

he's got guitar hero too far removed from a real guitar he said, then i bought him Rock Smith, and he plugs his real guitar into the xbox and he doesn't like that either...xbox is only for call of duty, halo and zombie games apparently :rolleyes: ...

I take comfort in that Clapton and Hendrix didn't really start playing until they were 15 or 16 so Jr is much further ahead technically than they were at his age... not that I expect Jr ever be famous but it's fantastic rewarding gift if you can play music well, and impressing the ladies has it's rewards as well :D ...

Damn I knew one of these drippy feeling sponge heads would get all touchy feely on us...lol.