Occupy Wall Street Sept 17 2011

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolling Stone weighs in ...

There is a huge number of Americans who simply don't realize that they've been victimized by Wall Street – that they've paid inflated commodity prices due to irresponsible speculation and manipulation, seen their home values depressed by corruption in the mortgage markets, subsidized banker bonuses with their tax dollars and/or been forced to pay usurious interest rates for consumer credit, among other things

I would imagine the end game of any movement against Wall Street corruption is going to involve some very elaborate organization. There are going to have to be consumer and investor boycotts, shareholder revolts, criminal prosecutions, new laws passed, and other moves. But a good first step is making people aware of the battle lines. It sounds like these demonstrations have that potential. Anyway, I'm going to check them out tomorrow.

http://m.rollingstone.com/?redirurl=/politics/blogs/taibblog/occupy-wall-street-drawing-the-battle-lines-20110927

Edited by jacee

So they want to try this in Toronto.

Who wants to bet that CUPE is going to lead the rallying cry for Occupy Bay Street?

Which is hilarious that public service unions who are among the more privileged people in this country would protest.

The people who really should protest are too busy working.

I understand why they're doing it in the US where poverty and unemployment are far more systematic as well as the fact that the Super Rich have far more influence. Not so much here.

I've heard about it over the weekend that they want to bring this to Bay Street in Toronto as well. But don't think that we up in Canada are in better shape than those south of the 49th. Most financial systems seem to be crumbling right in front of our eyes.

Interesting times.

....I understand why they're doing it in the US where poverty and unemployment are far more systematic as well as the fact that the Super Rich have far more influence. Not so much here.

Depends on how it's measured...being on EI isn't exactly an emloyement program. Historically, Canadian unemployment rates were greater in Canada than the US, and Canadian workers remain less productive than workers in the USA. Canada has no official poverty stats because it can't agree on how to measure such things, however this does not make the poverty in Canada go away.

Depends on how it's measured...being on EI isn't exactly an emloyement program. Historically, Canadian unemployment rates were greater in Canada than the US, and Canadian workers remain less productive than workers in the USA. Canada has no official poverty stats because it can't agree on how to measure such things, however this does not make the poverty in Canada go away.

We keep our poverty very private. We stick them in run down hotels - give them all the drugs they want - tnen at night around pay day - and ambulance comes and quietly takes them away - one at a time feet first.

Anyone seen the interviews with these protesters? They're definitely not the sharpest tools in the shed!

You can tell by looking at them that they are equipped with I-pods and are listening to Judy Collins and Led Zeplin - odd..how young people embrace the romaitc notions of a by-gone era...I know a jazz guitarist that is about 24 years old - He dressess exactly like it was 1967...bizarre. Well not as strange as the guy on my street who has died black hair and dresses like Elvis...so are caught in a time warp - a loop with the same tune playing over and over again. I don`t respect dellusionary revolutionaries...all the hippy movement did was open the door to the ecceptance of the dumping of personal responsilbity - all the movement did was allow the evil folks to take over - while the long hairs rolled down the meadow hills with their skirts flaring ---and crying out - weeeeeeee.

occupy bay street

Canada Occupy Calgary Occupy Montrea Occupy Newfoundland Occupy Nova Scotia Occupy Ottawa Occupy Toronto Market Exchange Occupy Vancouver Occupy Victoria

Europe goes out Oct 15.

And Canada

It looks like over 100 US cities out now

See list here ...

http://www.occupytogether.org/

And update ...

We urge members of the NYPD to remain in solidarity with our cause. These men and women could lose their pensions and benefits during the next round of budget cuts. We ask that members of the NYPD treat all peaceful human beings with respect and care. This will be a great step towards reclaiming power for the working class. Those who profit off the suffering of others will held accountable. We are the 99%, and we are too big to fail. Tonight we march on One Police Plaza.

Edited by jacee

Canada Occupy Calgary Occupy Montrea Occupy Newfoundland Occupy Nova Scotia Occupy Ottawa Occupy Toronto Market Exchange Occupy Vancouver Occupy Victoria

Europe goes out Oct 15.

And Canada

Wow...that's more American wannabes than I thought...organized by American mainstream social media. Isn't America a wonderful country!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Great Article

The Best Among Us - By Chris Hedges

There are no excuses left. Either you join the revolt taking place on Wall Street and in the financial districts of other cities across the country or you stand on the wrong side of history. Either you obstruct, in the only form left to us, which is civil disobedience, the plundering by the criminal class on Wall Street and accelerated destruction of the ecosystem that sustains the human species, or become the passive enabler of a monstrous evil. Either you taste, feel and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. Either you are a rebel or a slave.

Wow...that's more American wannabes than I thought...organized by American mainstream social media. Isn't America a wonderful country!

Stop bragging - American soical media and media in general are great force for passification of twits - They give them the encouragement and the right and the media coverage to make them feel that they are actually winning some groud - all the protestors will get in the end is a pat on the head and told they are free ----cos as the song says - money`s to tight to mention.

I agree, but look how much the "world" laps this stuff up....from YouTube to Twitter. It's very odd...America Sucks! except for all the things they like about it.

Do they think that the people in the towers on Wall and Bay Street are going to start dumping buckets of cash on their hippy heads..........The only way you can get the ultra rich to cough up the cash is by force - which is a futile idea - cos once you have taken the money via revolution - or a type of civil war - the very system that generates the money will be destroyed - and this will guarentee future poverty for all --------------great plan...lol