Occupy Wall Street Sept 17 2011

" Our Mission On the 17th of On the 17th of see 20,000 people to Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peacefu barricades and occupy Wall Street for a few months. Once there, we shall incessantly repeat one simple demand for change in a plurality of voices, following the example set by our Egyptian brothers and sisters in Tahrir Square. change in a plurality of voices, following the example set by our Egyptian brothers and sisters in Tahrir Square. voices, following the voices, following the example set by our Egyptian brothers and Egyptian brothers and sisters in Tahrir Square. The time has come to deploy this emerging deploy this emerging stratagem against the greatest corrupter of our democracy: Wall Street, democracy: Wall Street, the financial Gomorrah the financial Gomorrah DEMOCRACY NOT CORPORATOCRACY!"

The youth of AMERICA add their voices to those of the middle east and europe. Democracy not corporatocracy ... has a good ring to it. #occupybaystreet is in the works too, and other Canadian cities.

Edited by jacee

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anne Coulter argued in her latest book that America's Democratic Party - and I suppose the Western Left in general - are essentially a Mob.

The OP provides graphic evidence of this thesis.

Mob behaviour is terrifying. If one looks at history, Mobs have achieved little if anything.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Abraham Lincoln

I think I know what side of yellow you sit on.

....The youth of AMERICA add their voices to those of the middle east and europe. Democracy not corporatocracy ... has a good ring to it. #occupybaystreet is in the works too, and other 9anadian cities.

The youth of America care more about iPads, iPods, and iPhones...straight from Apple.

Anne Coulter argued in her latest book that America's Democratic Party - and I suppose the Western Left in general - are essentially a Mob.

The OP provides graphic evidence of this thesis.

Mob behaviour is terrifying. If one looks at history, Mobs have achieved little if anything.

Boston Tea Party, French Revolution, October Revolution...

I cant say I blame any that wants to protest wall street, their crashing of the economy, and subsequent suckage of a trillion dollars in various bailouts,etc.

I hope its peaceful though. The average guys that would probably get caught in the middle of that stuff are not the folks that engineered all this ass-rapage.

Hmm, wonder if that will make the markets go down that day. Maybe I'll buy a couple SPY puts :)

Oh hell yea. You can be sure that financial companies will even be short selling their OWN products, at the exact same time theyre telling customers about how great they are and why they should buy them.

Oh hell yea. You can be sure that financial companies will even be short selling their OWN products, at the exact same time theyre telling customers about how great they are and why they should buy them.

Yeah that's why I manage my investments myself rather than handing them over to some "money manager". Doing pretty good so far, although any idiot could have done well over the past 2 years with the bull market. Real test is coming up I guess.

Yeah that's why I manage my investments myself rather than handing them over to some "money manager". Doing pretty good so far, although any idiot could have done well over the past 2 years with the bull market. Real test is coming up I guess.

I quit. I had the bulk of my nest egg invested in the markets for about the last ten years. I made pretty good money self directing my investments the same way that you are but it was too much work. I took the money out and bought what I figured was a fairly recession proof brick and mortar business, and hired a good guy to run it. Iv made around 15% on my money in the last two years which is decent considering the economy hasnt been great, and the business is probably worth about twice what it cost me to set it up. Mind you... i dumped a fair bit of my time into it especially in the first year.

I quit. I had the bulk of my nest egg invested in the markets for about the last ten years. I made pretty good money self directing my investments the same way that you are but it was too much work. I took the money out and bought what I figured was a fairly recession proof brick and mortar business, and hired a good guy to run it. Iv made around 15% on my money in the last two years which is decent considering the economy hasnt been great, and the business is probably worth about twice what it cost me to set it up. Mind you... i dumped a fair bit of my time into it especially in the first year.

That's not really quitting the markets. You just decided to invest 100% in one small cap. A very risky strategy, with potentially high returns. But a business can go under too.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Abraham Lincoln

Never heard that quote before, although I have to admit it is a good one.

However, part of that quote involves the phrase "When they should"... There truly are injustices in the world where people should rise up. The question is whether demanding "Wall street get democratized" is one of them.

Not sure what exactly they hope to accomplish.... replace the free market/capitalist system with a communist one? And while its easy to criticize the "greedy capitalist system", ultimately the free market system (and Wallstreet) is based on freedom... people have the option to buy/sell stocks, purchase products from companies, and even if that freedom is based on something as 'crass' as money, you'll still need a good reason to curtail that freedom.

" Our Mission On the 17th of On the 17th of see 20,000 people to Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peacefu barricades and occupy Wall Street for a few months. Once there, we shall incessantly repeat one simple demand for change in a plurality of voices, following the example set by our Egyptian brothers and sisters in Tahrir Square. change in a plurality of voices, following the example set by our Egyptian brothers and sisters in Tahrir Square. voices, following the voices, following the example set by our Egyptian brothers and Egyptian brothers and sisters in Tahrir Square. The time has come to deploy this emerging deploy this emerging stratagem against the greatest corrupter of our democracy: Wall Street, democracy: Wall Street, the financial Gomorrah the financial Gomorrah DEMOCRACY NOT CORPORATOCRACY!"

The youth of AMERICA add their voices to those of the middle east and europe. Democracy not corporatocracy ... has a good ring to it. #occupybaystreet is in the works too, and other Canadian cities.

Just don't break or smash anything and you have my okay - be good.

Coulter explained carefully the difference between the Boston Tea Party and Robespierre. As I recently had to explain to some one younger, the FLQ killed cleaners - by putting bombs in mail boxes. (Why? They carried Royal Mail.)

According to Coulter, the FLQ was a mob. But the Boston Tea Party was not. She has a point.

----

First hand, I have seen both mobs and organized groups face dictatorship/tyranny. Mobs are terrifying, organized groups less so. I was surprised to see an American (Coulter) make the distinction.

Edited by August1991

All mobs are comprised of people of moderate intelligence. Those that control mobs or "protestors" are slightly smarter. Then those that come up with the motivational ideas to fuel the movement of the mass are even smarter people ...usually a group of only a few people who are slightly sinister. THEN when they have a mob "protest" that swells to a huge mass of average Joes...they deploy them and always use violence as a means of achieving an ideal that the average mobster can not even grasp. Finally once the MOB "protest" is large enough - the swarming dupes will do the bidding of their sinister handlers...which is to destroy - jail or kill ...those that the sinister consider competition. This is called revolution - It is when one sinister group ousts the established sinister group - In the end the common dupe wakes up and walks away singing "Here is the new boss - same as the old boss" - Revolution is a disease or injury that is hard to recover from - a total waste of time -life and effort.

Youth are getting killed in the Middle East for daring to protest the dictator puppets of Big OIL.

Youth in Canada and the US know it's Big OIL that pays for the guns that are doing the killing.

In Canada we taxpaying dupes of the corporatocracy subsidize Big OIL (sands) to the tune of over $2b per year.

So what do we do ... ignore the fact that we are paying for the bullets that are killing young people?

I'm no 'youth', but I understand the feeling that we have to own up to our role in the Middle East.

Kids are dying for protesting. Barring some crazy with a gun, it's unlikely anyone will die in these anti-corporate protests, but if the hired guncops that we pay to protect and serve us get slap happy again, thinking they work to protect Big OIL against us ... then things could get hairy.

Youth are getting killed in the Middle East for daring to protest the dictator puppets of Big OIL.

Youth in Canada and the US know it's Big OIL that pays for the guns that are doing the killing....

Then why do those same "youth" buy iStuff from Apple, now the largest cap in the world (more than any oil company)? Or any of the other consumer goods from cars to cheap clothing made around the world and possible in no small part because of Big Oil?

Youth also helps to pay for the guns. And so do you....

Edited by bush_cheney2004

One out of three is really not a very good record.

The French Revolution brought unprecedented savagery, the guillotine and inevitably, Napoleon.

The October Revolution brought Lenin, Stalin and - again - unprecedented savagery, the Gulag, collectivization of producing farms resulting in hunger and starvation, untold millions of victims in the Soviet Unions and more in occupied Europe, after the biggest crook in American history, the mental and physical cripple decided to suck on Uncle Joe Stalin's gonads.

The French and the Russians were undisciplined, uneducated mob. The results of their actions speak for themselves.

The Tea Party and the American Revolution were guided by Judeo-Christian values, and their results are indisputable.

One out of three is really not a very good record.

Nonetheless, your point that mobs don't achieve anything is thus refuted, but it's not that interesting a discussion.

One could argue that the masses now have political power so that popular unrest is channeled through that system. The new Tea Party is a kind of mob mentality to my mind, and they're doing pretty well.

Then why do those same "youth" buy iStuff from Apple, now the largest cap in the world (more than any oil company)? Or any of the other consumer goods from cars to cheap clothing made around the world and possible in no small part because of Big Oil?

Youth also helps to pay for the guns. And so do you....

They are not the youth who protest.

Yes I'm aware that we all pay for those guns and bullets.

Nonetheless, your point that mobs don't achieve anything is thus refuted, but it's not that interesting a discussion.

One could argue that the masses now have political power so that popular unrest is channeled through that system. The new Tea Party is a kind of mob mentality to my mind, and they're doing pretty well.

Two monarchies and associated aristocracies were taken down. How long were they there? How long does it take for democracy to settle? (Only long enough for the new aristocracies - corporate oligarchies to corrupt them.

Now it's time for more revolutions to get out from under them.

Real consensual participatory direct democracies are very slow and messy. May take hundreds of years to settle. Do we have the time?