Occupy Wall Street Sept 17 2011

Touche...like I've said before, you should write for television. Toyota is running a series of clever ads that employ your very point...kids living in an online world while their boomer parents enjoy reality. I guess that sells cars.

All I know is that when my kid doesn't do his chores, a simple loss of power to the cable modem and router brings instant compliance. He may think I am a dick now, but he will understand later.

Funny back in olden times ----eons ago....If my dad thought we were watching to many episodes of Car 54 - the old black and white would turn to snow ---- Pops would yank out a tube and go hide it... Now here is a good one for you - My youngest son dates a girl from Chile...here mother was Spanish and she herself is insanely jealous - She is for ever braking into my kids Face Book page and telling any female "friends" to get lost...she is fanatical about what takes place in cyber space - I had to take her aside one day and say "Mariana...face book is not real - this (pointing to the floor) is real" -she still does not get it ...and constantly goes crazy by what she views on the screen....it's actually very pitiful....that their real social lives are fading and the artifical one has taken over........I also said to her - My boy can not have sex with the screen - so he is NOT cheating on you - to para phrase.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

These poor bastards are trying to find a cause but won't give anything up to achieve it.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

They go around with all of their electronic conveniences, hitting McD's et al when needed, chowing down on free pizza, as they in effect give free advertisement to the very establishments they are protesting. I heard one protester complain because she has student loans. How terribly sad. Mostly, though, it sounds as if those joining in have the mindset of coming late to a party. I don't take anyone who has this much time to protest seriously. They've made their point. Now it's time to get back to the Real World of trying to make changes in their own lives - ie: find jobs. If they aren't smart enough to realize that they've already made as much of a point - as much of a difference - as they are going to make no matter how long they drag this on, it might explain why they are unemployed. As the money for donations to feed them pizzas keeps coming in, I can't help but think of the truly hungry people that those donations could be helping feed.

These wingnut protesters have some pretty ludicrous demands. Free college education and a $20 dollar per hour minimum wage. :rolleyes:

So ridiculous that Gadaffi was able to provide state paid education even at the university level for all citizens. As an example, of contrast I guess.

Not at all....remember....there were millions protesting the Iraq War around the world and it amounted to squat. "Occupy Wall Street" is just a glorified flash mob organized by social media that is already co-opted by corporations. This "movement" has no soul and no passion to compare to Vietnam War protests or the American civil rights movement. These poor bastards are trying to find a cause but won't give anything up to achieve it. Good luck kids...

Ahh ... I see you are riled and nervous. Good.:)

When a person changes for the better - eveyone they touch will also change - like charity - It begins at home.....as that guy said - Faith is like a tiny mustard seed....it grows into a full bush where many birds can happily perch....You can not through force of will change others - society does change - one person at a time - I know a rock band with a great name "single file to freedom" - that says it all - you rule by example - not by intimidation - what good does it to to intimidate a corporation that intimidates you...it's called a never ending struggle - who needs that?

Ahh ... I see you are riled and nervous. Good.:)

He's not nervous - anymore that a homo-phobe is fearful...some things - some people just find useless and unpleasant - when has armed conflict or un-armed protestation accomplished anything lasting - One over throws the other and the other over throws them back - It's a vicious cycle.....YOUTH seem to think that they have all the answers - so did the old at one time - welcome to the club of eternal disappointment.

Funny back in olden times ----eons ago....If my dad thought we were watching to many episodes of Car 54 - the old black and white would turn to snow ---- Pops would yank out a tube and go hide it...

I just love that story, as I can relate to vacuum tubes. There used to be tube testers in stores where you would set some dials, heat 'em up, and hope for the best. Tubes (or valves in the UK) are/were real, and you had to take care of them like pets until they died. I think the Russians and Poles still make them.

These wingnut protesters have some pretty ludicrous demands. Free college education and a $20 dollar per hour minimum wage. :rolleyes:

There is international research indicating that free postsecondary education is very effective in preventing unemployment and related social problems (eg, protests, riots :) ) by ensuring that all capable students get that opportunity: Results indicated that there was no difference in achievement (grades, graduation rates) between students who could and could not afford it, when all were given the opportunity to attend.

You can't have a family and live on $1400/mo. Even a single person would have difficulty, and these students have massive education debts. (Is postsecondary education supposed to be only for the wealthy?)

At that minimum wage, families are better off on welfare.

Is that what you're aiming for?

I just love that story, as I can relate to vacuum tubes. There used to be tube testers in stores where you would set some dials, heat 'em up, and hope for the best. Tubes (or valves in the UK) are/were real, and you had to take care of them like pets until they died. I think the Russians and Poles still make them.

Guitar players still look for tube amps...they say they have a "warmer" sound. Like turn tables - the kids are re-discovering dis recordings...------------yah - tubes if you took one out you would wrap it like a baby in swaddling clothes....there was a mystery to them - the blue glow..that made you wonder how they worked...and of course they practiced self defence - If you touched one it would burn you.. Now back to face book....I hate the thing - and wish I could remember my pass word to get rid of it....do I really want to hear about Crystals new apartment in New York....I will never meet dear Crystal - and the people who are on face book who live around the corner - I never see them....out side....NEVER...

The old protestors believed in something - if they did not agree with a war and there was a draft - some would do the time behind bars. These young upstarts will do the time at the bar talking big but not willing to put it on the line - main problem is no one knows where the line is - let alone the battle line. What do they expect - rich people hand over their money? Not going to happen.

A lot of us "old protesters" are retired now, still activists, and some are on Wall Street. We're very impressed by these young people and they have our full support, financially (as we are able) and in spirit. We follow their lead.

Why would I be nervous? I suspect you want this to be an attention getter, for all the wrong reasons. Maybe we could get you a YouTube hit counter.

Used the same approach to radio talk show hosts when I was bored -----eg...`I.ve got you on that one Michael - oh yes I have and you can`t squirm away ----------------talk show guy: `no you don`t -----------Me ooooh yes I do` The host would fall apart...mean while I was not winning the debate - just stating that I was..which is what this guy just said to you - thinking or stating something does not make it manifest into reality....like saying that Munroe has come out of the crip and is going to kiss me - simply NOT going to happen...

tubes if you took one out you would wrap it like a baby in swaddling clothes....

I would put each one in a separate sock, then bagged them up for a trip to the tester on my bike. The store owners never gave me any grief...good kid...testing his tubes!

... Now back to face book....I hate the thing - and wish I could remember my pass word to get rid of it....

I never took the bait...knew those sites were trouble from the 'git go. It reminded me of bathroom writing back in junior high school. Here I came to sit and think, but all I could do was (blank) and stink!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The guarentee of secure future through education no longer exists...better to butter up to Uncle Charely and get into the family buisness...nothing wrong with pouring concrete and making an honest dollar...not everyone can be the top dog - the top dog positions are all filled up...gotta wait for the big dog to die - and that could take a long long time - the big dogs say like Dick Cheney have access not just to health care - but to life extension - have fun waiting....or go out and build something - heaven forbid you use your hands .

Ya, like you did, right?

Guest American Woman

So ridiculous that Gadaffi was able to provide state paid education even at the university level for all citizens. As an example, of contrast I guess.

Isn't he the guy who was just swept from power by the masses? <_< Pretty odd example on your part ......

Yep....even NPR regulars were laughing at their list of demands. If these be mostly millennials, they see the big squeeze coming and they are gonna miss out on the gravy train of the past. That's why they are protesting, not because of any fundamental problem with capitalism or corporatism.

I almost feel sorry for them...like a game of musical chairs....the music has stopped and they don't have a chair.

"NPR" ??

Ya, like you did, right?

It did not matter much in the long run - the rest of my family - got degrees --- they did well - materially ---- but in the end - My millionare brother`s son killed himself - My careerist sister aborted all of her kids - and now is some sad old lady living alone - NO - the great promise of liberation and success through formal conditioning might not be all that it is cracked up to be --- as for me - I had a lot of fun...I worked phyiscally at times - and other times got paid for doing what I enjoyed ------------ It all gets down to freedom - but there is a price to be paid - Like poverty in the end....some can make the best of it - and others can not...I am a suvivor....education does not ensure survival.

They think "protesting" against corporatism can be done with an iPhone, iPad, and $6 gourmet coffee in hand. Social, political, or economic change means that something has to actually change. Methinks these people actually believe that as long as they appear in a YouTube video, they are making such a change. I would have more respect for a tagger with a can of spray paint.

:D

Your dissing and denial is the best confirmation that you are nervous.

Thanks for making my day!

When did that change happen....my own kid is a slacker that way as well. Illegals will break their backs just for a shot at the dream, while these spoiled punks think reality is making it with American Idol or Facebook.

Gee ... I guess your approach doesn't work. :)

Guest American Woman

Your dissing and denial is the best confirmation that you are nervous.

Thanks for making my day!

Nervous about what? That's a serious question. What do you think anyone has to be nervous about? What exactly are the protesters even hoping to change/accomplish? I've never read any accounts of any interviews where the protesters can actually answer those questions. They seriously come across as engaged in a huge party, IMO. Free pizza included.

You have got that right - I see young people tied to face book to the point that the high-def screen is reality and reality is just some bothersome thing you strol through on your way to buy a gram of pot. You know and I know - that what we are doing here for instance is entertainment...It is not the real world....the only way you create change is face to face - flesh on flesh - eye to eye...cos - all that is going to happen to these protestors is that some corporate bureacrate will press the IGNORE button.

They wish! :lol:

Hey, it's his/their lives...I understand the intrinsic value and work ethic of mixing concrete by hand, but he wasn't interested. So now he will have to pay somebody else to do it, and the same thing applies to fixing his car, or stopping a leaking sink or toilet. I will die happy with dirty hands.

Isn't he the guy who was just swept from power by the masses? <_< Pretty odd example on your part ......

Do with it as you will. Libyans also experienced state paid health care, as well as state paid education. Their standard of living was increased with the Aquifer project, all paid for by the profits from oil. Libya was leading the way with a new gold standard for oil in Africa. But this is another topic all together.

No approach works - kids - young adults..and so on are going to do what they are going to do no matter what....be a control freak such as myself and learn - that letting nature take it`s course is ultimately the way to go - I can`t save the world - let alone my offspring - let alone myself....now back to Occpation of buisness districts....all it will do is make the high and mighty feel even MORE important - The BAY STREET gang were full of joy when they saw all that attention sent their way during the G 20 - what do you think they were thinking....that they had better be more kind...................... NO they were thinking that they were the elite and they could send the cops in to beat the shit out of you and that is what they did - live with it.