What is a Christian?

betsy

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to know what a Christian is?

I'll show you Christians.

A couple who, because of their faith in the creating God, left heir confortable life and are serving the poor in a Third World country.

A man who, because of his faith in the creating God, spends one evening a week providing security at a Out of the Cold location.

A women who, because of her faith in the creating God, has pledged to live her life in a religious community in a foreign country.

People who, because of their faith in the creating God, have shared the lives of people with developmenttal disabilities.

Men and women who, because of their faith in the creating God, live the best that they can, in their ordinary lives, with successes and with failures, the call to serve God and love others.

THAT,s how one recognizes a Christian.

Yes, Christians do those.....even simple tasks as helping your neighbor in anyway when he is sick, or consoling someone who's going through the difficult time of grief,....or praying for someone.

It is not how much money or time you give.....it is what is in your heart. The sincerity and genuine caring for your fellowmen.

If you give to charity so you can brag about it or receive recognition for it, it doesn't count. You've already received your reward for it - through the worldly recognition that you sought.

BUT, let's not forget the foremost duty of a Christian: To spread the Gospel, and to make disciples by teaching all people what He taught His followers.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Edited by betsy

I've listened to a pastor who just came back after 25 years in Istanbul, and he related to us the things that are happening in Turkey....that's not being talked about in the media (lest they offend some people).

Christian missionaries managed to get around the laws of Turkey and have been converting successfully. Not too long ago, I didn't get the exact details - it's about call-in station - the Gospel's been broadcasted in the airwave for at least 2 hours. There are now 200+ "churches" in Turkey. Recently in the news, Turkey (wanting to be accepted in the global community) gave back lands they've confiscated from Christians.

Why is it ok for people to believe in religious ideas without any evidence, but it's not ok for poltiicians to make policy on faith, or doctors to do surgery on faith, or plane mechanics to fix your commuter jet on faith, or scientists to publish conclusions in journals on faith? The only sphere of life where this is allowed is religion. And by making it untouchable and fostering irrational beliefs, we protect the most horrific atrocities that are committed in its name because people must be allowed to have these beliefs not based on anything other than the imagination of past generations.

Why wouldn't it be OK for people believe in religious ideas, as long as they don't try to force you to share them, or discriminate against you because you don't share them?

There are plenty of people of faith who have not, do not, and will not condone atrocities committed in the name of their or other's religious faiths. I know, I am one of them. The same ads they are many people who do not believe there is a God and who have not, do not and will not coondone atrocities committed in the name of getting the world rid of the idea there is a God.

As for the idea that religious faith is irrational belief,, it is no more irrational in my book than the idea that Universe, and life, are the product of chance. You have the absolute right to think that the absence of a scientific evidence for the object of faith makes it irraltional. I beg to differ.

BUT, let's not forget the foremost duty of a Christian: To spread the Gospel, and to make disciples by teaching all people what He taught His followers.

The duty to spread the Gospel includes includes a duty to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Including not propagating falsehoods about what science has found about the Universe created by God - including evolution. And including not making false claims that the Bible talks about scientific facts that are not found in it.

Edited by CANADIEN

That has absolutely nothing to do with atheism. I'm sure there are plenty of religious environmentalists and climatologists. They quite literally have nothing to do with each other.

...and I am quite sure that many of them are "atheists" too. My point was larger than that...but it went right over your head.

The duty to spread the Gospel includes includes a duty to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Including not propagating falsehoods about what science has found about the Universe created by God - including evolution. And including not making false claims that the Bible talks about scientific facts that are not found in it.

True. We shouldn't state any falsehoods. That's why when I post facts in The Bible, I make sure that's what they are. Facts.

Science - knowledge - is given by God.

Agree or disagree?

Edited by betsy

Agree or disagree?

First, let's define science, shall we?

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

"knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method . . . such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena"

With hat understanding in mind, and since God has given humans the capacity to know and to seek knowledge of His creation, science has been given by God.

This is not to say, though, that your so called "facts" about the Bible containing scientific knowledge (gravity, the expending universe, atoms being three examples that come to mind) are to be accepted. Sure, some practices (laws regarding hygiene) described in the Bible are still in use today, but biblical-time Jews were not the only ones with that knowledge. many of the locations and individuals mentioned in the Bbible have been confirmed through archeological findings, but the Bbile is not the only early text in that situation. In both cases, the constant droning of "her's another fact" does little to advance understanding that the Bible is the word of God, and in fact reduces it to a level of a historic or mythological fiction.

As for the reminder of your facts, g_bambino has explained it a lot better than me on another thread 9even though it is fair to conclude he doesn't believe in God of the Bible). To conclude that the Bible describes gravity, for example, one must have a fairly poor understanding of what gravity is in the first place, coupled with the capacity to interpret non-existing sense out of a text.

The Bible is the Word of God, and it talks about His creation. It is where a person of faith can find truth about God, the fact He created, and our relationship with Him. But it is not where people will find the turth about how He created and how His creation works. That's not the point of the Bible.

Edited by CANADIEN

• 10 months later...

First, let's define science, shall we?

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

With hat understanding in mind, and since God has given humans the capacity to know and to seek knowledge of His creation, science has been given by God.

This is not to say, though, that your so called "facts" about the Bible containing scientific knowledge (gravity, the expending universe, atoms being three examples that come to mind) are to be accepted. Sure, some practices (laws regarding hygiene) described in the Bible are still in use today, but biblical-time Jews were not the only ones with that knowledge. many of the locations and individuals mentioned in the Bbible have been confirmed through archeological findings, but the Bbile is not the only early text in that situation. In both cases, the constant droning of "her's another fact" does little to advance understanding that the Bible is the word of God, and in fact reduces it to a level of a historic or mythological fiction.

As for the reminder of your facts, g_bambino has explained it a lot better than me on another thread 9even though it is fair to conclude he doesn't believe in God of the Bible). To conclude that the Bible describes gravity, for example, one must have a fairly poor understanding of what gravity is in the first place, coupled with the capacity to interpret non-existing sense out of a text.

The Bible is the Word of God, and it talks about His creation. It is where a person of faith can find truth about God, the fact He created, and our relationship with Him. But it is not where people will find the turth about how He created and how His creation works. That's not the point of the Bible.

My point in stating those facts is not to explain how He created. It is to point out that only the Creator could've possibly known since He has intimate knowledge of His creation. The listed Bible facts emphasizes that indeed He created.

Edited by betsy

True. We shouldn't state any falsehoods. That's why when I post facts in The Bible, I make sure that's what they are. Facts.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree. Can you prove through science that god gave you science? Didn't think so, because science would have to first prove that there is a god. And since there is no scientific method fo validate god, your argument dies right there.

Also knowledge and science are two different things. You can gain knowledge through science, but science is simply the method of verification to uphold that knowledge.

Disagree. Can you prove through science that god gave you science?

Agree or disagree?

That question was intended for another Christian, Canadien. Why on earth would you think I'd even dream about asking you or any atheist that?

Edited by betsy

Agree or disagree?

As a devout, self-righteous born-again Christian, I wholeheartedly agree. That's why I can't believe the blasphemers on this board who deny God created this wonderful evolving earth and subscribe to the pagan idea that evolution never happened.

You cannot deny God's Creation!

Agree or disagree?

That question was intended for another Christian, Canadien. Why on earth would you think I'd even dream about asking you or any atheist that?

If you're looking for an echo chamber for your religious views, there's better places on the internet to post.

• 2 years later...

http://thedailybanter.com/2015/01/good-christian-sarah-palin-poses-fuc_-michael-moore-crosshairs-sign/

I will not disparage Christianity because of a "few" or "many" zealots:

Good Christian Sarah Palin Poses With ‘Fuc_ You Michael Moore’ Crosshairs Sign

palinthumb-576x400.jpg

It's worth resurrecting this thread, since the rise of the right wing evangelical Christian nationalists in the U.S. are definitive proof that you can turn an established religion's 2000 years of history on its head, and still call yourself a Christian!

Every religion (and non-religion) can have its dangerous, belligerent extremist groups, and can find reasons to make their religion line up with their own goals and desires.

It's worth resurrecting this thread, since the rise of the right wing evangelical Christian nationalists in the U.S. are definitive proof that you can turn an established religion's 2000 years of history on its head, and still call yourself a Christian!

So would you be OK with the "rise of the right wing" without any religious component in another country, or would you still worry about it night and day from Canada ?