Jack Layton out as Opposition Leader?

Think that's what this is about?

NDP Leader Jack Layton is scheduled to make what is being billed as a major announcement at 2 p.m. ET Monday in downtown Toronto, the party says.

News of the announcement immediately triggered speculation in Ottawa over whether it has anything to do with the NDP leader's health.

Layton was diagnosed with prostate cancer in late 2009 and went public with it in February 2010.

He also underwent hip surgery ahead of the last federal election campaign, which saw the New Democrats capture a record number of seats and become the Official Opposition for the first time in the party's history.

Reports were that he seemed a bit frail during the election campaign.

Perhaps they can make the Hottie that never visited her riding the Opposition Leader. :D

Edited by Boges

Think that's what this is about?

Reports were that he seemed a bit frail during the election campaign.

Perhaps they can make the Hottie that never visited her riding the Opposition Leader. :D

More cancer, apparently he is not doing well and is recommending Nycole Turmel to be interim leader until he comes back in the fall after treatment...

Message from Jack Layton-

"On February 5th, 2010 I shared with Canadians that I, like 25,000 other Canadian men every year, had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

I have received overwhelming support from my loving family, my friends, my caucus and party, and thousands of everyday Canadians.

Their stories and support have touched me. And I have drawn strength and inspiration from them.

In the closing days of the most recent session of the House of Commons, I suffered from some stiffness and pain.

After the House rose, I undertook a series of tests at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto.

My battle against prostate cancer is going very well. My PSA levels remain virtually undetectable.

However, these tests, whose results I received last week, also indicate that I have a new, non-prostate cancer that will require further treatment.

So, on the advice of my doctors, I am going to focus on treatment and recovery.

I will therefore be taking a temporary leave of absence as Leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada. I'm going to fight this cancer now, so I can be back to fight for families when Parliament resumes.

To that end, I have requested that the President of our party, Brian Topp, consult our Parliamentary caucus and then convene a meeting of our party's federal council to appoint an interim leader.

The interim leader will serve until I resume my duties.

I intend to do so when Parliament meets on September 19th.

I am also making a recommendation on who the interim leader should be.

I suggest that Hull-Aylmer MP Nycole Turmel be named interim leader during this period.

Ms. Turmel enjoys unanimous support as the national chair of our Parliamentary caucus. She is an experienced national leader in both official languages. And she will do an excellent job as our national interim leader.

Let me conclude by saying this.

If I have tried to bring anything to federal politics, it is the idea that hope and optimism should be at their heart.

We CAN look after each other better than we do today. We CAN have a fiscally responsible government. We CAN have a strong economy; greater equality; a clean environment.

We CAN be a force for peace in the world.

I am as hopeful and optimistic about all of this as I was the day I began my political work, many years ago.

I am hopeful and optimistic about the personal battle that lies before me in the weeks to come.

And I am very hopeful and optimistic that our party will continue to move forward.

We WILL replace the Conservative government, a few short years from now.

And we WILL work with Canadians to build the country of our hopes

Of our dreams

Of our optimism

Of our determination

Of our values...

Of our love.

Thank you."

Jack Layton

Such a shame! I've never shared his politics but I always thought that since he was a guitar player he couldn't be all bad!

Cancer is the only 4 letter word spelled with 6 letters.

If I may speak politically.

Let's be honest. Without Layton this party is a rudderless mess.

It's not like all those MP's in Quebec got elected because they were qualified or anything. They were elected because people seem to like Jack. Oh and Quebec is a province full of "me-first" idiots.

Thomas Muclair is fairly charismatic but Jack says he wants another Quebec lady in charge.

Seeing pics of Jack today and hearing him on the radio, there's pretty much zero chance he'll be back in the house by September, if ever. :(

This is terrible, sad news. I can't help wondering if things would have been different had he stepped aside when he was first diagnosed in 2010. The grueling pace of the election campaign must have taken its toll on him. He's in the battle of his life and I wish him and his family all the best.

Thomas Muclair is fairly charismatic but Jack says he wants another Quebec lady in charge.

If Jack wants Nycole Turmel as interim leader, the party does well to bow to his wishes. The NDP owes him that much for all he has invested in leading them to opposition status.

We all like being right about things, but this time I wish I wasn't. I didn't think Jack would be able to escape further cancers. Stress is the worse thing a person battling cancer can have, it doesn't let the body fight the cancer and depending on the treatment he has had, that too, can stop the survival rate. I really hope he makes it, but its going to take a BIG miracle for him to survive this and miracles do happen to some people with cancer. I saw him today and it reminded me of my mom who didn't survive and they gave her 6 months and 3 and 6 months is the normal, depending how far along the cancer has spread. My spouse had cancer and DID survive and the difference is, he never lost any weight and she did, down to 80 lbs. Very sad for his family and I pray he can make it and be that miracle.

I have seen the replay of his press conference and there is a big change in his voice.It is much weaker and frail now.He has also lost some weight too.

It could also be that we are use to seeing an energitic and fiery Jack and his health now is in sharp contrast,amplifieng our fears.

I met him at a rally in Bramalea around the end of April.I shook his hand and shared a few words with him.He seemed in good health to me but that was just a brief encounter and I am not a medical professional.

On a positive note he has youth,strong support and natural strength.

He'll be back!

Oh crap :(

I know TV doesn't do justice to people, and its hard to make any diagnosis from a clip, but the rate of deterioration does not look good from what I see.

My father died of prostate cancer as well. Before becoming ill, he was a big man, and the treatment, and cancer, both took its toll on his strength. He lived a few months as his body quickly deteriorated. Once it spread to his bones, it was a matter of weeks. If Jack's cancer has spread, then this is not good news.

I hope I'm wrong.

I can not understand why he just doesn't retire, he's accomplished slot for his party but he's obviously quite unhealthy. He's had prostate cancer, then hip problems and now more cancer, which could likely be related to his hip (At the moment I have a family member who is suffering from bone cancer which was discovered after having trouble with her leg and hip). I wish him the best but I think it's time for him to leave politics and focus souly on himself. Of course that's just what I would do in his case, and this is his decision.

I can not understand why he just doesn't retire, he's accomplished slot for his party but he's obviously quite unhealthy. He's had prostate cancer, then hip problems and now more cancer, which could likely be related to his hip (At the moment I have a family member who is suffering from bone cancer which was discovered after having trouble with her leg and hip). I wish him the best but I think it's time for him to leave politics and focus souly on himself. Of course that's just what I would do in his case, and this is his decision.

He is the great grandson of a father of confederation, the Grandson of a Cabinet Minster, the son of a Cabinet Minster. It is in his blood, it is what he loves to do, and I would not ask him to give that up unless he truly wanted to.

Guest American Woman

Perhaps staying active in politics gives him something else besides his illness to think about, to focus on; obviously he thinks it's too important to give up. Perhaps he's lived as long as he has because he's stayed active in politics.

I wish him well.

odds of jack winning this battle, very small...he said it wasn't his prostrate but then it wouldn't be if they've removed it, if like my father it has moved on to his bones it's a lost battle...

Mrs. RNG was an oncological dietician for 13 years. She says that often prostate cancer metastasizes to bone, as you say. But given the very rapid weight loss it is probably lung, another thing that prostate moves to, or maybe liver. And like many here, I disagreed with his politics, but respected the man. I hope Mrs. RNG is wrong.

Edited by RNG